Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Spot a publishing scam.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tura (new)

Tura | 53 comments http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2014/0...

I came across this and while the info is not new, it does condense it into one nice & readable package.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 361 comments The Science-Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America have a scam watch arm, called Writer Beware:
http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/f...

Essential for new writers -- you can email the manager with the name of any agent, editor or publisher you're worried about.

message 3: by Tura (new)

Tura | 53 comments I think Writer Beware is mentioned in the article? As are some other similar sites. I think it is important to keep your eyes open though, just because it is not (yet?) exposed as a scam, it may still be a scam. There are also some vanity publishers that skate close to the edge, if you want to order 200 copies of your book, printed, and sell them yourself, why not: if the price is not bad it would maybe be unfair to stamp them as scams. Sometimes their blurbs may seem like they are legit publishing, sort of, and not just a printer, so buyer beware.

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments You want a BIG publishing scam? PublishAmerica!

Talk about parasites at the bottom of a barrel..

message 5: by Tura (new)

Tura | 53 comments Yep, PublishAmerica is one of the main examples used in the article.

message 6: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Bartling (kurtb) | 21 comments I found Predators and Editors to be good, unless you tell me otherwise.

http://pred-ed.com

message 7: by Penny (new)

Penny Reilly (wwwgoodreadscompennyreilly) | 16 comments ...hmmm this is interesting as I am in the process of publishing the fourth book in a series with a particular company ...not happy at all about the broken promises and failure to follow through with certain issues ...after this last book is out I will rethink ...as a previously self-published author it will possibly be a return to this ...then I think I will take my challenges to the parent company ...I'm not naming names (as yet) until the contract is done. Thank you for the discussion and the very interesting responses.

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 361 comments If you want to hear a fun stunt we did with Publish America, google on ATLANTA NIGHTS, or look at the book's entry here on Goodreads.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments Lol@ Brenda. I remember you telling someone you wrote one of the chapters in that book. I was once under contract with them and always asked about Atlanta Nights and they keep insisting to me that they didn't wish to publish it and that it doesn't exist lol.

message 10: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 248 comments Brenda wrote: "If you want to hear a fun stunt we did with Publish America, google on ATLANTA NIGHTS, or look at the book's entry here on Goodreads."

I still can't believe nobody at PA caught the hint in the author's name at the very least. I don't honestly lol very much, but I was picking myself up off the floor when I put that together.

message 11: by Tura (new)

Tura | 53 comments Heh, you could have linked it here, like.... Atlanta Nights There are 2 with the same name, is this it?

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments I know right? When I heard about Atlanta Nights I felt I now had found a way to get out of contract with them. Though it didn't work I figured at the very least, if these idiots can't spot this book then I'm sure I can sneak away from their grasp.

message 13: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 182 comments Brenda wrote: "If you want to hear a fun stunt we did with Publish America, google on ATLANTA NIGHTS, or look at the book's entry here on Goodreads."

I just read the Wikipedia entry. That is hilarious.