Carpe Librum Book Club discussion

book discussions > 172 Hours on the Moon - February 2014

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Em (new)

Em (Verity Reviews) (neitherness) | 44 comments Mod
This is where our discussion of 172 Hours on the moon will be held.

message 2: by Em (new)

Welcome to our February book discussion! I hope you all enjoyed the book. A few questions to ponder:

What did you think of the worldwide lottery? Would you have joined?

Did you think the doppelgangers were scary? What do you think they actually were?

Did you like the ending? Did it surprise you?

What did or did you not like about the book overall?

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (philomath) What did you think of the worldwide lottery? Would you have joined?

You know what’s funny I asked this question to my Dad and his answer was “Hell no, I like soil on my feet and breathing air”. We discussed it and came to the conclusion that the only way we would go to the moon is if space technology was like that on Star Trek. That way the possibility of us dying is minimized hahah.

Did you think the doppelgangers were scary? What do you think they actually were?

I loved that it wasn’t your typical green alien and we received barely any explanation as to what or why it is because in reality we would not know. A creature like that exists so far outside of our understanding that, to me, it makes the story that much more terrifying. I found the doppelgänger concept to be similar to body snatchers, in other alien movies where the alien invades the human and controls them, whereas here, the entity mimics the individual. It’s like an asexual conscientious being from another dimension that reproduces by multiplying. I think the possibilities of its origin are endless.

Once they were on the moon I was blown away with how quickly the terror started to manifest, for a second I thought it would occur at a more slow and subtle pace. My opinions on the characters, specifically Mia, changed and I was rooting for her and the gang the whole time. Of course nothing went as planned, but to be honest I don’t think the book would have affected me as much if the story had ended on a good note. When the doppelganger and Mia were struggling I hoped the real Mia was on the escape pod, the author did a really good job of interchanging the dialogue and switching the perspectives to confuse the reader. I was a bit surprised, mostly at how the doppleganger waited to kill everyone the real Mia knew. It not only mimicked her appearance but also knew her story and family.

I am currently lending this book to a friend and he is complaining non-stop about his dislike for the characters, but I keep pressuring him to get to the second half, that once they are on the moon it will make up for the first part. This basically sums up my opinion on this book. I found the first part to be rushed and basically filler. However, I did enjoy the strange warning signs that happened to each character and I was trying to come up with theories as to whom or what was trying to warn them.

I researched doppelgangers, because I enjoy scaring myself haha, and the story of Emilie Sagee is real (which I did not know)
http://paranormal.about.com/od/Doppel...

And the 6EQUJ5 signal is real too, I probably should of guessed from the image in the book but I can be clueless sometimes haha.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal So neat!

message 4: by Em (new)

I totally agree - I wouldn't have joined the lottery in a million years. I've always loved astronomy and space, but after leaning about all the disasters that can happen in space (not to mention reading books/watching movies like this)I never really wanted to be an astronaut. Ever. According to this book, I'm too short,t though!

I thought the characters were kind of a strange pick to go on a moon mission. Since space-training was skipped over entirely, we have no idea why they were chosen. I also don't really understand WHY. It's NASA running the mission, so why would they choose kids from other countries? I kind of liked that they weren't from America, but NASA is an American program, so it doesn't make all that much sense. It also doesn't make sense to send kids to the moon when there's something definitely hostile up there. They installed NUCLEAR WARHEADS, for God's sake. The interest shouldn't have been in studying the doppelgangers (which turned out impossible anyway) but on staying the HELL away from them.

They really freaked me out, if you can't tell. The fact that they're not even technically alive was weird to think about. And the ending, when Mia's copy was turning everyone into her? I didn't get it, but I was scared as shit.

The first half the book was pretty painful to read, and I didn't like the characters all that much. Even in the second/third parts, they were kind of crappy, but the terror was great. Finding out that Emilie Sagee is real is even more terrifying. *shudders*

message 5: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 27, 2014 03:45PM) (new)

Stephanie (philomath) I completely forgot about the beginning with that strange meeting lol, I clearly wasn't paying attention to the first part. It does seem a bit unrealistic, I don't think a nation would risk sending three teenagers to a place with nuclear warheads, let alone the moon. There are too many risks factors. If I was investigating some scary alien thing I would be sending more than 5 astronauts and three teenagers.

I honestly can't even fathom how that doppelgänger came into being. Like did it cross dimensions? It creeps me out to think about.

There are too many unanswered questions gah! I read somewhere there was going to be a sequel but I couldn't find anything to confirm it.

Edit: words

message 6: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 20 comments Mod

I might seem crazy, but YES!!! I really wanted to be an astronaut when I was little, and it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Though I would be a little nervous because of all the things that have gone wrong in space in the past, I still would enter. Plus, it's not like when you enter you really expect to win anyway. (this being all hypothetical because I'm too short to enter too hahaha)

I really did think the doppelgangers were scary (plus I finished very late at night which added to the creepiness). The doppelgangers were what I really enjoyed about the book. They were terrifying and unique. I think they were some new form of life (maybe a form of life not recognized to us as living) that is from far away in the galaxy. I've never really encountered anything like them in books before and I thought they were refreshingly scary.

I actually couldn't really read the last two pages (the ones that came after the regular print) because I was reading on a nook. I haven't been able to get my hands on a print copy yet, so if anyone wants to fill me in on what happens those two pages it would be lovely. But even without the last part, I was surprised, yet happy, that there was not a happy ending. YA books typically have happy endings so I liked the change.

Overall, I loved how thrilling the book was. I think I am going to start reading some thriller/horror books now because I found that I actually liked to be scared. In the beginning, I hated the characters because they were so flat. But by the end, there was so much action that the characters didn't bother me anymore. I thought this book was different and I really did enjoy it

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Oh I forgot to mention that I actually wish we could see how exactly they trained for the mission. I was disappointed when we went from their fist meeting to the day of the mission.... I don't know if anyone else wanted this or just me

message 8: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 28, 2014 11:44AM) (new)

Stephanie (philomath) Misty here is your chance!

http://www.mars-one.com/

I think you can still apply.

message 9: by Kristina (new)

oh cool!! unfortunately I am too young :(
I had no idea this was happening and it was really interesting to read about!! I find it interesting that in the book, everyone in the entire world knew about the trip to the moon, but in real life, very few people know about an opportunity like this!!!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (philomath) I heard about it awhile ago, I believe it was announced last year. The thing is once you go you can never come back. That's what I don't like. I don't know if they are trying to terraform Mars, like make it a second Earth as backup or if it's just for funding and research. It's funny how they are letting random people go instead of trained astronauts, just like the book. It'll probably become a space reality show haha.

message 11: by Trish (new)

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 9 comments *awkwardly shuffles in to discussion late*

I read this to my brother during February because the synopsis grabbed his attention. He had pretty much the same thoughts as me (he prefers I read to him over audio books because he can ask questions or discuss with me haha), so that was fun :)

Misty, you're a brave person haha! I would never put my name in because knowing my luck I would've been picked... I don't like the idea of going up there with no guarantees. I'm not one to really take risks.

They were my favorite part of the book! They were so creepy... I was taken aback by them. I expected maybe evil aliens from the beginning with the strange warnings, but I didn't imagine they'd be so scary. They made the story more thrilling, which was a desperate need for the book I think around the time they appeared. I think they're a type of alien species that may have been put on the moon for some purpose because they overpopulated another planet and have just been waiting for a chance to get to Earth. I don't know, it's all very ambiguous, which I kind of liked. They weren't completely explained... Although a sequel would be cool to get some insight on that. Knowing how to look like them could be easily explained, maybe some chemical or protein makes the doppelgangers look however they want, but I want to know how they knew details about each of their lives. Like, how could they have possibly known about Midori's urban legends and Mia's family?

I liked the ending because it wasn't expected. It was freaky and added more to the book. I'm more inclined to read a possible sequel with this ending rather than if it had ended on a happier note. My brother on the other hand, got upset at the end because everyone died haha. He said he wanted at least one person to have lived, but I think that would've been too... movie-cheesy-ish, you know what I'm saying? It was surprising which is why I liked it so much.

Thrillers are my favorite genre for books and movies, so the end I was extremely happy with. The beginning though KILLED me. I almost asked my brother if he wanted me to stop reading because none of the characters were interesting. I'm sure I would have felt differently about them if the training hadn't been skipped entirely. We missed so much character development. And what was up with the romance between Mia and Antoine haha? I also missed this, but who was the Dr. blank?

Misty, the two pages in the back is a report from a 2081 mission from Earth to Europa stopping at the moon first. The report comments on the bodies of everyone who died there and includes a letter Mia wrote to her family before she died (and she just says she's dying alone watching Earth).