Kent District Library discussion

Read This; It's Good! > What are your five star ***** books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kent District Library (last edited Feb 07, 2014 08:59AM) (new)

Kent District Library (kentdistrictlibrary) | 63 comments Mod
In our poll, group members most often give a book three stars. Giving four stars ran a close second. Five stars are rare; which titles did you give all your stars to?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) | 19 comments I loved STEELHEART by Brandon Sanderson! Lots of action and a great twist :)

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 4 comments THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES by Ray Bradbury was my favorite 5-star book last year; Stephen King's THE GREEN MILE and a number of Jasper Fforde books also got top marks~

message 4: by Penni (new)

Penni (penni_lynn) | 15 comments The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving. I haven't given five stars to any books I have read recently. I don't know if books touched me more deeply when I was younger, or I was reading better books then.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (wife2abadge) | 4 comments I have quite a few, though more than half are picture books. As novels go, I have 2+ by John Irving, 3+ by Kate Atkinson, Shadow of the Wind by Zafon, The Time Traveler's Wife by Niffenegger, The Giver by Lois Lowry, the first Harry Potter book, and most recently, Far Far Away by Tom McNeal.

message 6: by Steph (new)

Steph | 5 comments Have to list those books that really changed me in some way. All the greats of Sci-fi: Bradbury, Asimov, Moorcock, Silverberg, Wilhelm, LeGuin, Heinlein, Orwell, Wells, Dick, Willis, Niven, Ellison, Tiptree, Russ. The Latin American writers of magical realism: Borges, Marquez, Paz, Allende, Garro, Lispector, Ocampo, Fuentes. And Gaiman!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris Siegel (krissiegel) | 4 comments I'm very selective about my 5 star books. My absolute favorite, life-changing books are To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, and Tiny Beautiful Things, by Cheryl Strayed