What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book/Short story about a miser. Involved a golden trophy shaped like a balloon or maybe a blimp

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments I'm looking for a book that I read maybe 15-20 years ago. It might have even been a short story. I don't remember much.

There was a family and the patriarch was a miser. They lived in a big but falling apart house. The (adult?) children of the patriarch were always complaining about how much of a miser thier father (or grandfather was). Then when he passed away it turnes out that there wasn't much money actually left, the bit he had been giving them came from a golden trophy shapped like a baloon or maybe a blimp. He would just cut off bits as was needed and the baloon/blimp was a mishappen lump.

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments bump - sorry for so many today, I was justing thinking of these books again.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Kathryn--I go in and bump all of mine that are still unknown at the same time too. So doing a bunch isn't a problem.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments bump

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
What country is it set in?

message 8: by Kathryn (last edited Feb 03, 2015 01:26AM) (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments I'm not totally sure but I think it was the US, although it not there then in the UK. For some reason I think that the miser wins the trophy when he is young and its maybe the 30's or 40's (but I don't recall any mention of war) and then his heirs discovered that all wealth came from the golden blimp in the 60s or 70s.

Thanks! I had to edit this due to an inability to type prior to drinking tea.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments I've just remembered a bit more. I think at the end, after the miser/patriarch has died his family enterts a sittingroom (?) with a large fire place. There is a shapless and dust covered blog looking thing - this is what is left of the trophy.

One character feels quilty for having though his grandfather was stingy when he was actually just broke.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2087 comments Reminds me of "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments I don't think so - just after a quick look there doesn't seem to be a golden blimp trophy. But thanks!

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments bump.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

message 20: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments Bump

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

message 22: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
Kathryn, did this story appear in a collection of short stories or novellas? (If yes, what was the common theme?)

For older adults or teens (young adults)?

Any specific conflicts/tensions in the story, other than the children complaining about the patriarch's miserly ways?

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments I think that the golden blimp trophy had been won in some sort of race/competition.

I think I read this in elementary school, it could have been part of a collection. So maybe between 1985 - 1990? However, I had a penchant at the time for reading things that were older - so I don't know that when I read it and the publication date will correlate.

Thanks for your help!

message 24: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 206 comments Do you remember reading it in or for school (like in a reading textbook) or do you think this was extracurricular reading?

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments Unfortunately I couldn't say. I would read anything I could get my hands on at the time. I don't recall discussing it in school, but I don't think that matters. If it helps, I lived in Maryland at the time.