FYA Book Club of Charm City discussion

Cruel Beauty
This topic is about Cruel Beauty
Buddy Read Program > Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodget

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments We're scheduled to start reading this tomorrow. There are 26 chapters, so do we want to plan to read 4-5 chapters a day? I'm open to a slower or faster schedule.

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat (booksenvogue) | 251 comments Mod
Sure we can try that. I'm going to start now.

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh wait I've still got another day...I'll start on Saturday!

Ellon (eruschell) | 271 comments Mod
I'm a little confused. 4 or 5 chapters a day?

message 5: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments We did not make an official decision. You may call it, if you wish.

I read 5 chapters today. They are pretty short so I wouldn't mind staying at that pace (and then reading 6 chapters the last day to finish it off) but if others wish to slow down, I'll be find with that too.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Nope, 5 a day works for me. I'm going to read the first ones shortly.

A huge library where she can't read any of the books. Now that's torture!!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments I finished first 5 chapters last night. Nyx is quite hostile, but I guess that makes her more interesting than your average Disney princess. I'm a bit uncertain about having demons in a Greek mythology world. Are we thinking Shade is real prince who has been possessed by demon?

message 10: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm a little behind but catching up. That first sentence really draws you in. And really explains the moodiness of Nyx, but the way she ended that conversion with her sister in chapter 2 was ice cold.

message 11: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

That whole statue ceremony was creepy.

Starting on today's reading now.

message 12: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pg 108. I find the writing style dreamy & romantic in spite of the heavy goth storyline. It puts me in the mind of epic style or high fantasy novels.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Through chapter 10. I'm not sure how much I like Nyx, and I'm starting to doubt her effectiveness...

message 14: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah she doesn't seem to be making any progress. Oh and you were spot on about Shade.

The more I read though, the more I feel like Shade is part of Ignifex, especially since this is a Beauty and the Best story. I might be way off though haha.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Through Chapter 15. I see we have started to enter the Stockholm Syndrome portion of this Beauty and the Beast story...

message 17: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments So it's interesting to see that Astraia is just as messed up as everyone else...

But in general, I just have NO IDEA how I'm supposed to feel about these characters. Cuz it kind of turns out that everyone's at least a little bit evil.

I'm with you. I was going to post that I don't know how I feel about the latest developments.

Ha! I was right. I started to think I was totally off base though haha.

I don't know about this book. I enjoyed reading it but it didnt blow me away. I also could not believe that Nyx was going to make a bargain after all the contempt she had for people who made bargains with Ignifex or the Kindly Ones. I felt like a person in the theater yelling "don't go in there!" haha.

Are we doing Uninvited next?

message 21: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the book as well. I kind of feel like the theme is "All people are awful, but they deserve love anyway." Which, I guess, is not the worst theme ever. I'm not, in general, a big fan of "Turns out it all never happened! But only we remember it!" storylines. But overall it was interesting and not terrible.

message 22: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments We can do Uninvited or Solving for Ex next. Your choice. :-)

Oh I forgot Solving for Ex is out now. Let's do that one first!

I made a new thread for it :)