Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
This topic is about Good Omens
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Gaiman, Neil & Pratchett, Terry- Good Omens - "Relaxed" Buddy Read - Start March 12 2014

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 07, 2014 10:05PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS

What is a buddy read?

About this Buddy Read
A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers

Synopsis
According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.

And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .

Neil Gaiman Seasonal Challenge
This is our March 2014 choice. If you want to join us for a Neil Gaiman BR a month, you can sign up here

You do not need to be part of the challenge to join this buddy read. Everyone is welcome!

Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Good Omens by Neil Gaiman Good Omens by Terry Pratchett Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman Good Omens by Terry Pratchett Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Good Omens by Terry Pratchett Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman
Note: This book was previously read in January 2013. Click here to get to the discussion. Be aware it contains spoilers!!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 07, 2014 10:11PM) (new) - added it

Suggested reading schedule

March 12 : "In the Beginning" - "Eleven Years Ago"
March 13: "Wednesday"

March 15: "Thursday" and "Friday"

March 17: "Saturday" and "Sunday"

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Previous discussion questions

Questions and Comments for In the Beginning - Eleven Years Ago by Lisarenee
(view spoiler)

Questions and Comments for the section entitled Wednesday by Lisarenee
(view spoiler)

Questions and Comments for the sections entitled Thursday and Friday by Lisarenee
(view spoiler)

Questions and Comments for Part One of Saturday by Mary
(view spoiler)

Questions and Comments for Part Two of Saturday and Sunday by Mary
(view spoiler)

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Yay!

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14466 comments Mod
A little lighter than American Gods I would think (hope)!

Kristie | 3280 comments I skipped American Gods, but I'm in for this one.

Sarah | 3273 comments Yeah. I heard this one is funnier and I love me some English wit

Beth | 503 comments I want to join this one. I have the book reserved from the library so I should have it in time. I've read it before, several years ago.

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Mar 12, 2014 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am going to read this one, but looks like I might be late to the party. I am just really busy with work right now and have been struggling to get some reading time!!

Kristie | 3280 comments I've started this one. I'm not sure what I think about it yet. I'm about 25% in and I feel like it's getting more interesting, but I'm not really hooked.

message 11: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 503 comments Since I've read this before, I can't really comment on the "what do you think will happen" type of questions upthread.

I remembered a lot of the jokes, but I forgot some important things (like the details of the baby switch) until I started rereading.

I like how Crowley and Aziraphale have been changed by their time on Earth:

"He rather liked people. It was a major failing in a demon."
vs
"Aziraphale felt the occasional pang of guilt about this, but centuries of association with humanity was having the same effect on him as it was on Crowley, except in the opposite direction."

Other favorite parts -
- "And just when you'd think they were more malignant than Hell could ever be, they could occasionally show more grace than Heaven ever dreamed of. Often the same individual was involved."
- "the boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell."
- "Saying he'll grow up to be a demon just because his dad became one is like saying a mouse with his tail cut off will give birth to tailless mice. No.
Upbringing is everything. Take it from me."
- the drinking scene (where the quote above is from) is my favorite in this section, and maybe my favorite in the book (47-52 in the American paperback).
- the ducks!

The Annotated Pratchett File has some interesting notes, especially the explanation for the "Best of Queen" joke:
http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/good-...

Sarah | 3273 comments Questions and Comments for In the Beginning - Eleven Years Ago by Lisarenee
[
1) So we have an angel and a demon who aren't quite friends but seem to hang around each other. The demon was once an angel. I'm guessing the two perhaps knew each other before Crowley started working for the dark side. Did you recognize that Crowley was Crawley right away? Did you like how he maintained some of his snake-like characteristics even in a more humanly form?
"he was wearing snakeskin shoes, or at least presumable he was wearing shoes, and he could do really weird thing with his tongue. And, whenever he forgot himself, he had a tendency to hiss."

Yes, I picked up on that. So this is the serpent. I like him.

2) We have a misplaced Antichrist baby. Here's the run down of who went where:
The Youngs got the Antichrist and named him Adam
The Dowlings got the Young's baby and named him Warlock
The Dowlings baby ended up with the sisters. What do you think happened to him? Do you think he possibly stayed with the sisters or got adopted or do you suspect they disposed of him?

I thought the Dowlings baby would be raised with the nuns. Or maybe he was used in some satanic sacrifice. I also wasn't sure if there was a mistake made and the Antichrist actually was given to the Dowlings and the Youngs got left with there own baby. It seemed the nuns got a little confused making the switch. Maybe not.

3) We have several questionable people whose part in all this I'm unsure of:
Anathema Device - 8 year old girl who will only live until the age of 11? Did I get that right?
I don't know.

Newton Pulsifer - 12 year old inventor? Likes electricity.
Scarlett - former arms dealer who might become journalist?
Sable - wrote a diet book which slowly starves people to death? He signed a copy as Dr. Raven Sable but has no degree and is not a doctor.
Mr. White - seems to be present when bad things happen--Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and Windscale.
Any suspicions on how these guys will come into play with this one? Are they for team Satan?

That is what I was thinking.

4) Thoughts on Warlock's upbringing? How'd you like the revised nursery rhymes? Do you think this experience will end up testing the question that Aziraphale posed about genetics? "What will hapen to the child if it doesn't get a Satanic upbringing, though?"

Don't know - is this what they are testing?

5) What role will Agnes Nutter's prophecies play? Will we ever find out what she predicted?

I hope so.

6) First impressions of Crowley and Azirphale?

There was one statement that I thought summed it up for them about being enemies for so long they were almost friends. I feel bad for Azirphale - heaven isn't seeming so great - NO SUSHI - I'll take hell any day.

Sarah | 3273 comments Chapter Wednesday - maybe I was right - something did go wrong with the baby mix up. Adirphale and Crowley are questioning the nun Mary about it right now - must read more.

Kristie | 3280 comments Looked up a bit of info:

Anathema is a self-sufficient young woman with a Ph.D. degree. She is also a descendant of the ancient witch Agnes Nutter.

Azreal = Death
Dr. Raven Sable = Famine
Chalky, aka Mr. White = Pollution
Carmine "Red" Zuigiber, aka Scarlett = War

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Karen, I'm like you. I'm guessing you're also putting off Wideacre till you have more time?

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Started this last night when I couldn't sleep... Hopefully I can get through the next chapter soon and leave comments :) I do like it so far

I am totally enthralled in
Night Film by Marisha Pessl
and have to finish it for a F2F book club (at my house!) this weekend. So I need to be a reading machine this week to get through that, get more into Good Omens and start wideacre!! :o

message 17: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 503 comments I finished it today (how appropriate, the book itself ends on Sunday) and I'm interested to see other people's reactions. I'll probably have something to add later.

Sarah | 3273 comments "Aziraphale was an Angel, but he also worshipped books."

Sarah | 3273 comments 7)So as Sara mentioned above I was wrong about Anathema Device. She does appear to live past her 11th birthday. She also runs into Crowley and Aziraphale and her significant part (at least so far) is that she inadvertently loses Agnes Nutter's book of Prophecies in the back of Crowley's Bentley and it comes into the possession of Aziraphale. I wonder if we'll see her again?

I think so.

8) Scarlett is now nicknamed Red and going by the name Carmine Zuigiber and is now a journalist like she wanted. Carmine, by the way, is vivid color of crimson so I love how these guys still keep their names in a manner of speaking. After finding out war keeps breaking out wherever she goes, could she be some sort of horseman of the apocalypse? Isn't one war? Could Sable with his starvation plan be famine? I may be way off with this one as we only have three colors. I guess Mr. White might be death if it holds true??? I've read a lot of apocalypse novels so that's where my mind is gearing to.

9) What did you think of the hellhound? The build up of the name being so important only to be named Dog. Oh, the horror. lol

Cute little poochy.

10) What did you think of Mary leasing the building and holding clinics for building team spirit among employees? I always knew those things were evil by nature. *smirk* Sounds like Crowley might not be as evil as he's supposed to be. Again a reference to him smiling like a snake.

11) Did you like Aziraphale as a magician? He sounded to be a complete failure. Well, at least till the gun came into play.

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

"In the Beginning" - "Eleven Years Ago"

1) So we have an angel and a demon who aren't quite friends but seem to hang around each other. The demon was once an angel. I'm guessing the two perhaps knew each other before Crowley started working for the dark side. Did you recognize that Crowley was Crawley right away? Did you like how he maintained some of his snake-like characteristics even in a more humanly form?
"he was wearing snakeskin shoes, or at least presumable he was wearing shoes, and he could do really weird thing with his tongue. And, whenever he forgot himself, he had a tendency to hiss."
Yes, it was quite clever

2) We have a misplaced Antichrist baby. Here's the run down of who went where:
The Youngs got the Antichrist and named him Adam
The Dowlings got the Young's baby and named him Warlock
The Dowlings baby ended up with the sisters. What do you think happened to him? Do you think he possibly stayed with the sisters or got adopted or do you suspect they disposed of him?
I think the sisters put him with a family that are also satanists

3) We have several questionable people whose part in all this I'm unsure of:
Anathema Device - 8 year old girl who will only live until the age of 11? Did I get that right?
Newton Pulsifer - 12 year old inventor? Likes electricity.
Scarlett - former arms dealer who might become journalist?
Sable - wrote a diet book which slowly starves people to death? He signed a copy as Dr. Raven Sable but has no degree and is not a doctor.
Mr. White - seems to be present when bad things happen--Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and Windscale.
Any suspicions on how these guys will come into play with this one? Are they for team Satan?

There are so many characters! I found this bit a bit confusing because of that. I hope it all comes together soon

4) Thoughts on Warlock's upbringing? How'd you like the revised nursery rhymes? Do you think this experience will end up testing the question that Aziraphale posed about genetics? "What will hapen to the child if it doesn't get a Satanic upbringing, though?"
Yes interesting isn't it. He is getting two extreme POVs for his upbringing. This questions how maleable humans are I guess

5) What role will Agnes Nutter's prophecies play? Will we ever find out what she predicted?
I guess so. She is in the book title after all ;)

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wednesday
7)So as Sara mentioned above I was wrong about Anathema Device. She does appear to live past her 11th birthday. She also runs into Crowley and Aziraphale and her significant part (at least so far) is that she inadvertently loses Agnes Nutter's book of Prophecies in the back of Crowley's Bentley and it comes into the possession of Aziraphale. I wonder if we'll see her again?
I think so. These two authors don't tend to introduce characters into their work without reason

8) Scarlett is now nicknamed Red and going by the name Carmine Zuigiber and is now a journalist like she wanted. Carmine, by the way, is vivid color of crimson so I love how these guys still keep their names in a manner of speaking. After finding out war keeps breaking out wherever she goes, could she be some sort of horseman of the apocalypse? Isn't one war? Could Sable with his starvation plan be famine? I may be way off with this one as we only have three colors. I guess Mr. White might be death if it holds true??? I've read a lot of apocalypse novels so that's where my mind is gearing to.
Hmm interesting. I didn't pick up on the colour bit

9) What did you think of the hellhound? The build up of the name being so important only to be named Dog. Oh, the horror. lol
Love it. As Sarah said, cute little poochy!

10) What did you think of Mary leasing the building and holding clinics for building team spirit among employees? I always knew those things were evil by nature. *smirk* Sounds like Crowley might not be as evil as he's supposed to be. Again a reference to him smiling like a snake.
I think Crowley has become more 'human' after so long living amongst us

11) Did you like Aziraphale as a magician? He sounded to be a complete failure. Well, at least till the gun came into play. :)
That was pretty funny. I thought the gun scene was going to go really badly. So glad it worked out

Kristie | 3280 comments Finished today and thought it was ok. I liked it well enough, but didn't love it. I don't seem to love Neil Gaiman (or Terry Pratchett) as much as others seem to. Definitely some funny parts, good characters, and interesting concepts.

message 23: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 503 comments I noticed this time that the majority of the book is actually from the perspectives of Anathema, Newt and the Them. I was a little surprised that Aziraphale & Crowley don't actually have the most page time because they're what I remember best from the first time I read it. They don't actually have the most important role in the book, but I love their commentary on humans and heaven and hell.

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Mar 25, 2014 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

sections entitled Thursday and Friday
13) I love Adam's friends. Did you notice when Adam thinks things, things happen? The Lost City of Atlantis returns with live people. Was the Witch army due to his Spanish Inquisitions wish? (Spanish Onions - lol) Remember Adam's statement that Nuclear Power plants should be done away with? The lemon drop was pretty telling. So could Adam be coming into his powers? Could that have been what he did to make Anathema happy?
yes I think this is absolutely happening. even how the "Them" follow him is an unknowing compulsion

16)So Anathema shows herself again. She gives Adam some occultist magazines and "changed his life." I wonder why the hell-hound didn't want to go into Anathema's house?
I wondered this too. Is he embaressed that he has become just a 'dog'?!!

17) What did you think of Sable's line of diet foods? Sounds like the authors are not too thrilled with fast food restaurants. Another known evil?
lol indeed

20) Could the spirals Anathema found be a series of sixes? For some reason when they started talking of spirals a series of sixes intertwined came to mind. Seems like sixes show up quite frequently so it just may be I've got them on my mind. Sounds like everyone is zooming in on Adam. Wonder why they decided all this would take place around his 11th birthday? I'd think he'd be older for armageddon.
yes it seems like a very young age doesn't it? Must be something signifiant to it

21) What did you think of Newton Pulsifier? He looks like Clark Kent???? Or is it Superman???
I really like him. One of my favourites

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Beth, I had that same awareness with it too. I didn't finish it last time I read it, but I was sure that the angel/demon combo were the main voicepoint of the book.

Not that I'm not enjoying it. I mean, it's obvious where Terry's influence comes in as separate now that I've read a bunch of Neil's work before this. But it's an okay book.

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

The end

I loved that Agnes Nutter sent a new set of prophecies! Oh, and Adam with the apples... nice touch

I quite enoyed this book, now having read so many Gaiman it was easy to pick Pratchett's passages. I think his humour was a good mix with the darkness of Gaiman. A good light read to follow American Gods that's for sure!