Struggling Writers discussion

Discussions > What Do Writers Want?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments What a writer wants depends upon the writer and her / his motivation.

Some may want a spotlight and a chance to prove their worth, while others find such less important.

I don't get involved in writing contests mainly because their over by the time I hear of them, or it's a short story thing and I r4eally can't right stories shorter than forty thousand odd words.

I don't write for money. I write to get characters (like the short alien holding the spear) to shut up, and so my youngest will one day be able to know I once had a sense of humor.

message 2: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Not a problem, and apologies for the typos, hard to type with an infant trying to help.

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 75 comments I could provide a long list of answers, form egotistical statements of I am a writer to the cash transfer in my bank account. I want the ability to put down in words some of the things that buzz endlessly around my head.
I want to see others respond to my imagination, whether that is a thrill, an emotional scene, lust, fear and hopefully an occasional joke.
I have not done any contests yet mainly because I have not researched them properly. In other words what do I get out of it?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Philip wrote: "I could provide a long list of answers, form egotistical statements of I am a writer to the cash transfer in my bank account. I want the ability to put down in words some of the things that buzz e..."

With most of them you have to pay to enter and all you get for your trouble is a long wait! I have entered a couple of writing competitions but I am busy writing, editing, and publicising my work and finding time to write a piece especially for a competition is hard!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) What a writer wants, or at least what I want as a writer, is to give readers a little bot of insight with what goes on in my mind. When I write, I'm revealing a part of myself in the back of my mind that nobody else has ever seen, and I want people to be entertained and intrigued by my stories and my imagination and the things that I can come up with.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Jessica wrote: "What a writer wants, or at least what I want as a writer, is to give readers a little bot of insight with what goes on in my mind. When I write, I'm revealing a part of myself in the back of my min..."

LOL. I wonder what people think is on my mind when they read my stories....especially when they get to the kinky bits!

Cally's Secret didn't have any, not unless you count Mike announcing to his neighbour, Conrad, that Dawn was Sarah (his wife's) replacement!

The Menorah Murders on the other hand has more than its fair share of kinky bits-from cannibalism to auto-erotic ashphyxiation...like I said I dread to think the image that conveys of yours truly!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Davis | 11 comments I write for two reasons.

1.) To entertain. I love for my stories to evoke emotion and truly entertain their readers.

2.) To get the nagging ideas and characters out of my head.

message 8: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) Richard wrote: "What do writers want?

Fingerless gloves, a smokeless fire, and a solicitous muse."

Those, yes. And to some, like me, it's just a fun hobby.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I want people to read my writing and enjoy it, and if they don't enjoy it, they should tell me what they'd like better so I can do better next time :)

message 10: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Jones (authra) | 1074 comments I want to be able to walk into a book store and be able to pick up my own book. I am not sure that will ever happen

message 11: by Sybil (new)

Sybil Powell (sybilpowell) | 84 comments All I want is a bit of luck.

message 12: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Young | 63 comments A reader to enter the space I have created to entertain, challenge, tickle, infuriate, annoy, puzzle, please, and try to make them think.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marie Gabriel (lisamariegabriel) | 7 comments Genuine readers who are happy to be surprised and don't get annoyed with my English spelling and grammar! :)

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbie_smith) | 22 comments I want to teach, to tell stories, to see my stories performed, to work out ideas, to interact with others of like mind. I would love to make money, yes I want this very badly, but even if I don't make money I will write. I enjoy the process immensely, especially if I can write what I want instead of what someone tells me to. I also enjoy it when others enjoy what I have written.

message 15: by Sybil (new)

Sybil Powell (sybilpowell) | 84 comments Debbie wrote: "I want to teach, to tell stories, to see my stories performed, to work out ideas, to interact with others of like mind. I would love to make money, yes I want this very badly, but even if I don't m..." Debbie I could have written this myself, in fact I wish I had, it expresses exactly how I feel about writing too.

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbie_smith) | 22 comments Thanks Sybil. The older I get the more I want to write. Maybe I have more things to write about. LOL. I don't know.

message 17: by Sybil (last edited Mar 13, 2014 09:45AM) (new)

Sybil Powell (sybilpowell) | 84 comments I must admit a lot of my writing is based on things I've done in my life, places I've been and situations I've had to deal with. Makes it easier on the imagination!

message 18: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) I want readers that will be entertained and inspired by my stories. Pretty simple.

message 19: by Sybil (new)

Sybil Powell (sybilpowell) | 84 comments Sherri wrote: "I want readers that will be entertained and inspired by my stories. Pretty simple." I've been looking for them too.

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Krupa | 23 comments I want people to see a part of themselves in my characters and feel the emotion of the character.
Escape from the real world and enjoy sharing it
with the main character.

Three thing my stories included
'Law' 'Truth' 'Faith'.

Hard right.

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Krupa | 23 comments I want people to see a part of themselves in my characters and feel the emotion of the character.
Escape from the real world and enjoy sharing it
with the main character.

Three thing my stories included
'Law' 'Truth' 'Faith'.

Hard right.

message 22: by Danielle (last edited Mar 17, 2014 04:51PM) (new)

Danielle Krupa | 23 comments Sorry I didn't mean to double post.