Review Group discussion

General discussion > Online posts that could be story ideas

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1703 comments Mod
Have you ever made a post in a forum, re-read it, and thought, "Hmm. there could be something in that."

I was posting in another forum regarding the ability of dogs to eat huge amounts of food at a single sitting. It was suggested that my dogs might have small black holes in their gullets. I posted the following:

"I pried my dog's mouth open and looked down there. There was a horrible empty swooshing sound and my hair began to get sucked forward. I felt myself descending into the terrible maw. Fortunately, the dog burped and I was expelled back into the living room, along with a small spare planet."

Post your accidental ideas, inspired by random posts, here!

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) What an excellent idea! It happens to me more often than I care to think about. My 'ideas' file is bulging with stuff I'll never have the time to write.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I once overheard a sales assistant say, "He hasn't the sense of a shovel." That one sentence became the short story Simile and Metaphor.

I also find I incorporate snippets of overheard conversations into stories I'm writing at the time, or that I recall much later when it's suddenly appropriate for the context.

message 4: by K.A. (new)

Window-peeping from the moon?

I love the 'shovel' statement. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use it soon in real life...

message 5: by K.A. (new)

I just used "He hasn't the sense of a shovel" in conversation. I knew I'd find a use for it soon. The person to whom I was speaking agreed, and stated, "He's dumber than a box of hair."

message 6: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) One easy leap across the pond ^_^
I always knew I'd have an effect on American use of language one day.

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Those were the days... I loved the old thrupenny bits, and there's a certain ring to 'tanner', 'shilling', 'florin', 'half crown', 'crown' and 'guinea'. Mind, the maths involved with 12 pennies to the shilling and twenty shillings to the pound caused problems for more than a few school children.