The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3) The Daylight War discussion

Am I The Only Person Who Prefers Renna To Leesha?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maxine Right! First! Let me tell you why I dislike Leesha and prefer him with Renna!

Why I hate Leesha: At first I hated her because she was described as a "Perfect" character. As in she was the most talented, fastest learner, prettiest, smartest, held high values and no matter who it was, every man stumbled on her and was automatically smitten. That is so tiring and I hate it. Maybe it's a woman's nature to hate other women but something about her really grinds my teeth.
Now I hate her because, even though she is described as smart, I find her to act more like a selfish stupid bitch.
She is a hypocrite that sees herself as above people, such as when she attacks Rojer for sleeping with his soon-to-be wives but is throwing herself at Jardir, all the while knowing he wants to marry her but is refusing his proposal. She says they don't have the full story of what Jardir did but people are out on the road and begged for shelter after he ran them out of their homes. She actually gives him her cloak... Why? Because someone who so quickly murders people needs help sneaking up on them? I also have a low opinion of people who pretend a child is someone else's when it isn't. It's cowardice and I hate it.
In general I just really hate her.

Why I like Renna: I think Renna is a good fighter (not needing to be saved constantly) plus she is described as pretty but not over the top beautiful and she has her problems. I like her rage, it makes her human, as does her jealousy and insecurities. I think her and Arlen are cute together and I hope we do see some more of Renna when she isn't with Arlen because they have kind of been stuck together most of the time.

Finally, one of the other main reasons I like Arlen and Renna rather than Leesha and Arlen (other than their general character and the fact that Arlen said himself that Leesha didn't know him at all if she was stupid enough to give him a cloak of invisibility) is that I am so sick of instant love. Nothing annoys me more than a character falling in love and getting together with said love interest within the first few chapters. In this series, Arlen is promised to Renna, runs away and falls for Mery, runs away again and sleeps with Leesha (Because I don't at all think he loved her, considering he barely knew her) then runs into Renna and falls in love with her and only actually gets with her at the end of the second book. Nice and slow and believable!

Anyway. Just wondering what you're thoughts are. Don't diss me just because I am not a Leesha follower and I won't diss you for not being a fan of Renna.

Darrell Not certain how I feel about Renna just yet. She was a bit annoying in this book but at the same time she had the qualities you listed that made her more tolerable than Leesha. It gave her a more 'real' feeling than Leesha who seemingly can understand and do anything in a blink of an eye.

When it comes to Leesha it is basically how you laid it out. She is too perfect. Even though she hasn't even had sex before she is overly amazing in this category despite her partner being already married to a woman who was trained for years in this area. Really? Guess all those lessons were for nothing. Just ask Leesha how to get the deed done!

She is just a bit over the top for me. They did tone her down a bit in the latest piece. Hopefully matters will continue in that direction because I did like her in book one. But in book two she did a 180 degree turn in my opinion into the all too perfect realm of matters.

Tana I hate all of the main female characters they are really badly written. Its a shame when so many of the characters are so well written. I think Peter V Brett just can't write good female characters

message 4: by Christina (last edited Apr 14, 2014 12:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina i agree with u! Leesha thought of herself as too perfect. in the beginning i was simpathetic towards her cuz her mom beat her and she was lonely. but as the books progressed her power made her ego skyrocket. she looks down on ppl, her friends, familly, everyone.she says that she believes that its ok for woman to have premarital sex yet she looks down on the woman that do.
she's smart but only book smart, but because she's book smart she believes she always nows better then everyone else. i hate how she looks down on rojer cuz he's young and sometimes naive cuz he has lots of life experiences that she could learn from. the reason she can never find a man that satisfies her is cuz she looks down on them. (her opinion on men is well explainned in bruna's quote about fire, she doesnt trust them) and thats understandable cuz of her eperiances but its an idiot that only sees things in white and black. i hate how reckless she is cuz her life isnt only her own hundreds of ppl depend on her. her friends put their lifes in danger for her but she wont even listen to their advice. and the whole thing with jadir just shows how ppl-stupid she is, how much she still values her "chastity honor" even though she's in a position of power and her virginity no longer equals her value. and the way she strings along guys to use them is just wrong cuz she doesnt neeeeed themmmm!

i love renna she's my fav female character so strong and optimistic and angry at the world but kind enough to love. i like how she crazy enough to be able to compete with arlens crazy. and how she committed to saving herself and saving arlen(leesha also cant commit). her relationship with him is too adorable :')

but what i really hate about leesha is how much of a hypocrit she is and how god damn idiotic she is!!!
(i think marying the duke would be good for her cuz then maybe the duchess could manipulate leesha (easily) and she might LEARN to respect people and learn things from them cuz she doesnt understand ppl like her mother does. bu she allllways believes to be one step ahead, so a bitch slap from reality could do her some good)

Christina Tana wrote: "I hate all of the main female characters they are really badly written. Its a shame when so many of the characters are so well written. I think Peter V Brett just can't write good female characters"

even Inevera?

Tana Christina wrote: "Tana wrote: "I hate all of the main female characters they are really badly written. Its a shame when so many of the characters are so well written. I think Peter V Brett just can't write good fema..."

Well she is better written but she starts too become a bit a cartoonish supervillain after a bit in my opinion

Thomas Frank I'm with you. Even though the whole "love you" bits got old quickly, I think I liked Renna better in this book than I did Leesha.

Shawn Definitely agree. That he isn't that great at writing women -- though not the worst I have seen, and that Renna is the better choice for Arlen. He needs someone that will follow him into that darkness and drag him out before it is too late... Leesha would never be able to do that or even understand that darkness.

And yeah.. while I might not paint her quite so perfect.. she is definitely annoying and hypocritical.

Deeptanshu The one I really hated was Mery. She takes one look at his tattooed face ,calls him a monster and runs off. Really? True love my ass. Arlen dodged a bullet with that one.

Maxine Deeptanshu wrote: "The one I really hated was Mery. She takes one look at his tattooed face ,calls him a monster and runs off. Really? True love my ass. Arlen dodged a bullet with that one."

Yeah, you would think she out of all of them would be the most understanding, I mean she spent the most time with him since childhood so she would at least know him more beyond just his looks.

Deeptanshu Maxine wrote: "Deeptanshu wrote: "The one I really hated was Mery. She takes one look at his tattooed face ,calls him a monster and runs off. Really? True love my ass. Arlen dodged a bullet with that one."

Yeah,..."

No kidding mean they literally grew up together and she also knew a little about his troubled past. Just goes to show that people are seldom what they seem.

message 12: by C.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.J. Heath Regarding Mery, I don't think her actions are unrealistic, even at the start she was convinced Arlen would give up his desire to be a messenger and settle as a warder with a wife and family.
As to Leesha, her own inconsistent behaviour seems typical in my mind. From the early stages of book one I thought her character flaw was intended so we saw her with intents that could never be realised.
As to Renna, at first her conniving nature annoyed me but now, I can see it is simply her understanding of hard truths.
Is Renna the best and most likeable character of the three? Yes. It's taken me a while but she's won me over with her brutal and unforgiving determination.
I don't hate Leesha but I do wish her pedestal had not been set so high at the outset.
CJH

Thomas Frank I think it's understandable to dislike Mery, but I also think she was purposely written to be an example of how a normal person - even one very close to Arlen - would react to his choices. Her reaction lent weight to what he chose to do to himself.

message 14: by JANAR (last edited Dec 18, 2014 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JANAR Renna's love with Arlen is cute and I never tired of their "love you" lines. It keeps meaning about their relationship. Her anger is understandable to me, seeing as how her life had been and that Arlen is the only thing that matter to her. I look forward to reading more about their relationship.

And then we have Leesha. Who was likeable in the first book but got more and more annoying from book 2. After finishing Daylight war, I started to despise her. Her Foolish action, the way she looks down on others. The way she started acting like a fu***** queen and using others as her servants. In the end she can't fetch even a single thing of hers without asking Wonda to do it. And most of all, her hypocrisy. I think everyone who has read all 3 books can see that she is the biggest hypocrite in this series. I mean come on... One moment she claims that being next to Arlen is the safest place in the world and in the next she claims that she doesn't trust the Warded man more than corelings.(The dialog between Rojer and her if I'm not mistaking) Then all her bullshit with Jardir. (sleeping with him, even though claiming that she won't be one of many that she doesn't want to share him) And the nerve to judge Rojer when he had a little fun in the bath with his soon to be wives. How she wanted Gared to refuse his titles and reward when they got back to Hollow even though she didn't refuse Hers? Like seriously?? And these are just a few of many.
I hope she dies somehow... But I just know she sadly won't. Meaning I have to bear her hypocrisy for 2 more books.

so all in all
Renna>Rojer's wives>Inevera>corelings>million other things, characters>Leesha

Christina Djinnu wrote: "Renna's love with Arlen is cute and I never tired of their "love you" lines. It keeps meaning about their relationship. Her anger is understandable to me, seeing as how her life had been and that A..."

lol yes!!! shes so god damned stupid! i hate leesha!

Kiana Noelle Darrell wrote: "Not certain how I feel about Renna just yet. She was a bit annoying in this book but at the same time she had the qualities you listed that made her more tolerable than Leesha. It gave her a more '..."

Ha, I totally understand. I hated both of them and honestly kind of preferred Arlen alone. Renna never grew up while Leesha was just too Little Miss Perfect. But then I actually really start loving Renna, also because of the qualities listed. Plus, she's so believable. Her rage is what makes me love her more, so huzzah!

Kiana Noelle Djinnu wrote: "Renna's love with Arlen is cute and I never tired of their "love you" lines. It keeps meaning about their relationship. Her anger is understandable to me, seeing as how her life had been and that A..."

Ahhhh yes that sooo bothered me! (referring to Leesha and Wonda, and Leesha's "her highness" attitude).

Renna>Rojer's wives>Inevera>corelings>million other things, characters>Leesha

^^This. This sums up my life. Except I like Rojer's wives more than Renna a little bit because it took me a bit to warm up to Renna.

message 18: by Silentwolf (last edited Jan 23, 2015 12:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silentwolf I have to agree about Leesha.
While I don't hate her, I don't like her either.
I had hoped she would go in the direction of Bruna or the Duchess. The smart woman holding the strings without the direct rule. Bruna reminded me of the witches in the discworld series. They have no official power and crave none, but when things need to be done, they are done.

Perhaps it is understandable, but her many talents and smarts have made her arrogant. Again probably realistic, but not likeable.

The thing I dislike most is her hypocracy. She always laments that men are agressive and destructive, but then she falls for every man who is well muscled and kills for a living.

Damaris Rodela One thing I have encountered in Fantasy books is that female characters are unrealistic. With that said is hard for me to like them. But in this case I hated with a passion Leesha; I agree with the comments above regarding her. I like the fact that Renna does what she wants whether or not she has Arden's consent yet able to work together. So I like her better.

Naomi Renna is growing on me...I'll reserve judgement for later

message 21: by Woulf (last edited Mar 09, 2015 03:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Woulf I'm a huge Renna fan. I think she gets a bad rep from the incident with the man grabbing her in the inn.

I would like to see her separate from Arlen a bit so she gets to develop on her own. I liked it when he was down for a bit and she did her thing.

Leesha has become the worst character. I hope she repairs herself.

I'm surprised at how many people like Inevera. Even with her history I can't bring myself to like her.

Wonda>Renna>Rojers wives>everyone else>Inevera>Leesha

Maxine Woulf wrote: "I'm a huge Renna fan. I think she gets a bad rep from the incident with the man grabbing her in the inn.

I would like to see her separate from Arlen a bit so she gets to develop on her own. I like..."

One of the things I really hope for is more Renna alone parts. Though I do love her and Arlen's moments together, I wanna see Renna as her own person.

Martin Jovanovski Tana wrote: "Christina wrote: "Tana wrote: "I hate all of the main female characters they are really badly written. Its a shame when so many of the characters are so well written. I think Peter V Brett just can..."

All the female characters are greatly written. You get a feeling that Inevera is a villain but it's what you can expect from a society where the greatest achievment for women can be 'silent manipulators'.

Renna is great because lives in a black/white world. It's either right or wrong for her. And she stands by it

Leesha is inteligent, trained to be a manipulator, trained to 'correct behavior' but still young to have the experience. She straggles with the costant new situations. And also, she lets her feeling come in the decisions about herself, and wisdom/tradition for everyone else (which makes her a hipocrit, which is so normal in real life)

Arlen is the most poorly written character here. He changed overnight somehow (which should be normal) but without explanation and/or transition. (i'm not talking about book events, nor his expected reaction to things, but the writing style of his chapters)

overall the characterisation of every character is great. Peter is as good as the best here. From the newer only Joe Abercrombie is as good or better in this.