Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Anansi Boys (American Gods, #2)
This topic is about Anansi Boys
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Gaiman, Neil - Anansi Boys (American Gods #2) - "Relaxed Buddy Read" Start Date April 12, 2014

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31139 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS

What is a buddy read?

About this Buddy Read
A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers

Synopsis
Fat Charlie Nancy's normal life ended the moment his father dropped dead on a Florida karaoke stage. Charlie didn't know his dad was a god. And he never knew he had a brother.

Now brother Spider's on his doorstep -- about to make Fat Charlie's life more interesting... and a lot more dangerous.

Neil Gaiman Seasonal Challenge
This is our April 2014 choice. If you want to join us for a Neil Gaiman BR a month, you can sign up here

You do not need to be part of the challenge to join this buddy read. Everyone is welcome!

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman Anansi Boys (American Gods, #2) by Neil Gaiman Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman Anansi Boys (Anak-Anak Anansi) by Neil Gaiman

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31139 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14466 comments Mod
Lenny Henry is the narrator for the audio book which is pretty cool!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Not sure how much Ill get to comment on this book as I'm on holiday next weekend, but we will see ;)

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

No worries Nicole, Many people will be I think!

I am only two chapters in, but it already seems "lighter" than American Gods. As usual I didn't read the synopsis before starting so I was surprised and a bit sad when his father dropped dead, but I love the humour brought into it by the manner of his death and then the mix up at the funeral. I hope the book keeps up this pace

message 6: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Elizabeth (susan_e_lizabeth) @Karen - I didn't read the description of American Gods before jumping in. 100 pages in and I still wasn't quite sure what it was about, ha! I think about page 110 I said ah-ha, ok, this is what's going on.

Andrew (andrew619) | 21 comments I started this book today, in the ebook version. It's much lighter than American Gods, with less hidden meanings and references to legends and characters, at least until now. I read only the first three chapters.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

lol Susan, I understand!

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok I am five chapters in and I may regret saying this later, but I am *loving* this book. I have it on audio in the car and I am constantly laughing out loud. This is the funniest Gaiman I have come across. I honestly didn't expect this book to be so light/enjoyable.
And the characters are awesome. Graham Coates cracks me up. Actually they all do.

Andrew I am totally with you that this book is much more accessible than American Gods. If it continues the way it has started I will be recommending this as *the* Gaiman book for people to read if they haven't read him before

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm just behind you, Karen, at three chapters in. Enjoying it so far :)

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I wonder if it is Lenny Henry that is making the book have a more comedic feel on audio. I'll be interested in your thoughts on the next two chapters :)

Kristie | 3280 comments Karen wrote: "Ok I am five chapters in and I may regret saying this later, but I am *loving* this book. I have it on audio in the car and I am constantly laughing out loud. This is the funniest Gaiman I have com..."

Good to hear! I may have to read this one after all. lol. It will have to wait though because I have too many other reads right now.

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 13

I'm still loving this book.

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 503 comments I'm up to Chapter 7. I really like the chapter titles. This is a reread for me (I first read it over a year ago.) I like this much better than American Gods, which I didn't finish. This is more fast paced and I like the writing better. Spider is a really fun character. Favorite quotes:

"Songs remain. They last. The right song can turn an emperor into a laughingstock, can bring down dynasties. A song can last long after the events and the people in it are dust and dreams and gone. That's the power of songs."

"Stories are like spiders, with all they long legs, and stories are like spiderwebs, which a man gets himself all tangled up in but which look so pretty when you see them under a leaf in the morning dew, and in the elegant way that they connect to one another, each to each."

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great quotes Beth!
There are so many great lines in this book. I can see myself re-reading it

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments The chapter titles are amazing. I am now up to chapter 11 and I don't think it's just the audio, Karen. This book is just hilarious.

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

The chapter titles are great. I think my favourite is the pink flamingo one (I won't quote it in case of spoilers!)

I have finished and I just loved this book. It is the ultimate Gaiman for me. I won't get into detail until more people finish, but I gave it 4.5 stars.
LOVED the humour, the characters, and the accessibility and explanation of the mythology surrounding it.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I think the only time I wasn't completely in board with this story was in those times when I was hiding from the awkward of the scenes between Spider and Charlie when Spider first started after Rosie ;)

message 19: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 503 comments I finished the book this morning. I decided to switch to the audiobook a few days ago to see what it was like, and it sounds perfect. This is really well suited to audio. This book isn't quite as funny or exciting as Good Omens, to me, but I had a great time rereading it.