That's Normal's Boozy Book Club discussion

The Siren (The Original Sinners, #1)
This topic is about The Siren
The Original Sinners series > The Siren (Original Sinners Series) Main Discussion

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Beth (bethorne) | 310 comments Mod
One of our optional books for February: The Siren!!! You can discuss it here without spoiler tags (that means if you haven't finished, beware). If you want to discuss things that happen in later books, please feel free to start a new discussion thread in this folder.

Jamie (thiscitygirl) | 25 comments Mod
I just cannot get behind beating someone senseless because it turns them and you on.

I tried.

Just doesn't do it for me. Hurts my soul.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Oh hai. I'll be here ALL MONTH.

BroLo... the best way to look at it is that it's two adults making a consensual decision to do something that turns them both on. The thing with this book -- and this series -- is that there really isn't that much BDSM meant for being a turn-on; it's way more about the character development and the plot.

It's definitely a genre-bender, and while yeah, there are some scenes not for the squeamish -- especially in The Prince -- it's less erotica and more erotic fiction.

Kristin | 19 comments This is probably the first time in a while that I've read a book where I have essentially nothing in common with the female lead. I'm only halfway through it, but so far, I can't relate to Nora with about 98% of her life. I love it! Having a completely different character like Nora is turning out to be so much fun for me, because I'm not really questioning her choices or predicting what she will do or say next. I'm just going with it, and it's freaking great. It's shaking me out of a book slump I've been in lately, so I am all for the Nora related shenanigans the rest of this book has for me.!

Kathryn | 62 comments Okay, this was a difficult read for me. I don't get the pain for pleasure thing at all. I'm also Catholic and Soren freaked me out. I did soldier on after taking a long break after the 8th Circle and that's when I really started to get the character development and plot arc side of the book (and was able to forget most of the first half). I think Nora gets so much more interesting in the second half. She has so much selflessness -- or is that a product of her submissiveness to Soren's dominance crossing over to aspects of her other relationships? I guess I considered Nora to be selfless by in a way sending Zach and Grace back together and also "giving up" Wesley. It also occurred to me that the book is filled with dominant/submissive relationships or at least relationships where one person is a person of authority. Zach was Grace's professor; Soren was Nora's priest; Nora was Wesley's professor, et al.

Ultimately, the book made me feel uncomfortable and kind of like I was watching a particularly heinous episode of Law & Order SVU. So maybe I'm trying to find deeper meaning.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Kathryn wrote: "Okay, this was a difficult read for me. I don't get the pain for pleasure thing at all. I'm also Catholic and Soren freaked me out. I did soldier on after taking a long break after the 8th Circle a..."

There are days I wish I could go back to that fresh reading of THE SIREN and experience it again all over again, because my reactions to it now are colored by the rest of the series (and the outtakes). I DEFINITELY think it's a difficult book. And yet it pales in difficulty compared to some of the other books in the series. And yet that's what I love most about it.

So much of the BDSM erotica has been this erotic romance stuff where we have the hero with the flogger and the heroine is a Mary Sue who falls into the whole thing and struggle with him beating her ass and then they get married and have babbies and leave HEA.

THE SIREN sort of throws that all out the window and brings complex personalities to the mix who aren't looking for a cure for kink or even necessarily for a soulmate. They're in this purely for the experience as it happens and let the chips fall where they may.

I will confess (heh) that when I first read this, I absolutely hated Søren. Hated. Used to hashtag my tweets #TeamSørenDIAF. But having read four additional books now (heh... yes, I can admit I've already read THE SAINT), I can say that he's one of my favorite characters ever. The complexity of his character is riveting, and when I go back and reread THE SIREN knowing what I know now, I'm amazed at how little of him we were shown. I can create an entire internal narrative for his POV of THE SIREN and OMG, why have I not written that as fanfic?

tl;dr It's MEANT to make the reader uncomfortable and BTW, Reisz is Catholic as well. ;)

Jamie wrote: "I just cannot get behind beating someone senseless because it turns them and you on.

I tried.

Just doesn't do it for me. Hurts my soul."

It doesn't hurt my soul. It does hurt my very sensitive skin. I get it to be quite honest. Psychologically it makes sense. I find the emotional dynamics of those kinds of relationships really fascinating and more real most of the time than your generic romantic ideals. But in practice, I feel like it would be the worst thing ever. Like ow. And no. And can I submit without pain, please? Thanks.

Kristin wrote: "This is probably the first time in a while that I've read a book where I have essentially nothing in common with the female lead. I'm only halfway through it, but so far, I can't relate to Nora wit..."

She's definitely a breath of fresh air. There are aspects to Nora that I relate to a lot, so I can't say that I feel totally at sea with her and her choices. But her freedom is what struck me when I first read The Siren. WHO in the world gets to be that free? It amazes me. Pretty jealous of Nora to be quite honest.

Kathryn wrote: "Okay, this was a difficult read for me. I don't get the pain for pleasure thing at all. I'm also Catholic and Soren freaked me out. I did soldier on after taking a long break after the 8th Circle a..."

Soren will only freak you out one third of the way through The Angel, and then you will NOT BE ABLE TO GET ENOUGH OF HIM.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Beth wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I just cannot get behind beating someone senseless because it turns them and you on.

I tried.

Just doesn't do it for me. Hurts my soul."

It doesn't hurt my soul. It does hurt my ve..."

YES, Beth! You can absolutely submit without pain. There are D/s couples who simply participate in the D/s without the physical aspect: all non-tangible submission.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Beth wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Okay, this was a difficult read for me. I don't get the pain for pleasure thing at all. I'm also Catholic and Soren freaked me out. I did soldier on after taking a long break after ..."

I warmed up a little during THE ANGEL. Lost my shit during THE PRINCE. Which got thrown. Twice. Because of what it was doing to my Søren hate.

message 12: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyndy wrote: "Beth wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Okay, this was a difficult read for me. I don't get the pain for pleasure thing at all. I'm also Catholic and Soren freaked me out. I did soldier on after taking a long..."

I hated Soren thrice. When we first meet him, the shower scene and the elevator scene. And then in context of later books ... GAH. It almost makes me hate NORA in those scenes. Ok, no. There is one scene in The Angel where ... GRRRR. NO SOREN.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments hated Soren thrice. When we first meet him, the shower scene and the elevator scene. And then in context of later books ... GAH. It almost makes me hate NORA in those scenes. Ok, no. There is one scene in The Angel where ... GRRRR. NO SOREN. "

LOL. I loved that book. I reread it obsessively. OBSESSIVELY. I am so in love with Griffin it's not even funny, and I fell in love with him during THE SIREN so THE ANGEL was just like <3 overload.

message 14: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyndy wrote: " hated Soren thrice. When we first meet him, the shower scene and the elevator scene. And then in context of later books ... GAH. It almost makes me hate NORA in those scenes. Ok, no. There is one ..."

I loved loved loved The Angel as well. In fact, when I think about why I love that series, most of the reasons are in The Angel and the outtakes.

message 15: by Cyndy (last edited Feb 18, 2014 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments I loved loved loved The Angel as well. In fact, when I think about why I love that series, most of the reasons are in The Angel and the outtakes.

Yes, but I totally fell in love with Søren at "100 Things."

Synopsis of my Søren feels: http://www.rtbookreviews.com/rt-daily...-

message 16: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyndy wrote: "I loved loved loved The Angel as well. In fact, when I think about why I love that series, most of the reasons are in The Angel and the outtakes.

Yes, but I totally fell in love with Søren at "10..."

Ah yes the 100 things. I forgot that was in The Prince. Also his response to "my hart" gah. My problem with The Prince and The Mistress never had anything to do with Soren. To be honest, I fell more in love with him on every page, and can't get enough of him. As far as his role as God-figure, I see him fully as OT God AND the NT one. Because, after all, God's nature never changes. It's only our response to him that does.

My TP review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

And my review for The Mistress is essentially this: she turned every character into Nora.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Beth wrote: "Cyndy wrote: "I loved loved loved The Angel as well. In fact, when I think about why I love that series, most of the reasons are in The Angel and the outtakes.

Yes, but I totally fell in love wit..."

Now see, I loved TM. I may have been viewing it from a different perspective, because as a writer seeing the layer upon layer of plot that slowly unwrapped over the course of the books was pretty mesmerizing.

message 18: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyndy wrote: "Beth wrote: "Cyndy wrote: "I loved loved loved The Angel as well. In fact, when I think about why I love that series, most of the reasons are in The Angel and the outtakes.

Yes, but I totally fel..."

I appreciated the imagery, the connective strings from the other books, but I also thought some of it was heavy handed (Grace and Wes particularly). I know if I go back and re-read I might like it more, but I'm pretty sure my initial feeling that each character took on Nora's worldview won't change.

message 19: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11 comments I hadn't planned on reading The Siren this month, really. The Goodreads description did nothing for me. But y'all kept talking about it...

I just finished it and I have no idea what to think (well, except that I should get back to work). I don't think I'm easily offended, but the Michael thing bothered me. And while most of the BDSM stuff I could remain non-judgmental about, the sharing and striking the face really bothered me to the point it made me hate Soren. Oh, and poor Wes!

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Courtney wrote: "I hadn't planned on reading The Siren this month, really. The Goodreads description did nothing for me. But y'all kept talking about it...

I just finished it and I have no idea what to think (we..."

YOU ARE EXACTLY WHERE I WAS at the end of The Siren. You need to keep reading. I promise.

message 21: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 11 comments Has anyone read The Angel or The Prince? Curious to know if they're quality or too scary.

Kathryn | 62 comments Courtney wrote: "Has anyone read The Angel or The Prince? Curious to know if they're quality or too scary."

If you read back through the thread, Cyndy and Beth have and kind of raved about the whole series - - really started to convince me to continue. I'm still a little on the fence. Nora ending up in the hospital at the end of The Siren does not a fun sexual experience make (IMO).

message 23: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Courtney wrote: "Has anyone read The Angel or The Prince? Curious to know if they're quality or too scary."

I've read all of them. And all of them are scary in a suspenseful way. And I felt exactly how you did at the end of The Siren, but trust me, not everything is how you think it is. You should read on if you are at all intrigued.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Yep, have read them all. I think THE ANGEL is still my favorite, but THE SAINT is running close, I have to tell you. ;) I have reviews up for all of them through THE MISTRESS, but my reviewing days of these books is, unfortunately, done.

THE PRINCE is dark and a little scary, but it's the kind of book that stays with you long afterward.

message 25: by Cara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cara | 17 comments Courtney wrote: "I hadn't planned on reading The Siren this month, really. The Goodreads description did nothing for me. But y'all kept talking about it...

I just finished it and I have no idea what to think (we..."

I agree, the sharing and the hitting in the face were a little much for me. Those must be my hard limits. I tried to understand that Nora wanted those things to happen, but I just can't relate to that. I can't imagine wanting to be with someone who passes me around to his friends. How hot do the friends have to be to make this okay? I'm thinking Henry Cavill hot. And even then it would be weird.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Cara wrote: "Courtney wrote: "I hadn't planned on reading The Siren this month, really. The Goodreads description did nothing for me. But y'all kept talking about it...

I just finished it and I have no idea ..."

I can't tell you any more than KEEP READING. I was EXACTLY THERE with Søren and now I'm in love with him. That should tell you something. ;)

Oh, and Tiffany has blogged and tweeted her mental casting for the roles. This is Kingsley: http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photo...

message 27: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara wrote: "Courtney wrote: "I hadn't planned on reading The Siren this month, really. The Goodreads description did nothing for me. But y'all kept talking about it...

I just finished it and I have no idea ..."

You don't think sharing, to someone like NORA would be hot? In traditional relationships, I see it as abhorrent, but for them? I think Nora would be upset if she WASN"T shared.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Beth wrote: "Cara wrote: "Courtney wrote: "I hadn't planned on reading The Siren this month, really. The Goodreads description did nothing for me. But y'all kept talking about it...

I just finished it and I ..."

I would volunteer to be the Oreo filling in any Sinners sandwich, except for Wes. ::hork::

Kristin | 19 comments I just started The Prince and maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't get the Wesley thing. In The Siren I was okay with him because Soren came across as the bad guy to me. Then The Angel happened. Go away Wesley. You are my younger brothers age and you're in the way of Soren.

Cyndy Aleo (cyndyaleo) | 23 comments Kristin wrote: "I just started The Prince and maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't get the Wesley thing. In The Siren I was okay with him because Soren came across as the bad guy to me. Then The Angel happened. Go aw..."

::sidles up next to Kristin and pronounces you my new sister::

message 31: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristin wrote: "I just started The Prince and maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't get the Wesley thing. In The Siren I was okay with him because Soren came across as the bad guy to me. Then The Angel happened. Go aw..."

I don't get Wes either. It's almost what ruined The Prince for me, but then I realized I could just ignore him. He's even MORE annoying and useless in The Mistress.