Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

In Memoriam - Poem by Mary C.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 941 comments This lovely poem, written by a member of our forum, is in two different places in the forum but the moderators felt that it belonged in a place more easily accessible, especially for newcomers:

The lights are out in Baildon. Every street
From Saltgate to the Abbey ruins lies
Empty and dark. No tread of moving feet
Is heard in Market Square, no words, no cries
From children at the Grammar School, no voice.
The lanes are still about the countryside.
Fennels at Ockley, Hattons at Mortiboys
Are gone, and brambles choke the Lady’s Ride.
The books are closed in Turnbull’s law chamber.
Cobwebs hang thick upon the shuttered door
Of th’ Hawk in Hand, and down at Bywater
The ships lie beached along the silting shore.
The bell has tolled its last for Martin Reed
At Flaxham Church. The last Tom Thoroughgood
Has bred at Nettleton his last gold steed.
Silence has fallen over Layer Wood.

copyright 2009, Mary Crawford Clawsey

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy | 23 comments Oh, my - this is wonderful. Thank you.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2233 comments Yes isn't it lovely - speaking so completely to us NL fans as well as being beautiful in it's own right.

message 4: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments I agree, Judy. There are almost no words to describe how perfectly Mary has captured these scenes for us to recall as we remember this great author who has brought all of us so much joy. Thank you again and again for sharing it, dear Mary. I still have the poem framed and hanging right beside my pc.

message 5: by Barbara (last edited Feb 08, 2014 05:58AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2233 comments Sylvia wrote: "I agree, Judy. There are almost no words to describe how perfectly Mary has captured these scenes for us to recall as we remember this great author who has brought all of us so much joy. Thank yo..."

Also Judy, you might be interested in the map that Sylvia crafted of Layer Wood . There is a dedicated thread. She is too modest to mention it , but it is very mention-worthy.

message 6: by Sylvia (last edited Feb 08, 2014 01:34PM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Thank you, Barbara. I would like to encourage all members who love to follow maps to consider trying your hand at designing a Layer Wood/towns/villages map and sharing it with all of us. All the basic locations are already researched by our members (about 20 pages of notes) and may be obtained from Werner Lind, a college librarian, and one of our members. I suggest a small donation to cover mailing and copying/paper/time costs.

The address is: Werner Lind, Easterly Library, Bluefield College, 3000 College Drive, Bluefield, VA 24605 USA

Thanks, Werner, as always, for keeping our research on file.