Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The Kitchen House
This topic is about The Kitchen House
The Kitchen House > TWO Narrators

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (last edited Feb 07, 2014 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
As you know, this story has two narrators. Whose story did you enjoy reading the most? Do you have any opinions about why Lavinia's chapters were so much longer than Belle's?

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I enjoyed reading Lavinia's narratives the most. She has the largest portion since this really is her story, it begins and ends with her. I visualize the storyline and characters as a wagon wheel; Lavinia is the substantial hub, the other characters are the spokes that lead out to the rim. The rim is their interactions and the theme of slavery that connects them all.
I'm not sure why I chose this image of a wheel, but that's what came to mind. Also, for me it has to be a wagon wheel which is heavy, hand made and forged from iron and steel; to me the only wheel capable of carrying such a heavy subject as this book takes on.

Laura | 92 comments Karen, great observation!
I would have loved to have gotten some more content from Belle's perspective. That being said, Lavinia is the one that has the most growing up to do, so it's interesting to see the change from this terrified little girl to the woman she grows up to be.

Natasha Buscombe-barton | 3 comments I enjoyed belles the most as this is where we learn most of the truth regarding the people involved. It was interesting to start with the story being told with a young innocent perspective, then we learn the jarring truth from belles perspective.

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Natasha wrote: "I enjoyed belles the most as this is where we learn most of the truth regarding the people involved. It was interesting to start with the story being told with a young innocent perspective, then we..."

I also enjoyed Belle's narrative. Lavinia was very innocent and naive, especially as a child and without Belle's input, it would have been hard to get a good understanding of the lives of the slaves. It is very much Lavinia's story but I thought Belle's story was what anchored the plot.