The Infinite Ink Secret Lair: For YA/NA Spec Fic Lovers discussion

General Discussion > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) | 18 comments Mod
Let's get to know each other - tell us who you are and what brings you to the group!

I'll start: I'm Zoe, and I'm the author of the Internal Defense series. I love to read and write YA - dystopian books are my favorite, but I love all kinds of speculative fiction, especially urban fantasy and near-future sci-fi. The best books, to me, are the ones that make you think and the ones that make you cry. I have a massive TBR pile that keeps growing no matter how many books I read, and my list of books I want to write is almost as long. I love to talk about books, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here :)

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiefrench) | 4 comments Mod
I'm Katie French, author of The Breeders series and other speculative fiction stories. I love books and other nerdy things. I was raised on Star Trek and have seen every episode of The Next Generation at least once. And I was addicted to X-Files and then LOST. Looking forward to discussing great books!

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Darcy (nciacchella) | 29 comments Mod
I'm Nicole, and Katie is my soulmate because I have also seen every Star Trek: The Next Generation, I still love Mulder, and LOST was my obsession for a long time.

Ahem.

I'll be hanging out here as "Elizabeth Darcy", but my real name is Nicole Ciacchella, and I'm the author of the YA/NA dystopian Contributor trilogy (as Nicole) and the YA/NA fantasy Fairytale Collection books (as Elizabeth). I also write contemporary women's fiction under yet another pen name, Anne Wentworth.

I devour books like I'm starving for literature, and I read across a wide variety of genres. Jane Austen is my all-time favorite author.

I'm also a dedicated gamer (RPGs and strategy are my favorite), and I adore serial dramas like Person of Interest, especially if they have a sci-fi edge.

As you can tell, I'm pretty much a textbook geek. ;)

message 4: by A.G. (new)

A.G. Henley | 12 comments Mod
I am A.G. Henley, author of the Brilliant Darkness series. I love writing, reading, and chatting about spec fic novels, especially if they are YA! Other than writing and reading, I love playing and watching soccer, skiing and snowboarding, hiking, and spending time with my family and friends (wine is a friend, right?) I spend a lot of time staring at various types of screens, but not the television type much.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Quinn (susan_kaye_quinn) | 1 comments Hey, I know a few of these ladies! *waves*

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Braden (brianbraden) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite, Katie! My name is Brian Braden, and I work with Katie French at Underground Book Reviews. My novel, BLACK SEA GODS, is a mythic/epic fantasy based on some familiar, and not so familiar, ancient legends. I read a wide cross-section and don't get too wrapped up in labels...good fiction is just good fiction.

message 7: by A.G. (new)

Hey Susan, good to virtually see you!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Hey Susan! Thanks for joining us. :)

Welcome to you as well, Brian. Good to have you both with us.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellywashington) | 3 comments Thanks for the invite! I'm Kelly Washington. I write Romance, Erotic Romance, M/M Romance, and, under the name Jean 8. Aeglothecca, I write SF/F Romance. I tend to write short fiction - short stories, and novellas. Thanks, and happy to meet all of you!

~ Kelly

Take Me Away To A Great Read (awaytogreatread) | 2 comments I'm Morgan, I am a book blogger and love reading. My identical twin sister and I both love reading and so decided to share that love with our blog. We were raised by a mom who loved to read and is a librarian. My mom loved Anne McCaffrey which gave me my fasination with dragons to this day. I love YA, NA, some contemporary romance, sci-fi, fantasy, and dystopian books. I guess I just love to read!

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellywashington) | 3 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I also write contemporary women's fiction under yet another pen name, Anne Wentworth."

Are you a fan of Jane Austen's Persuasion? Anne Elliot, by the end, is Anne Wentworth.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Kelly, I sure am! My Elizabeth Darcy pen name is a nod to Austen as well. :)

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Stine | 1 comments Hi, everyone, and thanks for inviting me, Katie.
I'm Catherine Stine and I write YA and NA (NA using the pen name Kitsy Clare).
My YA speculative novels are Ruby's Fire and Fireseed One.
My first NA romance novella, Model Position will be out on Feb 20 with Inkspell!
I am an active blogger and I often help get the word out about fellow authors books!

message 14: by Kea (new)

Kea Alwang (kea_alwang) | 13 comments Mod
Hi all,
I'm Kea Alwang, author of the YA fantasy series, Based on a Dream. Treehugger and Risktaker are the first two titles of what will be four. The series is about a bullied girl whose REM sleep is nothing like what most of us experience.
My reading obsessions are fantasy/scifi, dystopian, and contemporary fiction. But if I could read another novel by anyone, it would be from Barbara Kingsolver. I get lost in her words in a very good way!
Other than writing and reading, I immerse myself in many fandoms such as Star Wars, Trek, Supernatural, Harry Potter, Being Human, and more recently, Dr. Who. I'm also an Isshin-ryu karate instructor and live with my movie-obsessed husband, son, and daughter.

message 15: by Kea (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I still love Mulder, and LOST was my obsession for a long time. ..."

Ah! I still love Mulder, too. I still have a ratty X-files T-shirt I love to wear around the house. I lived for that show. EXCEPT for that inbred farm episode. *chills*

message 16: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa Williams | 5 comments Oh my word, the inbred farm episode STILL haunts me!!

But anyway! I'm Melyssa Williams, author of the Shadows trilogy for YAs. They are alternate history, I suppose you could say.

I love the classics, like Jane Eyre and Austen, and also the new classics, like Outlander. The 13th Tale is my favorite book of the last few years ... unless it's Peace Like A River. Or maybe The Tea Rose. Or possibly Odd Thomas. Could be dot dot dot.

I too, am close friends with wine, A.G. And Cheezits.

message 17: by A.G. (new)

Welcome, Melyssa! Are you, by chance, the same Melyssa Williams I chat with from time to time on my FB page? If so, double welcome! Your books look really intriguing - they're going into my TBR pile.

Oh, and you're right, the inbred farm episode was totally creepy.

message 18: by Jon (new)

Jon Silva | 2 comments Thanks for the invite and nice to meet y'all!

I'm Jon, author of a few books available on Amazon. I'm making it a point this year to read as many books by indie authors as I can. :-)

message 19: by Kea (new)

Melyssa wrote: "Oh my word, the inbred farm episode STILL haunts me!!"

Welcome Melyssa ... and YES! If I want to psyche myself out, I can still picture the mother being rolled out from under the bed. Ugh!!!!!!

message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Hoernig (fayth97) | 7 comments I'm Sherry, & I am an avid reader!! I look forward to getting to know each of you. Have a wonderful evening/day & Happy, reading, writing, blogging, & whatever else makes you well..HAPPY!! ;)

message 21: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa Williams | 5 comments A.G. wrote: "Welcome, Melyssa! Are you, by chance, the same Melyssa Williams I chat with from time to time on my FB page? If so, double welcome! Your books look really intriguing - they're going into my TBR pil..."

Yes. :) And yay, I hope you get to my books soon (I know how large those TBR piles can stack).

message 22: by Shelbi (new)

Shelbi Wescott | 7 comments Mod
Hello everyone!! I'm Shelbi Wescott, author of the Virulent Trilogy. I have two other books lined up for a 2014 release, too -- both thriller/sci-fi!

I am also a MASSIVE X-Files fan from back in the day. I had Scully and Mulder Barbie dolls that I just let my boys get out of the box and play with. I watch a lot of TV: BSG, Firefly, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Parks and Rec, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, True Detective...oh my goodness...so much TV.

I also teach and read a lot, too! But you know, I really like TV. And wine. :)

message 23: by Zoe (new)

I've just been rewatching Firefly, Shelbi :) One of my favorites.

message 24: by Kea (new)

Oh, how I miss BSG. Could so go for more of that!

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Welcome to our new members! Glad you've joined us!

I love Firefly too. And BSG. And Sherlock. Sherlock is SO good! The only bad thing about it is having to wait ages between seasons.

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellywashington) | 3 comments Elizabeth wrote: Sherlock is SO good! The only bad thing about it is having to wait ages between seasons.

I could not agree more, but then I think about how each episode is like a movie and I feel better about it. Benedict is amazing as Sherlock. I look forward to next season when Moriarty [apparently] comes back.

message 27: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Falls (skfalls) | 3 comments Mod
Hi everyone (and a special hi to one of my indie role models, Sue!)! :)

I'm Sandhya (San-dee-ya) and write under the name S.K. Falls. I've written dystopian and paranormal books so far.

I'm also a HUGE Sherlock fan, and can't wait for the next season to come to Netflix! I'm currently on a Supernatural and Parks and Rec binge, though. It helps me reboot between writing sessions. :)

message 28: by Kea (new)

S.K. wrote: "I'm als..."

Ah! There's nothing quite like a Supernatural binge!

message 29: by Eddie (new)

Eddie (ticklemeelmo) | 5 comments Hello my name is Eddie, and I have fallen into this rabbit hole of 'speculative' fiction'. and it has absolutely.. captivated me, enthralled me, and entertained me. I have never before sent 'thank you notes' to authors before, but to both Zoe and Katie I have. GOD the dark dismal anghst, and depravity is AMAZING. the books are VERY VERY refreshing, a blend of ya- dystopia, horror, NA themes... its as if... its 'ya dystopian' 2.0 for those who have outgrown the genre. I want to see what books you authors read.. I want to take a glimpse at what makes you tick.. what inspires you... so I can enjoy your books in a whole new light and context..

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (sabicas73) | 7 comments Hi everyone. Thanks for the invite Katie! I love to read and it is rare if you don't find me reading every free moment of my time. I love all of the shows you have mentioned and am excited to join!

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Welcome to all the new faces! It's so excited to watch this group grow. Gives me more chances to talk about my favorite things--books!

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather Burks (heatherburks) | 4 comments Hey I'm Heather! 23 & from Charlotte NC. Not a writer at all, a wedding photographer, but I do love to read!!

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Hi, Heather. I'm very glad you joined us! :)

message 34: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 1 comments Hi,

My name is Danielle Ackley-McPhail and I am all about speculative genres. Writing, reading, and watching.

My newest book, co-written with Day Al-Mohamed, is Baba Ali and the Clockwork Djinn my first attempt at writing a YA novel.

I still love many of the originals I read as a child, such as The Ghost Belonged to Me, A Wrinkle in Time, and anything by Susan Cooper.

Unless it is a cooking show, speculative viewing is about all I'll watch on TV.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Welcome aboard, Danielle!

message 36: by Zoe (new)

We have similar tastes, Danielle! Susan Cooper and Madeleine L'Engle were two of my favorite authors when I was younger. :)

message 37: by Koeur (new)

Koeur Hi,
My name is Koeur. Put a cigar in one hand and a good SciFi or Fantasy novel in the other, and I am complete.

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Welcome aboard, Koeur!

message 39: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Armstrong (Soccer_Girl_30) | 2 comments Hi, I am Chloe,
Give me some space and some time, and some books, and you may never hear from me again.

message 40: by Kea (new)

Welcome, Chloe! Love your name....so much so that it's the real name of the protagonist in my YA series.

message 41: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Armstrong (Soccer_Girl_30) | 2 comments Well, thank you!
I love my name too!
Chloe is a very old named derived from ancient Greece I think.
Chloe was the goddess of agriculture.

message 42: by Ash (new)

Ash Krafton (ash_krafton) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Ash, and I'm only running a year late to the party (all things considered, that's pretty good for me. :) )

I write speculative fictional Ash Krafton and A.J. Krafton. I've just released my first NA title, a Victorian dark fantasy called The Heartbeat Thief. Glad to see so many people here!

Happy reading, Ash

message 43: by Nick (new)

Nick Wilford (nickwilford) | 1 comments Another latecomer here. I'm Nick, and I've really got into YA over the last few years (although hardly qualify as a young adult at 34!) I'm an author and have met lots of fellow writers who have opened my eyes to the world of YA. I've always loved sci-fi and other spec fic. I'm currently working on a YA dystopian trilogy which I plan to begin releasing next year. Look forward to getting to know others here!