Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Issues with Quotes > Sun Tzu

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Jones (shibumimc) | 5 comments The following attributions to SUN TZU are in fact not quotes from the Art of War. Please contact me if you need further information.

“A leader leads by example, not by force”

“To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
“If quick, I survive.
If not quick, I am lost.
This is "death.”

“Rewards for good service should not be deferred a single day.”

“Great results, can be achieved with small forces.”

“Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.”

“who does not know the evils of war cannot appreciate its benefits”

“The King is only fond of words, and cannot translate them into deeds.”

“If you don't have a righteous objective,eventually you will suffer. When you do the right thing for the right reason,the right result awaits.”
― Chin-Ning Chu, The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work

“Be where your enemy is not.”

“[...]you don’t have to be Sun freakin Tzu to know that real fighting isn’t about killing or even hurting the other guy, it’s about scaring him enough to call it a day.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the

“The Art of War is self-explanatory”

“Convince your enemy that he will gain very little by attacking you; this will diminish his enthusiasm”

“Wheels of justice gind (sic) slow but grind fine”

“If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.

“All is fair in love and war”

“One mark of a great soldier is that he fight on his own terms or fights not at all.”

“If the mind is willing, the flesh could go on and on without many things.”

“Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across.”

“You have to believe in yourself. ”

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”

“Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?”
“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”

“Even the finest sword plunged into salt water will eventually rust.”

“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.”

message 2: by Empress (last edited Feb 08, 2014 08:44AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Not all quotes you posted are contributed to him! It is evident from your post.

I'm also checking in the book. .... Will post which quotes are in the book and the chapter where I have found those quotes.

CHECKED SO FAR:

“A leader leads by example, not by force” – DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK AND IS NOT CONTRIBUTED TO THE BOOK!

“To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” – DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, REMOVED CONTRIBUTION TO BOOK

“If quick, I survive.
If not quick, I am lost.
This is "death.” –– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, CONTRIBUTION has been removed. Probably still caching

“Rewards for good service should not be deferred a single day.”
in the book, chapter: [XII. THE ATTACK BY FIRE]

“Great results, can be achieved with small forces.” -> "Great results," he adds, "can thus be achieved with small forces."
in the book, chapter: [V. ENERGY]

“Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.”
in the book, chapter: [III. ATTACK BY STRATAGEM, 18]

“who does not know the evils of war cannot appreciate its benefits” -> "He who does not know the evils of war cannot appreciate its benefits," [II. WAGING WAR]

“The King is only fond of words, and cannot translate them into deeds.”
in the book, chapter: [INTRODUCTION]

“If you don't have a righteous objective, eventually you will suffer. When you do the right thing for the right reason,the right result awaits.”
― Chin-Ning Chu, The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work - This is not contributed to Sun Tzu or the book!: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/2941...

“Be where your enemy is not.” – DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, removed contribution to book

“[...]you don’t have to be Sun freakin Tzu to know that real fighting isn’t about killing or even hurting the other guy, it’s about scaring him enough to call it a day.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the This is not contributed to Sun Tzu or the book!: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/4583...

“The Art of War is self-explanatory” – DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, removed contribution

“Convince your enemy that he will gain very little by attacking you; this will diminish his enthusiasm”– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK and it is not contributed to this book

“Wheels of justice gind (sic) slow but grind fine”– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, and it is not contributed to this book

“If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by. – DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK and it is not contributed to this book

“All is fair in love and war” – DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, removed from book quotes

“One mark of a great soldier is that he fight on his own terms or fights not at all.”
in the book, chapter: [VI. WEAK POINTS AND STRONG, Under N.2 in brakets see spoiler bellow: ]

(view spoiler)

message 3: by David (new)

David Jones (shibumimc) | 5 comments Those three are not from authoritative Sun Tzu sources. You should be going to the Giles text. If you post the chapter and verse I will then post what the lines should be.

message 4: by Empress (last edited Feb 08, 2014 08:52AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) “If the mind is willing, the flesh could go on and on without many things.” – DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, removed from book quotes

“Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across.”– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, not in the book quotes on GR

“You have to believe in yourself. ”– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK not in the book quotes on GR

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK not in the book quotes on GR

“Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?” – DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, fixed, removed from book quotes

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, not contributed to the book on GR.

“Even the finest sword plunged into salt water will eventually rust.”– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, removed from book quotes

“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” .”– DID NOT FIND IN THE BOOK, removed from book quotes

message 5: by Empress (last edited Feb 08, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) I would like to kindly ask you, next time before you post, to check two things for each quote:

1. If the quote really is/isn't in the book. Some editions might be different [extended, revised, annotated, etc.]

2. If the quote isn't in the book, please check if it really needs correction on GR. At least half of the posted quotes were not in "The Art of War" quotes on GR and needed no fixing.
[You may have searched for the art of war, but that doesn't mean all results will be from the author or the book. The quotes are clearly labeled and tagged.]

3. If you are not sure for any of the above and would like us to research the correct contribution for quotes, would really be helpful if you post the links to each quotes page on GR and possibly any external sources that may clarify the quote's original author/book.

4. If a quote has 500+ likes a librarian will not be able to help you, You will need to request a help from a Super-Librarian.

Thank you, please ask if you have any questions.

Edit: All quotes are checked and fixed now.

P.S. If you are the author David G. Jones you can request a Goodreads profile from this link.

message 6: by Empress (last edited Feb 08, 2014 09:07AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) David wrote: "Those three are not from authoritative Sun Tzu sources. You should be going to the Giles text. If you post the chapter and verse I will then post what the lines should be."

Sorry I have edited my post. If you can post which quotes, the book and title I will check this again.

Thank you

From the art of war:

15. Unhappy is the fate of one who tries to win his battles and succeed in his attacks without cultivating the spirit of enterprise; for the result is waste of time and general stagnation.
[This is one of the most perplexing passages in Sun Tzu. Ts`ao Kung says: "Rewards for good service should not be deferred a single day." And Tu Mu: "If you do not take opportunity to advance and reward the deserving, your subordinates will not carry out your commands, and disaster will ensue." For several reasons, however, and in spite of the formidable array of scholars on the other side, I prefer the interpretation suggested by Mei Yao-ch`en alone, whose words I will quote: "Those who want to make sure of succeeding in their battles and assaults must seize the favorable moments when they come and not shrink on occasion from heroic measures: that is to say, they must resort to such means of attack of fire, water and the like. What they must not do, and what will prove fatal, is to sit still and simply hold to the advantages they have got."]

message 7: by David (new)

David Jones (shibumimc) | 5 comments This is really excellent. Thank you. The "15. Uphappy is the fate..." is from a Sun Tzu commentary and is not a quote from Sun Tzu. "The king is only fond...." is from the alleged "autobiography of Sun Tzu" - but is once again not a Sun Tzu quote.

message 8: by Empress (last edited Feb 08, 2014 09:59AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) David wrote: "This is really excellent. Thank you. The "15. Uphappy is the fate..." is from a Sun Tzu commentary and is not a quote from Sun Tzu. "The king is only fond...." is from the alleged "autobiography of..."

Thank you. I will look into that now.

Will it be correct to contribute the first quote to Ts‘ao Kung? Is that a actual person?

Is this the correct biography to contribute the second quote to? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 9: by David (new)

David Jones (shibumimc) | 5 comments Hi Mark. An interesting notion - however it is not Sun Tzu. I seem to recall someone saying it came from a Hollywood movie. Having said that I have no idea what this means in practice.

message 10: by David (new)

David Jones (shibumimc) | 5 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "David wrote: "This is really excellent. Thank you. The "15. Uphappy is the fate..." is from a Sun Tzu commentary and is not a quote from Sun Tzu. "The king is only fond...." is from the alleged "au..."

Yes. There have been commentaries about Sun Tzu since it first appeared 2300 years ago. This is a legitimate one.