Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Films & TV Shows > Open Discussion on the Odd Thomas Film (* Warning: Contains Spoilers*)

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5990 comments Mod
As noted in the discussion topic title, this is an open discussion thread for discussing The Odd Thomas Film.
Posts may contain spoilers.
If you have not yet watched the film and/or read the book, there is the older thread which has information about the film without spoilers. Thank You :-)

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I am still re-reading the novel to check for some of the details from the movie. What has amazed me so far is the little details that were incorporated into the movie. Fungus Bob going into the grill and staring at a salt shaker for example. I didn't think he looked as much like a fungus as I had pictured but I guess that was hard to pull off with the make-up, etc.

message 3: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 16 comments Karen, I just messaged you as you asked, but I'm going to post in here too.

My only disappointment with the movie is Elvis. I really don't understand why they didn't run with that and instead used a cardboard standee. The Elvis ghost character added so much charm to the story. Thinking about it more, I realize maybe there were certain permissions needed that they couldn't get, which really sucks, or something else along those lines. Maybe the family wanted too much money to use his likeness in the movie. Then again, as public of a figure as he was (is?), it doesn't seem like there would've been a whole lot of red tape to do it. I don't know, I think I'm talking myself into circles here so I'll stop now.

One of the things that I loved was the Bodachs, I was so impressed with how they made them look. Not at all what I had pictured in my mind, and if I remember correctly, didn't the book describe the heads as being kind of jackal like? Or maybe that was my own imagination. Either way, I really loved what they did with them. Totally upped the creepy factor.

I also thought it was sweet that Stormy's ghost turned into butterflies at the end. :) I can't remember if that was described as being so in the book, but I thought it was sweet.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (lkaumans) | 12 comments I too missed the ghost of Elvis from the book. That was such a great addition. However, I'm not sure it would have worked in the movie. An Elvis impersonator could have come across as just that, an Elvis impersonator. Having said that though, I saw the play, Million Dollar Quartet, and the actor who played Elvis in that probably could have pulled it off. He was Elvis in his prime.

As to the cardboard cutout, there was mention of that in the book as well.

Overall, I really liked the movie especially when you consider how other Koontz books have translated onto film. It's unfortunate the film was held up for so long over the legal issues. I think it might have done very well. I liked how the humor of the book showed in the movie along with every other emotion. I thought the actor was dead on as Odd Thomas. Loved him.

As for the bodachs, I pictured them more inky and shadowy looking, kind of like the black shadows that came to life and took the bad guys down to Hell in Ghost. That's what came to my mind from the descriptions in the book. I guess the director couldn't repeat that look though. You saw more of the facial features in the film which did lend to the creepiness factor.

I definitely want to see the movie again and hope it opens on the big screen in my area. I kind of doubt it though. I'll have to keep a watch out for it. It was nice to see a great Koontz book made into a good movie. :)

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 16 comments It's been so long since I read the first Odd book, there are probably a ton of things I forgot about. Like the cardboard cutout that you mentioned, Lori.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (lkaumans) | 12 comments I only remembered it because I recently re-read the series. The Odd Thomas series are some of the favorite Koontz books. I really can't wait for Saint Odd to come out. I guess I'm going to have to, as my good friend would say. :)

message 7: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments I just watched the trailer. Odd is pretty much how I imagined him. The bodachs...not so much.

message 8: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Palmer Is this movie already out?

message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice | 2 comments I will avoid the movie--I am sure it will be good but I don't want to see the casting peoples vision of Odd and other characters in the books. I have my own image of Odd and friends and I am just not ready yet to let go of that. I am glad I have copies of the books already because I know they will do that other thing I don't like and plaster the actors image all over the re-release of the books.

message 10: by Syd (new)

Syd Perry (sydperry) | 37 comments I use a library ordering website called Ingram's ipage. They have the Odd Thomas DVD & Blu-Ray for pre-order with a release date of March 25, 2014. I hope this will actually happen.

message 11: by Misty (new)

Misty M | 30 comments That sound like around the date it is supposed to come out on Redbox according to their app so it's definitely promising.

message 12: by David (last edited Feb 25, 2014 06:03PM) (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) Stacy wrote: "Karen, I just messaged you as you asked, but I'm going to post in here too.

My only disappointment with the movie is Elvis. I really don't understand why they didn't run with that and instead used..."

If they skipped over the Elvis situation due to legal restraints, then there could have been better options than the naff cardboard cut-out.

They could even have used an Elvis impersonator, and perhaps Odd could have commented that he 'wasn't convinced this guy is the real Elvis'.

I'd have preferred something like that, as Elvis was an integral part of the Odd story.

All in all, though, it was a fun ride. And actually fairly decent for a DK adaptation.

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments I have just finished watching the movie and for the most part it stayed to the book. I think I missed Ozzy most but I understand why some of the main characters and events were left out. However, they could have made it a series instead :) anyway, I rather enjoyed it.

message 14: by Karl (new)

Karl | 12 comments Tracy wrote: "I have just finished watching the movie and for the most part it stayed to the book. I think I missed Ozzy most but I understand why some of the main characters and events were left out. However, t..."

Tracy, you're absolutely right. I wonder if any other Odd stories will be adapted to screen...

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments I don't know Karl but it would be nice.

message 16: by Suey (new)

Suey (suey_docos) | 48 comments Janice wrote: "I will avoid the movie--I am sure it will be good but I don't want to see the casting peoples vision of Odd and other characters in the books. I have my own image of Odd and friends and I am just n..."

Good idea, Janice! I, unfortunately did see the movie - it doesn't do the book justice at all (IMO!). It moved too fast to get the real 'feel' that the book gives you. The Stormy character was way too stilted and 'eye-candy' - with no depth. It was a good teen-age flick - well, except MY two teenagers who also read the books before seeing the movie were as disappointed in the movie as I was. It's a good one to just NOT SEE, so you can keep your own images of the characters in your head. I'm hoping as time goes by, I can reread the books without the terrible movie images in my brain! I was SO hoping for a good Koontz film! NOT this time...

message 17: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Finally saw the movie last night. Overall I really enjoyed it. Would have liked to see Elvis as more than a cardboard standee and more of Ozzie and his cat. I liked that Stormy rode a scooter even though she didn't in the book (I ride a badass scooter myself so I think scooters are just fantastic). Stormy was hot and steamy.

The ending scene of the movie seemed to leave it open for further adventures of Odd Thomas... like a lead in to Forever Odd. Glad I watched it. Cried at the ending.

message 18: by Misty (new)

Misty M | 30 comments Don't worry Dustin, even after knowing what to expect at the end of the movie, I shed a few tears myself. The DVD and bluray are also now available at most major retail stores. I found it at my Walmart but the bluray was sold out.

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 453 comments I cried at the ending too.

message 20: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I called Barnes & Noble and they only got one copy in so I ran and picked it up last night :-)

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 453 comments I got mine at Barnes and Nobles too and they only had a couple.

message 22: by Diane Lynch (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 470 comments Rented On Demand through Direct TV. Good movie. Followed the book. Nothing is as good as a persons mental images when they first read a book. This movie did a good job bringing those images to the screen. Well done.

message 23: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I really liked Stormy. Yeah, that one bedroom scene when it was her bedtime, was a bit over the top :-)

Odd is really good at hot-wiring and borrowing vehicles.

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "As noted in the discussion topic title, this is an open discussion thread for discussing The Odd Thomas Film.
Posts may contain spoilers.
If you have not yet watched the film and/or read the book,..."

Wow, that was nice to let us know, Dusty...thanks.

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments Stacy wrote: "Karen, I just messaged you as you asked, but I'm going to post in here too.

My only disappointment with the movie is Elvis. I really don't understand why they didn't run with that and instead used..."

I missed Elvis as well.

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments I really enjoyed the movie-watched it with adult son and 13 year old granddaughter and ALL of us enjoyed it. My son and I are Koontz and Odd fans, for that matter and although all the details and some of the characters were missing it was ok. No movie is exactly like the book. The actors who played Odd and Stormy were perfect! The bodachs, for me were better than I had imagined when reading the book...more personal and not as grossly irritating. Like I said before, I did miss Elvis but it was ok. And so nice to sit with all ages to watch a movie that NO ONE is embarrassed by! Thanks Mr. Koontz for a good film. Hopefully the others in the series will be movies as well and not take too long. I would love to see adaptation of Odd Interlude and Deeply Odd, especially.

message 27: by Diane Lynch (last edited Apr 01, 2014 10:48AM) (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 470 comments I was also disappointed about Elvis not actually hanging around like in the book. I'm sure their were some kind of licensing issues since their was only 1 card board cut out. I assume who ever represents Elvis to this day would not give the OK otherwise there is no reason for Elvis the ghost not to be in it. Perhaps offensive to Elvis fans. All kinds of possible reasons.

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 453 comments I think Elvis's family would not have allowed some Elvis impersonator in a film.....although they are usually in most tv shows that take place in Vegas......you can't have an impersonator playing what is really supposed to be Elvis.....I enjoyed the movie and hope they do more

message 29: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Thornton (shawntsxs) | 6 comments Loved the movie, I hope they make more. It it would be great if they developed it for TV.

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 1 comments I just watched the movie and thought it was true to the book. The actress playing Stormy was pretty much exactly as I pictured her. The Odd character was OK as well - for some reason I never got a "picture" in my head of him, even through all my reading.

Yes, I too missed Elvis, but his estate is so tight on what they allow (without immense financial gain, I am sure!) that I wasn't surprised, disappointed yes, but not surprised, not to see him. Ah well. Overall, I was happy with the movie.

message 31: by Joh (new)

Joh (jakjoh) | 2 comments I waited and waited for Odd Thomas to be re-released in theaters in Jakarta and finally got to see it on the big screen on Sunday. I think the best thing about the movie was that people who hadn't read the books really enjoyed the movie. Sure it wasn't perfect and not exactly big budget, but it was fun and entertaining and had enough of the book to make me happy. So glad I held out for the big screen. This is easily the best book to movie for Dean Koontz.