Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Authors/Writers' Corner > Accepting my genre!!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by G.S. (new)

G.S. Carr (gscarr) | 41 comments So I published my first book in Sept of 2013. Tonight is the first time since then that I realized that I wasn't accepting the fact that my book was a interracial book (BW/WM) and my audience consists of people who read interracial romance. When I published my book I purposely didn't put people on my cover because the female would have to be a black woman. My thinking at the time was that I didn't want my book to be pigeon holed. I wanted people to pick it up and read it because it was a good story and not glance over it because of the color of the heroines skin. I am literally just now realizing how misguided that thought was. If they want to pass the book up then so be it. I am currently working on a series about three friends and I thought that that I would have one of them be white just to appeal to a broader audience. I don't need to worry about pleasing everyone. My audience are people who are looking to read interracial romance and those are the people I need to please. I have actually decided to have the cover redone on my first book. Has anyone else faced these thoughts or something similar?

message 2: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Apr 17, 2014 10:13AM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1211 comments I'm in the midst of fine-tuning my first novel, but have already been thinking of covers. I would love to have a couple on the the cover (BW/WM) but I'm just not thrilled with the choices out there. My heroine is dark-skinned with an afro and trying to find a model even close to that has been disappointing to say the least, so I think I'm going to go another route. I'm the type who would love to showcase my couple in color (no pun intended) because I think they're great, lol. Sure, I would love for a wide readership, but I'm also about a readership that is still vastly underrepresented in romance. And IR readers are incredibly loyal.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments I always pick my own cover images when I work with a cover designer. I used iStockphoto, Shutterstock, Mediabakery and Getty Images to look for the right pictures.

I *hate* tacky covers. I won't buy a book if the covers look stereotypical or tacky. The cover designer I work with is Arijana from Cover It! Designs and I usually send her benchmarks of what I like and dislike, so we know what to aim for. If I can't find the right image, I tell her what sort of woman I want on the cover.

So far, she has helped me with three covers, and she is working on he cover for the follow-up novel to Maybe Baby. But I think the most important thing is to take the time to find the right image. It might be a bit expensive, but you'll get what you want.

message 4: by G.S. (new)

G.S. Carr (gscarr) | 41 comments G.S. wrote: "So I published my first book in Sept of 2013. Tonight is the first time since then that I realized that I wasn't accepting the fact that my book was a interracial book (BW/WM) and my audience cons..."

You should check out www.goonwrite.com. James does some amazing work and he isn't that expensive. I am sure he can create something that you will love. I think you can def. find a good cover with your couple on it.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments I've used James at www.goonwrite.com too. He made the cover for Choose Me. It was one of his pre-made covers with slight alterations, and his prices are good.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1211 comments @G.S.

Thank you for the suggestion. Very nice covers and hopefully I'll find something close to what I'm looking for. I bookmarked the site.

message 7: by G.S. (new)

G.S. Carr (gscarr) | 41 comments TheFountainPenDiva wrote: "@G.S.

Thank you for the suggestion. Very nice covers and hopefully I'll find something close to what I'm looking for. I bookmarked the site."

No problem. And he does great custom work too for very cheap.