The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

Randomness > Old Doctor for New Doctor Fans

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments Hi there fellow whovians. If you're like me you got to know the Doctor thanks to the new series that we all love so much. However don't forget (like they'd let us) that there is a whole Doctor life, 8 of them to be more specific, to watch and enjoy. Unfortunately, being born in 1986, I literally missed the boat, or TARDIS if you will. Thanks to the internet though I've managed to, over the years, see them all. So I thought I'd share some of what I've learned and discuss with some fellow fans of the old show. First off, for all the new series fans, I thought I'd give you a list of old Doctor stories that are great to start with. Ok, here we go:

1st- The Daleks. It's the second Doctor story, so you would miss out on some introductions, but its so much better then the first story. It's a great way to meet William Hartnell.

2nd- The Mind Robber. A lot of people would recommend Tomb of the Cybermen but the Mind Robber is such a great story. A great way to meet Patrick Troughton.

3rd- The Three Doctors. Three Doctors in one, how can you go wrong. This was a tough one for me cuz the Jon Pertwee was my favourite doctor, there were a lot of choices. For first timers though this is a great one.

4th- The Sunmakers. A very funny episode introducing you to possibly the most iconic Doctor, Tom Baker. Honestly you can watch any of his shows and you won't be disappointed, I just happen to love this story I guess.

5th- The Five Doctors. Not my favourite Doctor to be honest, i think it was more to do with his companions. This series though was great, a great adventure and a perfect introduction to Peter Davison

6th- The Two Doctors. This is a weird story, lol, but a good one. A lot of the 6th doctor is kinda touch and go but this story really shows off Colin Bakers talents. Plus its a doctor timeline cross, gotta love those.

7th- Remembrance of the Daleks. This is a great story with my favourite companion, Ace. The Daleks are back in London and the Doc is there to take care of things. Sylvester Mccoy was a great Doctor, a lot of his stories are pretty ridiculous. This is definitely one of, if not the, best of the bunch.

8th- The Movie. It's all you've got to choose from really. There are comics and radio shows which i've read and listened to, but the movie was better then them. Not the best flick but if your're a true Whovian i think you gotta choke it down, lol.

Well, that's it. Feel free to say whatever you want. I'd love to chat with some fellow old Doctor series fans, and new folks who want to know more and see more. The show is great from the beginning to end, lets be honest. So I guess you could always just start at the beginning. But if you don't have the time for the almost 30 years worth of shows then I hope I have helped.

message 2: by Lynne (last edited Feb 07, 2014 12:38AM) (new)

Lynne Stringer When it comes to the first Doctor, my favourite is Dalek Invasion of Earth.

For the second Doctor, there aren't a lot of stories available now, but Tomb of the Cyberman was very good.

For the third Doctor I do like The Three Doctors, but also The Curse of Peladon, The Time Warrior and a few others.

For the fourth Doctor (my Doctor) I'm spoiled for choice, but if I had to pin one down, it would probably be The City of Death.

For the fifth Doctor I'd go for Caves of Androzani.

For the sixth Doctor I liked Mark of the Rani.

For the seventh Doctor I liked Remembrance of the Daleks best.

For the eighth, there isn't much of a choice. The TV movie wasn't that great, but I enjoyed the way Paul McGann played the Doctor.

That's me! :-)

message 3: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments yea those are all great choices. the third doctor is so hard to choose just one story, lol, but the time warrior and the curse of peladon are great ones. interesting choice for the sixth. mark of the rani, were you a big rani fan? i never quite clicked with her character. plus thats a mel episode isnt it? that exercise lovin carrot juice drinkin companion annoyed the heck out of me, lol

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
Ah the tip of the iceberg.

Other tops episodes:

Pryamids of Mars - Fun episode Hey it is also cool by new fan standards cause here is a guy in a fez, the Doctor doesn't wear it but still. I love the riddle that the Doctor has to answer correctly to save Sarah Jane

Day of the Daleks - Talk about your Timey-Wimey Stuff.

Genesis of the Daleks - Introduces Davros as the creator of the Daleks.

Heck almost any Dalek story (ALMOST NOT all)

Face of Evil - Intro of Leela, yep basically just eye candy for teenage boys. :D

Need I say Talons of Weng Chiang? - The Tom Baker Doctor dressed as Sherlock Holmes, Leela in a Victorian Dress and her hair done up all lady-like? OK so it is a bit of a "My Fair Lady" story, but still fun.

The Key to Time Stories (if viewed as a whole series, one or two of the stories are so-so.) Romana I joins The Doctor. I was more sweet on Mary Tamm as Romana than Lala Ward.

City of Death - More Timey Wimey Stuff. Look for John Cleese in a hilarious scene. Oh and Possible spoiler (view spoiler)

Also many of the stories that involve U.N.I.T. I would say most of the ones with Ace, but sadly there are many that are not great, but Ace is still one of my top five female companions.

If given enough rope I could rustle up more good'uns.

message 5: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer dave wrote: "yea those are all great choices. the third doctor is so hard to choose just one story, lol, but the time warrior and the curse of peladon are great ones. interesting choice for the sixth. mark of t..."

I thought Mark of the Rani worked well. It was interesting to view her scorn at the Doctor/Master battles. However, Time and the Rani didn't work at all.

message 6: by Lynne (last edited Feb 07, 2014 04:05PM) (new)

Lynne Stringer CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "Ah the tip of the iceberg.

Other tops episodes:

Pryamids of Mars - Fun episode Hey it is also cool by new fan standards cause here is a guy in a fez, the Doctor doesn't wear it but still. I love ..."

I'm not so sure about Day of the Daleks, but the rest of the ones you mentioned I love as well. Leela is also one of my favourite companions.

message 7: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments all of those episodes mentioned by kirk are indeed great ones. all the old dalek epidodes are indeed classic. every doctor has his run in with them and theyre all great fun to watch. and leela, oh how i love leela, lol. shes one of the reasone i loved the Sunmakers so much.

lynne i do agree with you, rani was better in mark then in time for sure. i keep wondering if they are going to bring her back like they did the master. somehow she survived the time wars and regenerated into a super hot badass to menace the doctor.

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer It would definitely be cool if they brought her back, although I think she does better if the Master is there as well. Although they'd have to find a way to do it without conflicting with things they've already established, since all Time Lords are supposed to be dead or trapped in with Gallifrey.

message 9: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments yea, well they managed to bring the master back all ready, but he was destroyed. that never seems to work with him though, lol. i definitely think i prefer the old master, creepy sleezy shakespearian guy with a shrink ray, mind control and a beard that makes you say this guy is pure evil.

Emelia{Get out. I need to go to my mind palace} {geronimo!} | 97 comments I really love the old episodes, even though they didn't have CGI or anything back then. But I think that that gave the allowance to develop a much better plot over many episodes :)

message 11: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer Yes, I really enjoyed Anthony Ainley's version of the Master.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
They always find a way to bring back the Master.

message 13: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer Yes, they do. Just like they always find a way to bring back the Daleks.

message 14: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments thats why i was thinking perhaps they will find a way to bring back rani, i dont even remember how she left the show to be honest. can anyone refresh my memory

message 15: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer I can't really remember how Time and the Rani ended.

message 16: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments time and the rani was her last appearance? perhaps ill have to dig through the archives and give it a rewatch, find out what happens to her. it has been a while since ive seen that one.

message 17: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer I just googled it and wikipedia says about the end of Time and the Rani:

The Rani manages to escape in her TARDIS; however, the Tetraps are also in there, and have her take them back to Tetrapyriarbus to help them with their larger tasks.

However, it also mentions that she was in Dimensions in Time, some audio stories and some books, so it probably depends on what you're taking as canon.

message 18: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments i have seen dimensions in time, i dont really think its part of the canon. it was pretty cheesy and part of some old crappy tv show. i do remember rani in though, she tried to give the doctor(s) some trouble but of course was foiled. it would be cool if they brought her back, she escaped the tetrapyriarbus some how.

message 19: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 35 comments Dimensions in Time was always intended to be tongue in cheek, and was part of the BBC's Children In Need charity telethon. The plot hinges around the Doctor landing in Albert Square which is where the soap opera East Enders is set. It's definitely non canon, just like the Curse of Fatal Death was only ever a bit of fun (that's the one where the Doctor regenerates several times starting as Rowan Atkinson via Richard E Grant, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant before ending up as Joanna Lumley).

message 20: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer Yeah, the Curse of Fatal Death was really funny!

message 21: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments i loved that one, rowan atkinson would possibly be my favourite doctor if that counted in the canon, lol

message 22: by Gateacre (new)

Gateacre | 13 comments The first episode I can rememebr anything of is "Invasion of the Dinsoaurs", so I'm pretty ancient. I think I've probably watched everything available with the exception of the 2 newly discovered serials.
My favourite Doctor is Tom Baker, with Davison and Hartnell next. I think the best period was probably the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Baker (the "gothic" period).
If I had to pick one (ot two!!) off each classic Doctor:
1st - Unearthly Child. Brilliant then and still is now.
2nd - The Moonbase. I know its bad really but this was my favourite Target when I was a kid and I just like it!
3rd - Inferno. Although the Silurians is great too. Green Death is a highlight as well.
4th - Too many. Pyramids, Ark in Space, Morbious. Actually, I think Keeper of Traken is a hidden gem.
5th - Androzani. The best single performance by any actor in the lead role, the best script, the sharpest direction........just a shame about the lack of cash when it comes to sets and monsters! Peter goes out in big, big style.
6th - Poor Colin. He didn't get the best wicket to play did he? Varos is the best of a bad bunch. Heresy as I declare the Rani to be rubbish.
7th - More heresy as the Rani continues to be rubbish. Like Dragonfire though, despite the weirdest cliffhanger in the series history.
Good chocies from other people above as well!

message 23: by Gateacre (new)

Gateacre | 13 comments dave wrote: "i loved that one, rowan atkinson would possibly be my favourite doctor if that counted in the canon, lol"

Actually, I've always thought he'd have been a good Doctor. Seriously.

message 24: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) | 40 comments i completely agree with you gateacre

message 25: by Gateacre (new)

Gateacre | 13 comments dave wrote: "i completely agree with you gateacre"

Thanks Dave, liked you're pick of the Sunmakers which isn't the best known but is a really sharp script from Holmes and has good performances from the main and guest casts.