Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > My friend the author

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Last night I went to a reading of friend and first time author Peter Swanson, author of The Girl with a Clock for a Heart. This sounds like a kick! Even blurbed by Dennis Lehane.

Plot summary from Amazon:

Already optioned for film, The Girl with a Clock for a Heart is Peter Swanson’s electrifying tale of romantic noir, with shades of Hitchcock and reminiscent of the classic movie Body Heat. It is the story of a man swept into a vortex of irresistible passion and murder when an old love mysteriously reappears.

On an ordinary Friday evening at his favorite Boston tavern, George Foss’s comfortable, predictable life is shattered when a beautiful woman sits down at the bar, a woman who vanished without a trace twenty years ago.

Liana Dector isn’t just an ex-girlfriend, the first love George couldn’t quite forget. She’s also a dangerous enigma and quite possibly a cold-blooded killer wanted by the police. Suddenly, she’s back—and she needs George’s help. Ruthless men believe she stole some money . . . and they will do whatever it takes to get it back.

George knows Liana is trouble. But he can’t say no—he never could—so he makes a choice that will plunge him into a terrifying whirlpool of lies, secrets, betrayal, and murder from which there is no sure escape.

Bold and masterful, full of malicious foreboding and subtle surprises, The Girl with a Clock for a Heart is an addictive, nonstop thriller—an ever-tightening coil of suspense that grips you right up to its electrifying end.

message 2: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Looks interesting.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Sounds good!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14411 comments Sounds good Carol! I haven't been to an author event in a while (since last summer's Neil Gaiman tour) I hope next week's workload cooperates and i can go see Laura Lippmann!

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments sounds interesting, carol. let us know what you think after you read it!

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Ann wrote: "Sounds good Carol! I haven't been to an author event in a while (since last summer's Neil Gaiman tour) I hope next week's workload cooperates and i can go see Laura Lippmann!"

oh me, too, ann. i'd love to hear her speak.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Sounds good Carol.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14411 comments Oh goody, the library has The Girl with a Clock for a Heart on order, and I am number four on the list so should have it soon. Thanks, Carol!

Pet peeve of the day, when on my Kindle Fire I despise the GR mobile app, so use the full browser version. Clicking on a book link from a post leaves the silk browser and opens the app. Not a big deal but from the book page I can link to the book at the library directly only if on the full site, not from the app.
Rant over. On my phone just to read and comment the app is fine and handy. It looks clunky on the Fire.

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3545 comments looks like a good book I put it on my list to check out.

message 10: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Interesting!

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments I was going to suggest this as a group read but I checked to see if it were available at the library and it wasn't. Of course I have my own copy but I wondered if others would have that problem.

Ann if you get it soon I would like to read it together even if it doesn't make the group read list. I should be done with The Cuckoo's Calling by the time your copy comes in.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments @Ann, I cannot stand the GR ap on the Ipad -- you can't navigate easily. Since I don't have a keyboard, which makes more than a one-sentence response difficult, I don't bother, wait for the computer.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14411 comments I hope it comes in soon then Carol! Sounds good. There is only one copy in circulation, so not sure how soon it will be.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann if you get it soon I would like to read it together even if it doesn't make the group read list. I should be done with The Cuckoo's Calling by the time your copy comes in.
... I was going to suggest this as a group read but I checked to see if it were available at the library and it wasn't. Of course I have my own copy but I wondered if others would have that problem."

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I was going to suggest this as a group read but I checked to see if it were available at the library and it wasn't. Of course I have my own copy but I wondered if others would have that problem.

..."

it's being catalogued at my library. i'm in if you want to read it together when we can all get it.

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Cool! Why don't you request it and we'll see when it comes in for the two of you.

Sherry wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "it's being catalogued at my library. i'm in if you want to read it together when we can all get it.
..."

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I see the book links have changed again. Before the anchloss with Amazon, B&N was the preferred supplier. Then it became Amazon, now it is a list, but the list does not include BAM.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments My author friend just did a signing this evening at Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, Arizona. Thanks to DJ, who posted the link to their event with Julia Spencer-Fleming, I figured out out to use their ap for live events, Livestream, and watched the whole thing live! Isn't technology fab?

I wish I had posted it earlier for you Arizona people, but then again Dan is in Chicago.

I am now listening to the JSF signing so thanks, DJ!

message 18: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments It's the thought that counts, Carol.

message 19: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "My author friend just did a signing this evening at Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, Arizona. Thanks to DJ, who posted the link to their event with Julia Spencer-Fleming, I figured out out to use their..."

and he's coming to my local indie in march!

message 20: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments Bank Square Books?

message 21: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3545 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "My author friend just did a signing this evening at Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, Arizona. Thanks to DJ, who posted the link to their event with Julia Spencer-Fleming, I figured out out to use their..."

You are welcome. you can see any of the older signings on that site too if you missed it. if you sign up for the emails they notify you every time there is a signing.

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Barry wrote: "Bank Square Books?"

yes... carol was going to email you... you can sign up online :)

message 23: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Sherry wrote: "Barry wrote: "Bank Square Books?"

yes... carol was going to email you... you can sign up online :)"

I did email you last night, Barry. Hope you can join us.

message 24: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I am signed up for the book event. Free book, Free lunch, $25.99 for a lollipop to lick during the talk.

message 25: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Barry wrote: "I am signed up for the book event. Free book, Free lunch, $25.99 for a lollipop to lick during the talk."

Yay! Road trip for Carol!

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14411 comments That's a pretty nice lollipop (and good company too!)
Barry wrote: "I am signed up for the book event. Free book, Free lunch, $25.99 for a lollipop to lick during the talk."

message 27: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments I'm reviving this topic from last year to report that my friend and GR author Peter Swanson, author of The Girl with a Clock for a Heart is about to release his next book. It's called The Kind Worth Killing and it sounds like a doozy! The Publisher's Weekly blurb is here http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0.... I think I'm going to have to shoe-horn this in between all the other books I have lined up!

I have it pre-ordered for its release date of February 3. There are two Boston area signings in early February and I will attend at least one.

message 28: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm reviving this topic from last year to report that my friend and GR author Peter Swanson, author of The Girl with a Clock for a Heart is about to release his nex..."

carol- someone on one of the facebook book boards i post on read it and is RAVING about it. she loved it and said she can see it as a great movie. can't wait to read it!

message 29: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I wish Goodreads had a like button!!

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Liz, so do I.

message 31: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Sherry wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "carol- someone on one of the facebook book boards i post on read it and is RAVING about it. she loved it and said she can see it as a great movie. can't wait to read it! ..."

Wonder how she got a copy? Was it an ARC? Glad to hear it, I can't wait to read it either.

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14411 comments That sounds great for your friend, Carol! I'll have to look The Kind Worth Killing up!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm reviving this topic from last year to report that my friend and GR author Peter Swanson, author of The Girl with a Clock for a Heart is about to release his nex..."

message 33: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "carol- someone on one of the facebook book boards i post on read it and is RAVING about it. she loved it and said she can see it as a great movie. can't wait t..."

yes, an ARC, carol. she is a book reviewer or blogger or something, i think.