Beta / Proof Readers discussion

Beta Readers > Beta Reader Needed for Historical Fiction with Adult Scenes (but it's not an erotic novel)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ade (last edited Feb 07, 2014 05:58AM) (new)

Ade S (Ade-S) | 2 comments Hiya, I am currently looking for a beta reader. I am on second draft of a historical novel (a story about two near-orphans growing up in Victorian England. The story follows them from childhood to adulthood as they fight their way through years of drudgery, hardship and discoveries).

It is quite gritty, and it is neither a romance or erotic novel, but it does have elements of romance and a few sexual scenes that is not suitable for young adults. First draft is 205,000 words.

I am looking for someone who can give me deep critiques from plot to grammar to structure. I would like to send one chapter a day or week (depending on your schedule, but preferably a day) and I shall like to get the feedback the following day (or week).

Any beta reader who enjoy historical fiction is welcome. Fans of Dickens, Dumas, Michel Faber, Sarah Waters, Bronte Sisters or similar would be great.

If you are interested, please contact me and I shall send the first 10 pages to gauge your interest. Thank you.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina (elaineedits) | 29 comments I am just the person you need then. :-) You can email me at tinalatina1959@gmail. com. I would prefer a MSG Word doc. So easy to critique in that format, since that is what you are needing. TRUST
Tina E.

message 3: by Ade (new)

Ade S (Ade-S) | 2 comments Hiya Tina, I have sent you a private message via email. Thanks.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina (elaineedits) | 29 comments Got it thanks! Will look it over and contact you soon :)

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Connor | 3 comments Hello Ade.
So your novel sounds like exactly the kind of reading I enjoy. My favorite authors are Dickens, Wilkie Collins (the best!!!), Galsworthy, Thackery etc. I'd love to give it a try, but the 205K is kind of daunting. A chapter a week I think I could handle.
I am actually looking for a beta reader for my historical fiction novel (first draft corrected) set in Napoleonic Paris, also with erotic/romance elements more more geared towards literature. If you'd like to do an exchange, it would definitely sweeten the deal.
Brian O'C