Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bonnie Ferrante
This topic is about Bonnie Ferrante
Bulletin Board > Book cover feedback

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Which cover would make you pick up the book? I'd appreciate any feedback on which of my cover choices would work the best.

Facebook is Bonnie Ferrante - Author

Exact link is
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

message 2: by D.C. (last edited Feb 06, 2014 09:50PM) (new)

D.C. | 327 comments #2. I actually like #7 better in some ways, but it's less evocative. Maybe if you could combine them? #1 is downright creepy.

message 3: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments I like #3 and #5

message 4: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 429 comments I think you should put your ideas for what you want on your cover to a professional designer as there are some jarring graphic issues that can be solved quite quickly by a professional.

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Thanks, everyone.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments #4 and #7, although I'd like the background without the girl on the front, but thats just me.

message 7: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Justin wrote: "#4 and #7, although I'd like the background without the girl on the front, but thats just me."

I think that's a good suggestion. I'll play with that idea. Thanks.

message 8: by Haily (new)

Haily Claire (hailyhay) | 2 comments I think Justin's got the right idea. I like #5 the most, but I think if the face weren't floating around in the middle, I'd like #2.

message 9: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Thank you to everyone for all the feedback on my new cover. I've renamed the book since there are numerous "Water and Fire" and "Fire and Water" books. What do you think? This is my final? version.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...

message 10: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Link is temporarily unavailable... probably because it's set for friends to see and not public. :/

message 11: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Merikan I don't even know where to start. What is this cover supposed to convey?

message 13: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments OH! I love the new one! It's much better, more striking. I have to admit, I'm not too fond of drawings for covers, so now, without the face, it looks professional. :)

message 14: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) G.G. wrote: "OH! I love the new one! It's much better, more striking. I have to admit, I'm not too fond of drawings for covers, so now, without the face, it looks professional. :)"

Thank you. I'm planning on making the bottom the same on any subsequent books in the series (if readers like this one).

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina Shelley (reginas) | 135 comments Hm. Not seeing it. Might want to check your link.

message 16: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Sorry. Thanks for trying. This was the final choice. I really wanted to get the two different coloured eyes in but it made it goofy.Desiccate

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom (tom_shutt) | 87 comments Here's a short link straight to Bonnie's updated picture: http://on.fb.me/1mgnazI

Bonnie, do you have any sort of budget for a cover artist? I see you've kept with the water theme, but I don't get drawn in or know anything about the story based off this cover. "Desiccate" means to remove moisture from something, but the cover seems to contrast sharply with this.

One site in particular, Fiverr, can be very useful for those on a tight budget. I haven't used the services offered here (having chosen to hire an artist friend), but I have heard good things about them. Here is the search for e-book cover artists: http://bit.ly/1bRMxOw

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina Shelley (reginas) | 135 comments Here's my two cents, for whatever it's worth. Simple covers are far better than bad covers where someone tried to throw a bunch of amateurish stuff on there because they couldn't afford better. So this is fine.

Having said that, I would probably put the author's name in a simple font. I'm not in favor of two "novelty" fonts in the same design. Your gothic type font in the cover...while slightly hard to read...is okay, but I would choose a much simpler font for the author's name. Two novelty fonts tend to fight each other, unless one looks like a simpler version of the other.

message 19: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Hi Regina,

Here's the finished product after considering all the feedback. Thanks.

BonnieDesiccate