Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > March 2014 Avenging Angel Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Feb 07, 2014 09:45AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
The theme for the March group read is Avenging Angel. This would include any lead characters who right wrongs, fight for the disadvantage, or otherwise stand up against injustice on behalf of the wronged/disadvantaged party. It could include a vigilante, but it's not limited to that. The avenging angel could be law enforcement or military (working within the justice system). The book can be any subgenre of action/adventure, so long as it fits the overall theme of Avenging Angel.

Each member is welcome to nominate one book by adding a link to the book title or bookcover on Goodreads. You can do this by clicking on the 'add book/author' link above the text book. Only books that are nominated by adding the Goodreads link will be added to the poll. I need to know what books are being nominated and this is the more clear way to indicate it. No exceptions!

The book must be either a standalone (if part of a series, can be read as standalone) or the first in a series.

The book must be readily available, meaning it is available new or in ebook format (not out of print).

Books that have previously been selected as group reads are not eligible. You can find a list of past group reads by clicking on this link:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

The poll will go up on February 14th.

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
How about... "The Temple Dogs" by Warren Murphy

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
I'm going to vote for Slash and Burn by Matt Hilton.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The Temple Dogs looks interesting, Hugh.

message 5: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I read it a long time ago and enjoyed it.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 794 comments I'd like to nominate Black Light by Stephen Hunter. It's the 2d of the Bob Lee Swagger series, but I think it stands alone well enough. Point Of Impact is the first & has been made into a movie, so I think most are familiar with Bob Lee, anyway. In this story, he looks into the murder of his father. If you've read Dirty White Boys, you'll recognize some characters from it, too. Not a prerequisite, though.

If you disagree, then please use The Master Sniper as my nomination. It's a WWII book about the survivor of a prison camp tracking down a killer who is on his last mission for the Nazis.

message 7: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt How about Man On Fire, saw the movie but never read the book.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. It closes on Feb 22nd.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

We have a tie, so please vote in the runoff poll. It will close in 2 days, February 24th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

We ended up with another tie in the runoff, so we will read both books as group reads. Our March Group Read will be Man on Fire by AJ Quinnell and our April group Read will be Slash and Burn by Matt Hilton.

message 11: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan | 274 comments Man on Fire,one of my most favorite novel EVER. Looking forward to the discussion :)