Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion

Should non-readers read the books before watching the movie?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristen I think a good trailer should raise interest and make people want to read the story. Clearly, by so many people asking for more information, it's done that, at least partially.

If people are non-readers, chances are there's not a whole lot that's going to make them pick up this one particular book.
And honestly, there's a bazillion places online to find summaries aside from the movie trailers.

So, I'm not really getting where your outrage(for lack of a better word) is coming from. Read it or don't. I don't think anyone is going to be 'forced' into it.

Tina J Actually, I don't think the Divergent trailer was that clear.
If I hadn't already read the book, I wouldn't have understood anything that was going on.
I even asked my husband if he understood it (he hasn't read the book) and he said, not really!

People shouldn't be 'forced' to read a book. But if they WANT to understand a movie better....reading really is the only way!

Erika For me, the trailer was awful, but I understand how they would want to cram as much action in it as they can to draw viewers in. Still, I think they could have done a better job at giving an overview of the story.

Anyhow, everyone has their own preference if they want to read the book before watching the movie, or even after. And it's not really nice for readers to nag at those who don't.

Personally, I've stopped reading books that I found lousy but translated to good movies so I just followed them on screen. And yeah, the movies satisfied me enough to not want to read the rest of the books. :)

Emmi Garcia yes, they should, I can already tell the movie is going to be way worse than the book, they're missing out main characters for goodness sake but you're right, they can't be made to if they don't want to. The movie should be clear to understand I just think they've changed it too much. But that's just my opinion.

message 5: by JO (new) - rated it 4 stars

JO Christina wrote: "I was going to leave my thoughts here, but there's too much to say I can't be able to type it all because I know I'll forget some stuff.

The reason why I asked this is because I noticed there was ..."

I would not waste my time reading the books. The first one was okay and the second less okay and the third was HORRIBLE, a total peice of trash and not because of the ending. The movie will likely be better than the books and there is no way they will be able to get everything from the books into the movie. And I agree with you the movie should stand on its own and one should not have to read the books to understand the movie. I think the trailer is not supposed to explain everything its just to supposed to be enough of a tease to get you in the theater. I read the books but I wont see the movie, I did not like the characters enough and I might be over the dystopian stories for a while.