Discovering Russian Literature discussion

GENERAL TOPICS > Recommend.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William | 1 comments You have thirty words to persuade me to read ........ I would like a couple of dozen recommends read one and feed back to the group. Regards Bill

message 2: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Yarrow | 26 comments THE MASTER AND MARGARITA is a caustic criticism of Soviet society, yet also a moving love story. The Devil and his minions victimize the established literati by performing decapitations, committing arson, and practicing black magic. Meanwhile, Margarita flies on her broom through Moscow in search of her persecuted lover, the Master, who has burned his historical novel about Pontius Pilate and Christ.

Here is a link to my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Nataliav (new)

Nataliav | 1 comments Start with Heart of a Dog by Bulgakov, if you enjoy reading 1984 by Orwell. Read Kreutzer Sonata by Tolstoy, if you like deep psychological analysis of jealousy in a marriage. Then Idiot by Dostoevsky, if you are interested in learning Russian soul. Have a good time!!!

message 4: by Mihaela (new)

Mihaela (mihaela_pesheva) Read some Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov . Why? Because you will enjoy it :))) , I promise.

message 5: by Ostap (new)

Ostap Bender | 2 comments Give the rather unknown "12 Chairs" of Ilf & Petrov a try. First of all, you will read something not every mentions as Dostojevsky and so on, second you will recognize the top-notch quality of this book because it will make you laugh about things in a time, which most readers never experienced by themselves. So it's kind of universal humor.