Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Vampire Academy discussion

Was the movie good

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Taylor I'm scared I really want to see this movie but scared that it sucked. Please tell me

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict Alot of people are saying its really good. That's its a little rough in some of the transitions, and that its a little rushed but other than that people seem to love it. I haven't seen it yet though so I'm just going off what people said in reviews.

Taylor ♥Courtney♥ Ƨнα∂σωκιƨƨɛ∂4ɛʌɛя ♊ wrote: "Alot of people are saying its really good. That's its a little rough in some of the transitions, and that its a little rushed but other than that people seem to love it. I haven't seen it yet thoug..."

Hope it's true I really want this series to be continued on the big screen

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict same. I don't want this movie to be thrown away like all the other failed book-to-movie adaptations

Taylor ♥Courtney♥ Ƨнα∂σωκιƨƨɛ∂4ɛʌɛя ♊ wrote: "same. I don't want this movie to be thrown away like all the other failed book-to-movie adaptations"

Yeah I mean look at beautiful creatures and city of bones

Kate The movie was enjoyable, slightly confusing for those who hadn't read the book, but for those who had it was unsatsifying for those who had. There was a lot lacking in the movie: the time line was majorly reworked, some characters and plot points were removed, and they combined a lot of the second book in with this first movie.
The movie was enjoyable for a lot of aspects but it didn't stand up to the greatness that the books put forth. It fell, making me both look forward to the next movie but also dread it.
I would recommend seeing it, but don't pay the theater price, just wait until it comes out on netflix or ondemand.

Books By Ces YES IT'S GOOD!!! GO SEE IT

Books By Ces WattpadBookReader wrote: "I'm scared I really want to see this movie but scared that it sucked. Please tell me"
Go see it! you will not be dissapointed

Taylor Cecilia (CesBookGeek) wrote: "WattpadBookReader wrote: "I'm scared I really want to see this movie but scared that it sucked. Please tell me"
Go see it! you will not be dissapointed"

That's good to know :-)

Mauve Soul i know everyone has their own opinion, and i've seen a lot of reviews where people loved the movie, but as someone who's a huge fan of this series and has read the books more than once the movie was dreadful. I went with a friend who knew nothing about the books/didn't even watch the trailers, and the whole time she kept asking me what was going on. Even at times i was confused. I think that the directors kept talking up who they were (worked on Mean Girls and The Heathers) instead of concentrating on the story. All the actors had potential, especially Zoey, but it was too rushed. As much as I want this movie to do well I unfortunately see it flopping like The Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures, and Percy Jackson. Its a shame that everyone keeps comparing VA to Twilight and the Hunger Games, because we all know they have nothing in common, but at the end of the day this movie still didn't give the books justice. Again, this is just my opinion and I wish I liked it like other people did.

Taylor Madison wrote: "i know everyone has their own opinion, and i've seen a lot of reviews where people loved the movie, but as someone who's a huge fan of this series and has read the books more than once the movie wa..."

Thank you for your opinion. Do you want the series to continue just with a different director

Mauve Soul I wouldn't mind that at all. I just hope people decide to read the books first and not judge this series on the movie.

Taylor Madison wrote: "I wouldn't mind that at all. I just hope people decide to read the books first and not judge this series on the movie."

I read the book but I get what your saying

Books By Ces WattpadBookReader wrote: "Madison wrote: "I wouldn't mind that at all. I just hope people decide to read the books first and not judge this series on the movie."

I read the book but I get what your saying"

Yes it felt ruched and sometimes I had trouble understanding what people were saying due to accents but... I you didn´t read the books you needed to pay attention... 100%... it's tru but the movie is not a bad adaptation.. I can totally see the sequels with more quality!!

Taylor Cecilia (CesBookGeek) wrote: "WattpadBookReader wrote: "Madison wrote: "I wouldn't mind that at all. I just hope people decide to read the books first and not judge this series on the movie."

I read the book but I get what you..."

Yeah like catching fire :-)

message 16: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Madison wrote: "i know everyone has their own opinion, and i've seen a lot of reviews where people loved the movie, but as someone who's a huge fan of this series and has read the books more than once the movie wa..."

I completely agree with your opinion; the movie was only an hour and a half, allowing for more time and development (movies today are typically from an hour and a half to two hours). The script was very disjunct and a lot of the characters lacked development. Many things were adapted for the movie.
They downplayed a lot of important points the book brings up or changing it so that it is less depressing to keep the uplifting, girl power feeling of the movie, which is not all that the book is about. The books are about duty, responsibility, growing up, making tough decisions, how to be a good friend, and knowing when to seek help and the movie didn't highlight most of those important attributes.
The movie was enjoyable, but comparing them to the fabulous series it is based off of, it is a disappointment.
I doubt there will be a sequel, honestly.

Khrys I watched it today and there were only 14 persons in the theater (I counted).

It wasn't bad but it definitely didn't live up to it's potential. Most people wouldn't agree with me but I liked Danila as Dimitri. It was authentic and refreshing to have an actual Russian playing a Russian role. My main problem was with the exposition. They explain everything and then subtly repeat it over and over.

Nikita I loved it. I wish it was longer than it was but overall it was really good. There were some changes that left me, neutral. Cast was good, I love the girl playing Rose, fell in love with the guy playing Dimitri and liked the girl playing Lissa. They didn't get everything from the book but still enough for me as a fan to enjoy. I will be seeing it again soon.

I really hope they decide to turn all the books into movies.

message 19: by Diana (last edited Feb 09, 2014 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diana Rosengard I took two people who never even heard of the series with me and they both followed the plot and caught all the major points fine. I was impressed with it. It was funny, it was interesting, and it reminded me of the sort of self-referential, pop culture humor in "Warm Bodies." I also liked Danila as Dimitri and thought the casting over all was strong. The soundtrack is really good, too.

My one complaint: The exposition was a little heavy, particularly at the beginning, but I felt they got over that once the girls got back to St. Vlad's. I'm going to see it again, and I'm not even a huge fan of the book series. I liked it better than BC and TMI and I own both those series.

Definitely worth seeing!

Taylor Ya!!!

Michael Blea It was a good reflection of the first book with a little left out. The only thing that pissed me off was the fact that all the moroi practiced magic when everyone knows that they dont start practicing magic until Tasha Ozera comes into the picture.

Taylor Michael wrote: "It was a good reflection of the first book with a little left out. The only thing that pissed me off was the fact that all the moroi practiced magic when everyone knows that they dont start practic..."

They probably just want to show people they could do that but I understand what your saying

message 23: by Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict (last edited Feb 09, 2014 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict Michael wrote: "It was a good reflection of the first book with a little left out. The only thing that pissed me off was the fact that all the moroi practiced magic when everyone knows that they dont start practic..."

The moroi did use their magic, before Tasha showed up, just not defensively. But I haven't seen the movie yet (live in Australia) so I wouldn't know if they used it defensively in the movie. But it was just Christian using defensive magic, well, he's Christian and he doesn't care about the rules.

I think it's interesting how they are adding more moroi magic in the movie though. In the book Rose only really explains about magic rather than experience it. We only truly get to see Spirit magic and that one time Christian sets Ralf on fire. I like how the movie seems to show how the moroi use their magic in daily life

Lauren Grech Soooooo good! I was so so so so happy with the film adaption! Do not watch any of the YouTube reviews of this movie because THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND APPARENTLY! And all they do is compare it to Twilight, and that is just redic! But even if both series are about vampires they are NOT the same story!
But anyways, it was the best adaption I have seen yet! So go see it!

+ I LOVE the Twilight series (not the movies) so they need to quit referring to it as a bad thing! Mkkaayyy.

Crystal Simpson It wasnt great. Of course its hard to stuff a 500 page book into a less than two hour movie so there is that. The plot was rushed, you dont feel a real connection between the characters. Not sure if that is crappy acting or if the movie needed to move along. Part of a side plot was left out. Things moved so quickly that if I didnt read the book I might not have understood what the characters were doing, thinking, or feeling through out. Sadly it was a fail for me.

message 26: by Shellene (last edited Feb 10, 2014 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shellene It wasn't great!! It just didn't feel right like reading the book not sure if it's because they are trying to maybe target the younger crowd or just horrible directing. They did get the right actress for Rose!!! Was not sold on Dimitri's actor not hot at all. The whole biting thing was a bit dramatic every time. I hate to say this but at times I just wanted to close my eyes and sleep :( and I loved the books. I do hope they make another movie for the next book but I hope it's a different director. Good thing though was it was by the book so 2 thumbs up for that.

Cindy I liked it, it had the some of the main points of the book, but umm it could have been better but fingers crossed for a sequel.

andie Resendes It was okay for me!!! I think the books are why better.
I took 2 people that didn't read the books and they liked it.

Ranya Alboslani Its really good.

message 30: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. I liked the movie way more than I thought I would. Of course, it wasn't as good as the book. But honestly, only a few book-to-movie adaptations are as good as the books.
I think most of the cast was spot on. Zoey Deutch brought Rose to life. I had my doubts about her, but she nailed Rose's sarcastic personality. Lucy Fry wasn't bad either as Lisa. I also liked Dominic Sherwood as Christian Ozera, although, he reminded me a lot of Robert Pattinson for some reason. I kept thinking, Edward, what are you doing in Vampire Academy?
The only casting that I had a problem with was Danila Kozlovsky as Dimitri. He didn't do it for me (my ideal pick for the role was Jared Padalecki, but oh well, you can't have everything). I thought that Danila looked too old for the role, and I didn't think he was that hot.
I hope they turn Frostbite into a movie because the book itself was better than VA.

message 31: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. Lauren wrote: "Soooooo good! I was so so so so happy with the film adaption! Do not watch any of the YouTube reviews of this movie because THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND APPARENTLY! And all they do is compare it to Twili..."

Man, I agree about the Youtube reviews. Those people are so clueless. There was one that said Vampire Academy was a Disney movie just because Zoey Deutch used to be in a Disney show or something. WTF?

message 32: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. Michael wrote: "It was a good reflection of the first book with a little left out. The only thing that pissed me off was the fact that all the moroi practiced magic when everyone knows that they dont start practic..."

They practiced magic, they didn't use it defensively. That's what changed when Tasha came into the picture.

César Gomes I'm fan of VA almost four years . In Brazil the movie not yet was released , but by the review and comments of the people who already watched the movie everyone here not to bother with the changes.. I even considered that the actors chosen for the cast fell perfectly to the characters . The movie is perfect. To movie an adaptation , have to change. Even the novels of Nicholas Sparks when becomes films have changes . Remember to " A Walk To Remember " that does not have much to do with the book. Remember that even for TV series based on books undergoes changes , " True Blood," "Game of Thrones , " The Vampire Diaries " , " The Secret Circle " and " The Nine Lives of Chloe King " had changes. Put something in their heads , everything, everything the same , when it is adapted from books to film has changes .

message 34: by Uzma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uzma Parveen Go Watch the movie guys.. It is awesome and you will regret not watching it and knowing if everyone had watched it, we could have had Frostibte as a movie too..

Taylor Uzma wrote: "Go Watch the movie guys.. It is awesome and you will regret not watching it and knowing if everyone had watched it, we could have had Frostibte as a movie too.."

Which would be awesome

Victoria Schultz Guys seriously the movie was AWESOME. It was so sassy and badass like there was never a slow moment! I wasn't sure about the actors at first, but they really did a great job. Go see it and support this wonderful series and the movie we've waited so long for! We need Frostbite!!

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer This movie was awesome sauce. It's one of those very rare movies that gets better every time you see it.

message 38: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. WattpadBookReader wrote: "Uzma wrote: "Go Watch the movie guys.. It is awesome and you will regret not watching it and knowing if everyone had watched it, we could have had Frostibte as a movie too.."

Which would be awesome"

I so want to watch the Frostbite movie. That was my favorite book in the series.

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer We will get it.

message 40: by E.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.M. Reders If your worried about seeing it, or are taking friends that haven't read the book, then watch this music video. It s should have been used as the trailer.

http://youtu.be/S9yX02fkMlA

And as for the low takings opening weekend, if they had stuck to world wide release like they originally planned, there never would have been a problem. I'm from the UK and have to wait until the end of April to see this, its gonna kill me lol

message 41: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I went to the movie on Friday. I thought it was good, It is a tad bit corny due to how they have to fit it to the book. I liked it but the book wins.

message 42: by E.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.M. Reders No movie can ever beat a book, but VA seems to be the closest film to a book there has been yet

Chandana Haven't seen the movie yet, but the trailer made it look like it was a teenage vampire and high school drama (hence the Twilight comparison) rather than epic book I know.

Taylor Chandana wrote: "Haven't seen the movie yet, but the trailer made it look like it was a teenage vampire and high school drama (hence the Twilight comparison) rather than epic book I know."

Never know though you may like it a lot of people are saying it a good book to movie adaptation

Chandana WattpadBookReader wrote: "Chandana wrote: "Haven't seen the movie yet, but the trailer made it look like it was a teenage vampire and high school drama (hence the Twilight comparison) rather than epic book I know."

Never k..."

Have you seen it? Does it stick to the book, or does it emphasize the high school thing?

Taylor Chandana wrote: "WattpadBookReader wrote: "Chandana wrote: "Haven't seen the movie yet, but the trailer made it look like it was a teenage vampire and high school drama (hence the Twilight comparison) rather than e..."

I have to even it yet but I am soon I'll let you know when I do

message 47: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim It sticks to the book. There is a lot of academy stuff but it is true to the story line.

message 48: by Taylor (last edited Feb 11, 2014 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Taylor Kim wrote: "It sticks to the book. There is a lot of academy stuff but it is true to the story line."

That's good to hear

Michael Blea Kim wrote: "It sticks to the book. There is a lot of academy stuff but it is true to the story line."

The major points like about lisa and Christian, along with victor dashkov yes. But I do not recall "why were you in the hospital? Pregnant? Herpes? I bet your baby has herpes." Like that was a little immature and don't remember Mia being like that. A bitch? Maybe. But not that childish.

message 50: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. Chandana wrote: "WattpadBookReader wrote: "Chandana wrote: "Haven't seen the movie yet, but the trailer made it look like it was a teenage vampire and high school drama (hence the Twilight comparison) rather than e..."

The first book emphasized a lot on high school drama, the epicness came in later books. So yeah, it follows the book pretty closely.

« previous 1