THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Social Media Book Promotion

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Does anyone belong to the Red Room? I've had a page there for several years, and although it's very attractive and has a lot of big-name writers on it, not much seems to happen.

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Here's my site on Red Rooms and you can click Home from there to check out the place:
http://redroom.com/member/marcy-a-she...

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments The site seems to be heavy on West Coast doings. It's focus from what I can see is mostly geared toward the writer than the average reader unlike Goodreads.

Still, the site looks very professionally done and any publicity they do with the writers is a plus in my book...

message 4: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments That is true, it's for writers not readers. And yet I have to say, there is more useful discussion about indie publishing on GR than anywhere else I've been. Anywhere.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments I take it you have not looked into "The abosulute write watercooler website?" Much more active and lots more knowledge than GR. Here is a link...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Oh boy! It's a whole new planet to explore. Thanks, Nick. 'Course, now you may not see me for awhile!

message 7: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Winn (goodreadscompswinn) | 7 comments I am writing my newest novel (#9) I am starting out on a cruise ship, do you feel you actually have to take a cruise to make the novel believable?

message 8: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments If it was me, I wouldn't know the first thing about how to describe the environment or what goes on there except what I've read in other people's books. I don't know how believable it would be, but it doesn't intrigue me in the least to write about it. I'd at least go hang out on a big cruise ship for a few hours, you know? You probably can do that; they must let people see what they're getting into before they sign on!

message 9: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 79 comments Thanks Nick - AWWC looks great. I've just registered.

message 10: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Nick wrote: "I take it you have not looked into "The abosulute write watercooler website?" Much more active and lots more knowledge than GR. Here is a link...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/"

I've been cruising around the site for about an hour. It is not very user friendly. I don't like the format at all.

message 11: by Marian (new)

Marian Schwartz | 243 comments One of the most useful websites for indie writers is kboards Writers' Cafe.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/boar...

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 347 comments Marcy wrote: "I've been cruising around the site for about an hour. It is not very user friendly. I don't like the format at all. ..."

I'm curious--what, specifically, about the format don't you like? They use a fairly standard template for discussion boards, as far as i know. I actually like their minimalist look.

message 13: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Maybe I just don't like the standard discussion format then. I like this one, Goodreads I mean. I find it hard there to know how to see topics and discussions that interest me, and when I do open one I get a message from 7 years ago, (I know, I probably can re-set that detail). I 'm finding it hard to explain without having it in front of me, maybe I'll take notes and be able to articulate after the next time I go on.

message 14: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (DMYates) Marcy wrote: "Maybe I just don't like the standard discussion format then. I like this one, Goodreads I mean. I find it hard there to know how to see topics and discussions that interest me, and when I do open o..."

Marcy, I'm with you. I belonged to another site similar to this one and it just was cumbersome for me. It looks like a lot of people like it though.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Marcy,

It really is amazing that you can self publish a book but not find your way around a site like the Absolute Write.

Some of those threads from 7 years ago are still relevant today and the fact that the site has been around that long should say something about its members and popularity.

But I will say this, to each their own...

message 16: by Max (new)

Max Swanson | 3 comments Nick wrote: "I take it you have not looked into "The abosulute write watercooler website?" Much more active and lots more knowledge than GR. Here is a link...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/"

message 17: by Max (new)

Max Swanson | 3 comments Thanks for this site, new for me. It's a whole new world since my previous book came out in 2007.

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Max,

Just read the newbee guide and pay attention to the tool bar. If you want to search some of the various forums, at the bottom of the page you will find a search index. Newest post will always be at the top of any forum. But if you want to see what's been posted new since your last visit, just hit the New Post button in the tool bar.

If lost, mods and members will be glad to answer questions and direct you in the right direction.

message 19: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (DMYates) Max wrote: "Nick wrote: "I take it you have not looked into "The abosulute write watercooler website?" Much more active and lots more knowledge than GR. Here is a link...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/""

I used to belong to absolute write. Did me no good at all. here's the best part. You can never, ever close your account.

message 20: by Max (new)

Max Swanson | 3 comments Nick, thanks, I'll try that site.

message 21: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 347 comments AWWC is the best resource I've found for many topics related to writing. It's not for everyone, I agree. It's definitely not a place to sell your books, although there is a specific forum to list them.

It helps to be active and participate in the discussions, although you can learn a lot just by lurking.

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Right you are Ken...

message 23: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Nick wrote: "Marcy,

It really is amazing that you can self publish a book but not find your way around a site like the Absolute Write.

I don't know. I paid someone to format my book for Smashwords, which is sort of a similar skill set! And iUniverse did pretty much everything for my book.