Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - POTS > Team 1

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bea (last edited Feb 07, 2014 10:21PM) (new)

Bea | 4713 comments Mod
Team 1
Susan - 3 books from POTS Choices
Bea - 2 books from POTS
Lyn - 1 book from To Read Mine
Amy - 3 books from To Read

Theme: War

Rules Reminders
1. The number of books you pick for each member is equal to the number they have elected to read +1.
2. When picking books for your team members, there are two things to be aware of:
-At least one of the books you pick for each of your team members must fit the theme for the cycle.
-A book may only be referred once per cycle, i.e. if member A has picked The Witness for me, it cannot be picked by anyone else that cycle.

message 2: by Bea (last edited Feb 07, 2014 10:46PM) (new)

message 3: by Susan (last edited Feb 09, 2014 08:16AM) (new)

Susan | 3459 comments Mod
My picks for Team 1:

Bea
Three Day Road - theme
Snow Flower
Flaubert's Parrot

Lyn
The Brothers of Gwynned - theme, and one of my all-time favorites
The Language of Threads

Amy
People of the Book - tenuous connection to the theme, but a great book
On the Jellicoe Road
The Blood of Flowers
The Windup Girl

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2145 comments Susan wrote: "My picks for Team 1:

Bea
Three Day Road - theme
Snow Flower
Flaubert's Parrot

Lyn
The Brothers of Gwynned - theme, and one of my all-time f..."

Susan...if possible can you substitute another title for Jasper Jones because I finished it a couple of days ago. I neglected to mark it read to get it off of my to-read...sorry.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Amy wrote: "Susan...if possible can you substitute another title for Jasper Jones because I finished it a couple of days ago. I neglected to mark it read to get it off of my to-read...sorry. "

Sure. I'd also wanted to include On the Jellicoe Road, so that's an easy substitution. Both Australian, works I would never have learned about if it hadn't been for this group.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2830 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "My picks for Team 1:

Bea
Three Day Road - theme
Snow Flower
Flaubert's Parrot

Lyn
The Brothers of Gwynned - theme, and one of my all-time f..."

The People of the Book is one of my all time faves.. I loved the way she set the book up!

message 9: by Bea (last edited Feb 10, 2014 03:58AM) (new)

Bea | 4713 comments Mod
Oh, good. Everyone has chosen so we can start reading!

I plan to start with Six Mornings on Sanibel by Charles Sobczak . I know this area as my cousins own a house there and my mother lives in Fort Myers. I think it will be a fun and quick read.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Oops. I just finished State of Wonder a couple days ago. It was great. No need to pick a replacement, though. I think there are plenty for me to choose from even without it.

message 11: by Susan (last edited Feb 10, 2014 07:15AM) (new)

I'm going to listen to Mississippi Jack rather than reading it, because I think this series is one of the best I've ever listened to. I'll start now, but that may or may not mean I finish before we're done. We have through the end of March, right?

I have on hand and will start soon one of ...
Poison Study
Looking for Alibrandi
City of Fallen Angels
The Time Machine

I've requested from the library ...
Scarlet
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Great choices, everyone. Thanks!!

Not sure what I am going to read, but there are some here that I have really been looking forward to. My initial choices are either Smoke and Murders, The Killer Angels, or The Language of Threads

message 13: by Susan (new)

I actually lost track of this, and have read 4 of your choices for me, even though I only signed up for 3:

Poison Study, 3.5 stars
City of Fallen Angels, 3 stars.
State of Wonder, 4 stars
The Time Machine, 3 stars

And I think I'll read Scarlet, soon, too. My bookclub is discussing its predecessor this week, which reminds me how much I liked it.

message 14: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Feb 23, 2014 01:53PM) (new)

Susan - I would agree with your ranking on Poison Study. Are you planning to read the rest of the series?

message 15: by Susan (last edited Feb 24, 2014 08:09AM) (new)

readinghearts (Lyn M) wrote: "Susan - I would agree with your ranking on Poison Study. Are you planning to read the rest of the series?"

Yes, the books at least. There are also some short stories in the series, which are available free on her web site. And I didn't like the first one I read, Assassin Study. So I'll probably skip the rest of those.

message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4713 comments Mod
I finished Six Mornings on Sanibel. It turned out to be different than my expectatins and very thought-provoking. I gave it 3.5*.

My next book will be either A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain or Flaubert's Parrot.

message 17: by Bea (last edited Mar 22, 2014 10:45AM) (new)

Bea | 4713 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "My next book will be either A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain or Flaubert's Parrot."

Well, best laid plans...I forgot what my next book was going to be and picked up Lord Of The Dance. I am finishing it today and give it 4*.

POTS is done for me.

Congrats, Bea. I am still trying to finish my book. I should be done by the end of the month, though.