The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > March and April Group Reads are.....

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10089 comments Mod
Please read the rules for nominating BEFORE you create your post!! And check our bookshelves to be sure you are not nominating something we have already read as a group!

The categories for March and April are:

March - Books that take place in Ireland or are written by Irish authors

April - Books that contain a character that is a prankster/joker, books that are comical/humorous

If you nominate the book, and the book is chosen as a group read, you will be asked to lead the discussion! Don't worry, it's not hard, and we'll love you all the more for it!

Please do not nominate a book more than once. A book can only be voted on once, so multiple nominations within this thread are not counted.

Only ONE nomination per month per person.

Please be sure to post the title, author, and the month you are nominating it for.

Ideally, you can type it as follows -
August - Room - Emma Donoghue

If your post does not have those three things, it will not be counted.

Are you ready?

I will accept nominations through Monday. If we get tons of nominations, I may pull the plug on it a little early, so get them in as soon as you can!

Once I close nominations I will create the polls and let you know when it is time to vote!

Hit us with your best noms!

**Important note: At no time is it acceptable for an author to nominate one of his/her own books for the monthly group read. Likewise, it is not acceptable to "push" nominations or votes within this group. It also follows that "a nomination for a nomination" is not acceptable. If I suspect a push, or inappropriate actions have taken place within the group read nominations or votes, I reserve the right to deem those nominations or votes as ineligible.

message 2: by Dani (new)

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) (pluviophilewriter) | 237 comments In memory of the great Seamus Heaney, I nominate Death of a Naturalist for March.

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) (pluviophilewriter) | 237 comments For April, I nominate:

Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh by Allie Brosh.

message 4: by David (new)

David O'Neal | 89 comments April - Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris

message 5: by Bryn (last edited Feb 08, 2014 12:18AM) (new)

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

It appears interest in the monthly group reads for March and April is really lacking.

Since we only have two nominations for each month, I will leave the thread open to see if we can a couple more before the week is out.

If we don't get many more nominations, there will be no March or April group reads.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) MARCH - Light A Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy (Ireland)

APRIL - Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen (humorous)

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) By the way ... today is the first day I've seen this thread and I'm here every day, checking "new" posts. ...

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Strange, Book Concierge. This threads been running since 2/6. It's sad to see so little noms this time around...

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Newton (kathlikestolaugh) I nominate for March Ireland by Frank Delaney

message 11: by Sookie Cullen (new)

Sookie Cullen March - A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy
April - Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight

message 12: by Sandra (last edited Feb 13, 2014 08:11AM) (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 33 comments March - Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy.

April - I second Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight. Actually, I don't think this fits the April criteria, does it?

message 13: by Sandra (new)

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevraclar) | 6 comments March - The Ghosts of Belfast - Stuart Neville
April - God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut

message 16: by Xian Xian (new)

Xian Xian (xianxian) Maybe Alberto Manguel's novel "All Men Are Liars"?

message 18: by Sookie Cullen (new)

Sookie Cullen Sorry.. didn't read the rules for April.. so I will amend my nomination to : Where'd You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple..

message 19: by Sookie Cullen (new)

Sookie Cullen Ohh.. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen
for April looks great too Julie...

message 20: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 429 comments Funny in Farsi by firoozah Dumas for April

message 21: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Nominations are closed. Polls are open!

Come vote in the books you'd most like to read together for March and April here:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

message 22: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Voting has been closed and we have our winners for March and April!!!

March, we will be reading Ireland by Frank Delaney... and Kathy will be leading discussion

April, we will be reading Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened.. and Dani will be our discussion leader!

Happy reading everyone!

March's discussion folder will be opened on March 1st!

message 23: by MK (last edited Feb 26, 2014 08:03PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 43 comments Those BOTH look great! Looking forward to it edit: just ordered a used copy of Ireland, and put Hyperbole and a half on My shelf at the library. Will be a couple weeks for the Delaney novel to arrive, tho.

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz Brown | 7 comments i nominate trinty or redempetion by leon uris.

message 25: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I wish you could Liz, but if you read the title of the thread, and the last few posts here, you'd see nominations and voting are already over.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments Cory - the votes for the next two months have already been done