Young Writers discussion

Writing Contests > Writing Contest 2/8-2/22

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor This contest is opened up to any form of writing, so long as it adequately reacts to the prompt in a thought-provoking manner. If your entries are longer than 500 words (a short story, perhaps), please post them on your Goodreads writing page and put a link here.

To clarify, you may submit writing up through the 22nd, just like any sort of deadline should work. I will beginning reading on the morning of the 23rd, at about 10 AM EST, and I'll have a decision made later in the day.

Your prompt:

Find 'x'.

message 2: by Kendra (last edited Feb 08, 2014 05:42AM) (new)

Kendra (madamejade) | 253 comments Mission X
You, agent __________, have been lucky enough to take the least morally scarring mission the Unknown have ever assigned. Your job is to kidnap an orphaned child by the name of Fredrick Black.
Sedatives highly recommended.
Do not let him be awake as he enters the fortress. Note that target has had experience faking sleep before.
While you're out, find a different alphabet for us to use. We're almost out of Latin characters and we've already used Greek.
And get me a coffee.

Dutifully yours You're dutifully mine,

SIN-R

e l -illcallubymine (ellaistired) The task wasn't easy. Being pulled into the trap like a taut piece of string, and risk escaping? It is a one-way street to death. If I don't do it, though, the world will be in peril. The elevator clanged before reaching it's shuttering stop. Walking and pressing the button, I waited, my life flashing before my eyes. Suddenly I didn't feel too well. I slid down onto the dirt-coated floor and groaned in pain. I pushed myself back up, knowing I had to stay strong. I leaned against the gleaming elevator doors for support of my body. Thoughts of happiness were forced into my mind. I closed my eyes peacefully, not letting the setting of the future get in my way. The elevator seemed as if it were going up forever. Then, it happened. A finger poked my right shoulder, the nails partially digging into my skin, but not making a cut. My eyes flew open, followed by a gasp. I jerked my head one way before gliding it in the opposite direction. I closed my eyes again,believing hallucinations were getting to me. It happened once more. A tap slightly pinched my other shoulder. I bounced off the elevator's doors inspecting the whole small area closely, each step of my own shoes grasping more suspicion from me. I looked around one more time. Enforce leaning on the wall, my heart pounding and my eyes wide. The elevator jerked to a stop like a humming bird concluding it's trip to a flower. Lights flickered softly before slowly turning the place into pitch black. I panicked, but managed to counsel myself and take fast breathes, trying to soothe my mind from harmful thoughts. It was minutes later when a hand grabbed my arm and turned me around. The nails clasped against me, leaving a sharp pain. The hand slithered away silently from my arm, to have both of my arms later pinned to the wall. "We'll find a way. Later." A voice choked in a whisper. My arms were forcefully let go of me, leaving me falling onto the ground. The sharp nails fell away from me. Later, the lights flashed back on in it's original dim light. Nobody was in there, yet the door never opened to let someone in or out. The elevator wrenched to a stop and the doors opened slowly, pausing every second or so. I walked out my legs shaking with fear. I was scared. That was no doubt. The strange thing was when Inwalked out, the whole room was empty. Expecting something else, I decided nothing was needed to be done. I took the stairs this time, knowing it would be easier for my overtime mind. I got into my glimmering blue Porsche, double checking to see if anyone was possibly following me. Clear, but I whirled my head around once more before I shut and locked the door. Everything was locked,even the windows. I drove quickly back home.

It was when I was on the highway when my eyes were covered by a hand.

With the sharp nails.

message 4: by Kendra (last edited Feb 08, 2014 10:07AM) (new)

Kendra (madamejade) | 253 comments Where is the X? I have edited this comment now.

e l -illcallubymine (ellaistired) X is what the task was. The thing is, it's a mystery what X is.

message 6: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (madamejade) | 253 comments Okay, maybe that should be somewhere in there.

e l -illcallubymine (ellaistired) Oh I'm sorry! Here, I'll change the beginning:

The task wasn't easy. X was a problem that everyone was in fear of, yet nobody knew who or what it was.

e l -illcallubymine (ellaistired) And so on

message 9: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (madamejade) | 253 comments You can edit it, you know. Look at message four.

message 10: by Tempest (last edited Feb 08, 2014 10:23PM) (new)

Tempest S.J. | 120 comments X. The twenty-fourth letter. As far as the world is concerned, X is my name. The jailers were bored enough with everyone following the rules that they started locking up people for things like yelling in a crowded room and numbering the accused like the cells. The government was too busy to care. And there are no judges. They just retired. My friends know I'm not a letter, but they don't know my name. I don't know my name. Like in algebra, you have to find the hidden value. To find X.

message 11: by Halah (last edited Feb 09, 2014 01:51PM) (new)

Halah Butt (valhalah) | 925 comments Here's to the arithmetics!
Never used in life's reality.

To nose pinching preceptors,
May God let pass their oh so passive probity.

Lest we forget our fellow men in suffering,
Past and present, they have our pity.

Here's to the voices of free will,
Here's to harmless mutiny.

Find x?
I circle it.

Here's to my entity.

message 12: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I actually really liked that.

message 14: by Halah (last edited Feb 12, 2014 12:14PM) (new)

Halah Butt (valhalah) | 925 comments Heh, thanks you two ^.^

message 15: by Vanilla (new)

Vanilla Find X.

Math is so stupid.

They tell you to find your x?

I bet they never bothered to even try and find their ex themselves.

They ask y?

Why don't you ask someone else why first?

Why make us do the work?

Are we your slaves?

Excuse me?

Last time I checked, I did not get hired by anyone to do anything about no nothing.

Oh.

Was that incorrect grammar?

English is so stupid.

message 16: by Vanilla (new)

Vanilla And no, english is NOT stupid.

Anastacia *gaining love* Asbury Ethan's blonde hair gently blew in the wind as he lowered the rope for Xiu-Mei. He watched as she was being lowered, her beautiful black hair, which had red and yellow streaks in it, was hanging for she was upside-down, her long legs that were covered by her black ninja suit that clung tightly and nicely to her sin were neatly set upon the rope. When Ethan stopped lowering the rope about five feet from the ground, Xiu-Mei stretched her legs out and set her feet on the ground.
"Okay Ethan, tie up the rope and come on down," she said, "It's clear!"
Ethan blushed softly as her brown eyes met his blue but then tied up the rope. He slid down, but landed on his butt when he tried to jump off.
"Stop being stupid. Ms. X might be down stairs," she hissed.
"Sorry," Ethan whispered. His black ninja suit was completely wrinkled and pulled wrong.
Xiu-Mei rolled her eyes. "Search for anything that could help with her identity," she said as she started searching in some files.
"Yes Ma'am!" Ethan said. He too started searching around the room.
"But don't touch anything!" Xiu-Mei said sternly.
Ethan nodded. He began looking at artifacts and other random things in the room. Suddenly his eyes fell upon a picture that someone had attempted to hide, but failed.
In the picture was a young girl and an older woman, most likely a mother. The older woman had long black hair tied high in a bun and she was dressed in a red Asian dress. The young girl's black hair was in two ponytails and she was dressed in a black dress. The two seemed to be standing in front of a Tori gate.
Ethan frowned slightly. The younger girl seemed to remind him of Xiu-Mei for some reason, the way her hair was up, the way her eyes sparkled, only a little brighter like any child's would, and the way her arms folded around her plushie panda, like Xiu-Mei did to her plushie panda Ping. Then it hit him.
"Xiu-Mei...you might want to come check this picture out," he said.
Xiu-Mei's eyes widened in fear, but then narrowed in anger. "So you've found out my secret," she said.
Ethan watched as she turned to look at him. "Um, no, I really suck at this whole knowing thing," he said, "No matter what Mr. Venice says..."
Xiu-Mei smirked. "If I must spell it out for you, I am Ms. X," she said wickedly. She pulled out her tessen fan. "And you Ethan, Mr. Venice's best agent, are dead."

message 18: by Tempest (new)

Tempest S.J. | 120 comments Waaah?

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (nerdatlas) | 279 comments Damn! Gotta love backstabbing.

message 20: by Tempest (new)

Tempest S.J. | 120 comments Gotta read it again.

message 21: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 213 comments That was brilliant. So weird, I had to read it twice, but it was absolutely brilliant!

message 22: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Sometimes it was like a piece of her was missing. There was always those charming eyes and blushing cheeks, and her enchanting grin with the loose pieces of blonde hair waving about her, but there were moments where you said something and she faltered. She was standing in a red dress that fanned out around her ankles, near a group of boys, shoulder cuddled into one of them and a finger running down the chin of the other. The moonlight glittered on the sequins of her dress while she laughed lightly. It drew the same response from the rest of the group.

I approached her soon enough. I had been watching from the distance for a while--a second, a minute, an hour, it was all the same to me--and when I came over and she saw me, that flirtatious grin she had wavered. The playfulness in her face vanished. "Sorry boys," she said, "I need to-- to go check on something."

She thought she couldn't be pursued, but when my hand grasped onto her wrist she knew it was over. But she tried so hard, hitting and yanking. "It's no use," I said, but she continued to scratch at my arm.

"I don't want to talk to you right n--"

It wasn't the same before. She bit my lip as I kissed her.

She fell into tears as I let her go. "I hate you," she said.

I didn't need to tell her I already knew that. Her face was clouded already. The spark she had had faded; her hair was messy as it sprawled around her ratty dress. Nothing sparkled, nothing shone. If I hadn't known her then, I might have pitied her.

"You said you would help me," she said in a voice so quiet I could barely hear her. "Remember? In that math class in tenth grade, you said you would help me find x, and you would help me find anything else."

"You rejected my help," I said without remorse.

"God, I hate you." She threw her hands over her face as she cried.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (nerdatlas) | 279 comments woah. i don't who to pity there. well done emily.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments I'm actually doing this one!
It just takes so long to type it up by phone. :/

message 25: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 331 comments Oooh, I think I'll try this on out as well.

message 26: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 140 comments I wrote a story, so here it is!

https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

message 27: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (madamejade) | 253 comments Who won?

Anastacia *gaining love* Asbury yeah, who won?

message 29: by Tempest (new)

Tempest S.J. | 120 comments Hello?

message 30: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Sorry guys, I was sick.

Anthony is the winner.

message 31: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (madamejade) | 253 comments Was that story about finding X?

message 32: by Halah (last edited Feb 27, 2014 12:33PM) (new)

Halah Butt (valhalah) | 925 comments Well of course, if it wasn't he probably wouldn't have won..

Congrats btw, to Anthony~

message 34: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (madamejade) | 253 comments No, I actually read it. I don't think he even used the letter X.

message 35: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 140 comments Thanks, Taylor! Glad you liked my story.

@Halli Thanks! I really liked your poem. It was really unique.

@Subservient The trees were "X." When she leaves her home town at the end, the imagery on the water is symbolic for (eventually) finding love again.

message 36: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Actually, Anthony was really the only one who thought of the prompt in an abstract way, which was sorta the point (though it is my fault for not stating that). I wanted you guys to tell me what X was, rather than referencing algebra or something.

Plus, there were a lot of other reasons for picking it. That was just the biggest one.

message 37: by Halah (new)

Halah Butt (valhalah) | 925 comments No, I was sure you meant it in a symbolic way, I took it literally on purpose because I couldn't think

And thanks Anthony, nothing compared to your story though ;o

message 38: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 140 comments @Taylor

Either way, I'm happy that you liked it. Truthfully I was experimenting with the POV because I am writing a novel in first-person where the main character is a girl. It was great practice, ever though my story will have a completely different voice.

@Halli

That's sweet of you. I just write a lot, though. I'm sure you can make something just as good with the right planning. And besides, my poetry is pretty lackluster at times, so I think you might have me there. :)

message 39: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 140 comments So... is someone going to come up with a new contest, or are we going to just participate in the one Subservient made?

message 40: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Usually the winner gets to do the next contest, so it's yours if you want it, Anthony.

message 41: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 140 comments Well, I guess I will make a new contest then! It will be up in a few minutes. :)