Thomas Jefferson Education a book a week for the next year discussion

Week 5

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alli (new)

Alli (alligaulin) | 7 comments I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. Since my last post I finished The Home Ranch (#3 of the Little Britches series) and Mary Emma & Company (#4). I may finish The Fields of Home tonight. (#5) So so good. I can not adequately explain how much this series has moved me.

I am also reading Undaunted Courage. This is not a bedtime read so it takes me longer to get through.

I am reading aloud Path to the Pacific to my children. This is such an excellent book that I very highly recommend for studying the Lewis and Clark expedition. Sacajewa's story could not be fiction as it would be too unbelievable. I love how the author tells the story honestly- without glamorizing her role, but also tells it as if it is a dramatic scene born from imagination rather than real life.

We finished Rooftoppers before we started Path to the Pacific. Not sure if I mentioned that last post.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara (homeschoolsara) I finished Peter Pan this past week. It was a delightful tale. I am eager to share it with my children but beyond that am content to say that I have read it, enjoyed it and am moving on.

A book club that many of us are in is doing quite a bit of reading this year starting in March. I am preparing my headspace by reading through a list of classics that have been gathering dust on my Compass. I am eager to some new treasures.

Presently, I am 35% done with Caddie Woodlawn. Being from Wisconsin and having already read Little House and Betsy-Tacy, this seemed requisite. To be frank, it is only a solid middling book for me. It is just not terribly compelling and there are so many others in that genre that are better. Looking forward to finishing it up so that I can give Laddie another crack.

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy Peterson | 4 comments I read North and South (swoon) and Austenland. For our read aloud we finished the Alliance and am reading the Hiding Place again for our Lemi Hero Project class.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stephen | 3 comments I finished Dumbing us down, and have started Gift from the sea. We finished The Magician's Nephew as a family. This will be our second time through the Chronicles of Narnia.

message 5: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle | 10 comments We finished Michael Vey 3: Battle of the Ampere as a family, and I read Tarzan of the Apes. (I was supposed to read Dumbing us Down and a couple others I have out from the library, but I got started and couldn't put it down. I may have been more willing to put it down if I remembered I couldn't stop there and had to read Return of Tarzan too. It would have been easier to put off reading it if I'd remembered I'd wind up reading 500-600 pages rather than just 200-300.)

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 12 comments This has been a very slow reading week for me :-(. Currently working on Advanced Axioms and procedures for me it had a 12 disk lecture series to get through before the book finished those just getting into the book Reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society for a book club. Just delightful a 2nd read for me. Finished dumbing us down last week, need to review notes and starting gifts from the sea. I love that book and keep saving it for a time I can just drink it in one gulp. Hasn't happened yet this week. Our family read is Laddie, also a repeat which we are LOVING Again! And we start a book on Ghandi this week in conjunction with a kids activity. Lastly background reading Diary of Anne Frank with my 12 year old. His request, we have a field trip coming up to Anne Frank museum and it is a couple of entries per day together feeling it this time. I've never read so slowly. Feeling blessed to have such riches before me.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 12 comments Christy wrote: "I read North and South (swoon) and Austenland. For our read aloud we finished the Alliance and am reading the Hiding Place again for our Lemi Hero Project class."

Which North and south. Considering the Gaskell version about England but I know there is a civil war one too. Looking for feed back on the Gaskell book

message 8: by Brittney (new)

Brittney Moon | 1 comments I read "dumbing us down" for the first time and loved it! It made me see and reflect on what it means to me and my children to grow up in a real community. Ever since I have been trying to find opportunities to build stronger bonds and help others do the same!

I am also about to finish Laddie. The first half of the book is really slow, but about halfway through I really started enjoying it. It has inspired me to work harder, be a better mother, and be better educated. The moral character of the characters is awesome. I hope all my boys grow up to be like Laddie. There really are so many characteristics of the characters that I want to emulate. One thing that has made it more meaningful for me is listing out each character and the values and morals they display throughout the book.

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 12 comments Nicely said :-) we are listwning to Laddie as a family and just loving Laddie and mrs Stanton. So clean so nice. Refreshing

message 10: by Christy (new)

Christy Peterson | 4 comments Hi Shannon, that would be Gaskill's North and South. It takes place in fictional English towns of the industrial Victorian Era. Pleasingly similar to Pride and Prejudice.

I started Full Moon Feast earlier this week, but haven't gotten very far as it was a busier than normal week.