Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracyk (new)

Tracyk | 110 comments Do you think publishers have any intention of getting all oldies onto Kindle. Especially the ones that were best-sellers.

There are still a lot of books i would love to read but really begrudge buying when i have a kindle.

message 2: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 112 comments I like to think so. I'm like you, I'm so addicted to the digital format. Plus, my house is small and the one bookcase I have couldn't hold another thing.

On older books that aren't on Kindle, I try and remember to click the option to tell the publisher you want to read it on Kindle. Not sure if it helps. Personally, I have a theory that if the book is out of print, It's okay (morally) to download it from scribd - I don't see how that's much different from buying a used copy from a third party. The author/publisher doesn't get $ either way. But, not 100% sure on all the legalities involved.

I did find a new website http://backlistebooks.com that seems to specialize in digitally reissued oldies. It seems many have changed the title or even the author name the reissues are released under, so it's a good source of info.

message 3: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (regansromance) Actually, the authors of those oldies, the ones who care, are trying to get their rights back to publish electronically. Many have because their contracts never gave the publishers electronic rights (it wasn't thought of then). When you see authors like Marsha Canham and Jennifer Blake publishing now, whether an old title or a new, it's because of that. It's not the publishers; it's the authors.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Regan, You are so knowledgable!

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
I wish someone, anyone, would go through the late 70s Leisure/Belmont/Tower backlist and get those digitized. They're hacky crap and I love them. :)

message 6: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 112 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I wish someone, anyone, would go through the late 70s Leisure/Belmont/Tower backlist and get those digitized. They're hacky crap and I love them. :)"

I've seen some of the 90s Leisure titles reissued, but haven't run across any of the true oldies yet.

message 7: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (regansromance) Andrea IS Catsos Person wrote: "Regan, You are so knowledgable!"

Thanks, Andrea! In answer to the others, if you have a favorite author whose books are out of print, try and contact her to encourage her to get her rights (it may only take a written request or a review of her contract) to publish them electronically. Then they have to be loaded onto Word but the rest is fairly easy. I can help them...

message 8: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 112 comments BTW: group member JennyG created 2 threads over at Amazon to track oldies published from 1970-1999 that are both free and cheap ($2 or less). I've gone on this OCD campaign of sniffing out all the oldies that have been re-issued/re-named/published under pseuds, etc. Many of those make it into those 2 lists. I'm also thinking of creating a new thread re: Re-issued oldies, regardless of price.

Anyhow, here's a link to both threads.

Cheap on Kindle = Romance Oldies from the 70s, 80s or 90s

Free on Kindle = Romance Oldies from the 70s, 80s or 90s

message 9: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (regansromance) KatieV wrote: "BTW: group member JennyG created 2 threads over at Amazon to track oldies published from 1970-1999 that are both free and cheap ($2 or less). I've gone on this OCD campaign of sniffing out all the..."

Katie, you are a peach to do this! Any chance of telling us when a book goes "Free" on Amazon? I note from the thread that they aren't always free for long.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Keep the faith, I just found about 10-15 books I owned from library sales/thrift store purchases that are now on digital format and available for library lending via Overdrive. Roberta Gellis, Victoria Holt (not all of 'em yet), Rosanne Bitner, Malcolm MacDonald's Stevenson series (I do love the older covers better). Several of Susan King's older romances (not sure if they're bodice rippers or not). Also spotted a couple of Laurie McBain, a Jan Cox Speas and a few Connie Mason. I'm really excited about the Holt and MacDonald finds, since the font size in the editions I owned have scared me off picking them up.

One thing I recently picked up on with Overdrive and what your individual library buys. Search for the title you want in your library's catalog. If they don't have it, click to search the rest of Overdrive's catalog and see if it's there, and if it is you can request it and put a hold if they (your library) does buy the title. Added bonus if they do - ending up in first position if they pick it up. I'm #1 out of 20 for the new Deanna Raybourne when it comes out.

message 11: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 112 comments Misfit, I've never heard of Overdrive. Will have to check that out. sounds promising.

Regan - some of the Kindle books are free for months and some are only up for a day. It's not always clear how long they will be free unless it's one of the countdown deals. I maintain a list of currently free oldies, that I had planned on posting daily, but have decided to post weekly since there is often very little change from day to day. Here's the list as of right now. These are not necessarily BRs, but they are all historical romances published before 2000. Hope you find something.

Bewitching Kisses (Bewitching Kisses Series) by Rainey Kirkland (orig. 1991 Zebra Heartfire)
The Stargazer: The Arboretti Family Saga - Book One by Michele Jaffe (1999)
Silken Dreams by Lisa Bingham (1991)
The Defiant Governess (Lessons in Love, Book 1) by Andrea Pickens (orig 1997 Signet Regency)
Caroline (The Beauvisage Novels, Book 1) by Cynthia Wright (1977)
Silver Storm (The Raveneau Novels, Book 1) by Cynthia Wright (1980)
Tennessee Waltz by Trana Mae Simmons (1997)
Calico by Raine Cantrell (1993)
The MacKinnon's Bride (The Highland Brides, Book 1) by Tanya Ann Crosby (1996)
Across A Moonlit Sea (Pirate Wolf series) by Marsha Cannam (1996)
Sea Scoundrel (Knave of Hearts) by Annette Blair (originally 'Lady Patience' in 1999)
Secrets of Midnight (The Man of My Dreams Series - Book One) by Miriam Minger (1995)
Wild Angel (The O'Byrne Brides Series - Book One) by Miriam Minger (1994)
The Wild One (The De Montforte Brothers) by Danelle Harmon (1997)
The Bad Luck Wedding Dress (The Bad Luck Wedding series) by Emily March and Geralyn Dawson (1996)
Follow the Heart by Anita Mills (1990)
Call Home the Heart by Shannon Farrell AKA Sorcha MacMurrough (1999) - historical, Ireland
The Scandalous Marriage (The Dukes and Desires Series, Vol. 7) by M. C. Beaton (Marion Chesney). Originally published 1991.
Beyond Forever by Debra Dier (1999) time travel romance, Scotland *per author note on Goodreads, this is a significant re-write
Oh, Cherry Ripe by Claudy Conn (orig titled 'Cherry Ripe' by Claudette Williams in 1988)
Lady Star by Claudy Conn (orig titled Regency Star by Claudette Williams in 1985)
* Claudy Conn re-issues are reportedly sexed-up version of the original sweet/innocent Regencies
Lady of the Gun by Faye Adams (1996) - western
Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel Book #1) by Judith Pella & Tracie Peterson (1997) - America, 1835, railroad stuff

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Misfit KatieV wrote: "Misfit, I've never heard of Overdrive. Will have to check that out. sounds promising.

Regan - some of the Kindle books are free for months and some are only up for a day. It's not always clear ..."

Overdrive is the digital catalog a lot of the libraries are using to choose their individual digital catalogs. I don't quite know how to explain it, since I don't understand the process 100%, but say your digital catalog might be different from my digital catalog even though both libraries get their books from Overdrive. When I go to the Overdrive site, it's though my library's website and I only see the catalog of books they've signed on for.

I hope that makes sense. It's Friday and I'm running out of steam :)

PS, listing the freebies on the Amazon thread is so helpful, thanks to all who hunt them down and post there.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Overdrive has a free app for Androids and (Apple) iThings. I love checking out and reading books from my library's overdrive eBook collection on my iPhone. Many titles are also compatible with Kindles but all are in ePub format.

Don't be put off by the size of the iPhone screen. The text size for the overdrive app is adjustable.

I'm addicted!

message 14: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (regansromance) Misfit wrote: "Keep the faith, I just found about 10-15 books I owned from library sales/thrift store purchases that are now on digital format and available for library lending via Overdrive. Roberta Gellis, Vict..."

Misfit, I checked these out on Amazon. There are a few I recognized and know to be good historical romance, but the reviews on many are not encouraging. I try to stay away from those. But I really appreciate knowing what's free, so thanks!

message 15: by Tracyk (new)

Tracyk | 110 comments KatieV wrote: "BTW: group member JennyG created 2 threads over at Amazon to track oldies published from 1970-1999 that are both free and cheap ($2 or less). I've gone on this OCD campaign of sniffing out all the..."

No good for me..... i need amazon.co.uk

message 16: by Tracyk (new)

Tracyk | 110 comments So it's actually down to authors to get older books onto ereaders - but they may have a battle on their hands with publishers?

One gripe i have.... there are 6 books in a Civil War series that i loved but only the 1st 5th & 6th in the series are available on kindle, WTH is going on there. I have clicked on the the link i would like to read this on kindle quite a few times over the past few months BUT to no avail & have emailed the author to no avail.... so bloody annoying!!!

message 17: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (regansromance) Tracyk wrote: "So it's actually down to authors to get older books onto ereaders - but they may have a battle on their hands with publishers?

One gripe i have.... there are 6 books in a Civil War series that i l..."

It could be the publisher, Tracyk. What is the series?

message 18: by Tracyk (new)

Tracyk | 110 comments Hi Regan it's Heather Graham's Civil War series about the McKenzie family. Starts of with Runaway followed by Captive, Rebel, Surrender, Glory & lastly Triumph.

message 19: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (regansromance) Tracyk wrote: "Hi Regan it's Heather Graham's Civil War series about the McKenzie family. Starts of with Runaway followed by Captive, Rebel, Surrender, Glory & lastly Triumph."

Tracey, I though it might be one of hers. You should also look at her 6-book Cameron Saga beginning with Sweet Savage Eden:

The Cameron Saga (told in two trilogies that should be read in order and take you from England to the New World and into the Civil War):

--The North American Women trilogy: (1989)

• Sweet Savage Eden
• A Pirate's Pleasure
• Love Not a Rebel

The Cameron Civil War trilogy:

• One Wore Blue
• And One Wore Gray
• And One Rode West

That series is one of my favorites. I also read and reviewed her Old Florida/McKenzie series:

Old Florida's McKenzies series:

• Runaway
• Captive
• Rebel
• Surrender
• Glory
• Triumph

I know Heather (she's been a guest on my Regan's Romance Reviews blog). I will ask her what the issue is. I suspect it's her publisher.

message 20: by Tracyk (new)

Tracyk | 110 comments Oh Thankyou Regan appreciate your help.... i've read all 3 sets.

message 21: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (regansromance) Tracyk wrote: "Oh Thankyou Regan appreciate your help.... i've read all 3 sets."

Yeah, me too. Have you read her Graham saga?

message 22: by Tracyk (new)

Tracyk | 110 comments Regan wrote: "Tracyk wrote: "Oh Thankyou Regan appreciate your help.... i've read all 3 sets."

Yeah, me too. Have you read her Graham saga?"

I don't thinks so.....what are they about?

message 23: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (regansromance) Tracyk wrote: "Regan wrote: "Tracyk wrote: "Oh Thankyou Regan appreciate your help.... i've read all 3 sets."

Yeah, me too. Have you read her Graham saga?"

I don't thinks so.....what are they about?"

Oh, Tracy, are you in for a treat. They are all Scottish:

Graham family (Scottish) Series:

• Come the Morning
• Conquer the Night
• Seize the dawn
• Knight Triumphant
• The Lion in Glory
• When We Touch
• The Queen’s Lady

message 24: by Tracyk (new)

Tracyk | 110 comments Regan yes i have read them......not sure on When We Touch & The Queen's Lady will have to check them two.. but i have defo read the others.

message 25: by Mermarie (last edited Apr 10, 2014 07:36AM) (new)

Mermarie | 956 comments Mod
Tracyk wrote: "Do you think publishers have any intention of getting all oldies onto Kindle. Especially the ones that were best-sellers.

There are still a lot of books i would love to read but really begrudge..."

Tracyk,

90% of my posts on BR Freebies for Kindle & Other Formats are oldschool. I don't post anything rarely passed the 2000s. I keep personal catalogs of the oldies (HF) releasing in digitized editions.

message 26: by Bozana (new)

Bozana (bozana7) I just found this the other day, Colleen Shannon's books being published again via Kindle, and Colleen Shannon has gotten her rights back and is able to do this. I'm keeping an eye out for two more of hers to come out soon. One of her books is a Bodice Ripper (Forced seduction) Surrender The Night https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

All her Kindle books can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Colleen-Shannon...

Enjoy!

message 27: by Marwajan (new)

Marwajan | 14 comments i think th person who scanned stormfire has done many ppl around th world a favor
it s kind of repulsive to find a scanned translation of an old english book and th original english version is dead except for some one penny used physical versions
i think many communities which speaks other languages scan and send old books to each other so sad for old good books to die wen th author isnt benefetting frm them

message 28: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 8 comments Are there any Virginia Henley fans around here? I love her Plantagenet series as well as her de Warren series. Have any of you read them?

message 29: by Tracyk (last edited Oct 24, 2014 06:13AM) (new)

Tracyk | 110 comments Hi Vanessa, i read a lot of her books a few years ago including The Plantagenet series. The last book of the series The Marriage Prize i actually cried like a baby when Simon from (The Dragon & The Jewel) was killed.

message 30: by Karla (new)

Marwajan wrote: "i think th person who scanned stormfire has done many ppl around th world a favor
it s kind of repulsive to find a scanned translation of an old english book and th original english version is dea..."

I don't know who took the scan and converted it to text and reformatted it and everything, but I did do the initial PDF scan and posted it online. Whoever it was who did the REAL work, I'm grateful for them. Monson wasn't benefitting at all. The only ones who were were the price gougers in the used book market. Creating an online demand might grease the skids for a reissue of her works in the future. We can only hope, right?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments There is also an ePub of Stormfire floating around as well.

message 32: by Mermarie (last edited Nov 11, 2014 06:36AM) (new)

If I need to convert .pdf formats into .epub or .mobi, I go here: http://ebook.online-convert.com - I've never found Calibre capable of it, perhaps it requires another plugin I've never seen before. Calibre is capable of converting everything else, though; even .html formats.
From that online e-book converted, for me, it generally keeps the text together, but doesn't seem to be anymore discrepancy ridden than normal novice proofreader jobs, I think.

message 33: by Karla (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "There is also an ePub of Stormfire floating around as well."

Yeah, I figure someone ran my PDF scan through OCR and was able to create a variety of formats from that. Since Stormfire, I've been able to do that myself with a few out of print books.

Yup, converting PDF into any other format in Calibre has never worked for me. It's a hot mess of huge fonts, overlapping lines, etc. I'm sure there's a magic formula in the settings, but I have yet to figure it out.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments The Stormfire ePub does have typos, but if someone really wants to read this book and not have to pay $50+ for a hard copy, I'm sure that the typos can be endured.

message 35: by Mermarie (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "The Stormfire ePub does have typos, but if someone really wants to read this book and not have to pay $50+ for a hard copy, I'm sure that the typos can be endured."

It goes without saying, you eventually learn to mentally translate them, I guess? I almost don't even get distracted by typos and symbol errors in the text anymore. XD I'm just having some difficulty with an older book that I have, and there are no apostrophes or anything & translated from Spanish. Now, that could be a challenge. :o It's one of Sarah's favorites, and a Gothic Bodice Ripper, so I don't want to miss anything, or lose atmosphere?

message 36: by Marwajan (new)

Marwajan | 14 comments but I did do the initial PDF scan and posted it online.
pleased to meet u karla stormfire is a masterpiece , i think it s kind a unique ,i wish there s a forum where ppl offer and request scans and translations they make instead of just waiting and using kindle service

message 37: by Marwajan (new)

Marwajan | 14 comments sorry th first line of my former post was ment as a quotation from karla post

message 38: by Karla (new)

Thanks, Marwajan. We readers try to help each other out. :)

message 39: by Deb (last edited Dec 28, 2014 07:21PM) (new)

Deb | 4 comments Tracyk wrote: "Do you think publishers have any intention of getting all oldies onto Kindle. Especially the ones that were best-sellers.

There are still a lot of books i would love to read but really begrudge..."

Hi, Tracyk...have you considered subscribing to Scribd.com? I have been a subscriber for just over a year and have truly enjoyed reading lots of hard to find books online...

message 40: by Deb (new)

Deb | 4 comments I am trying to remember an author I read back in the late 1980's early 1990's...the book I remember was set in New Orleans...the hero's family was old New Orleans...the heroine was the heiress to a plantation (I think)...it seems to have been more of an arraigned marriage...he had previously kept a mistress who was the widow of an older wealthy man but wanted to marry our hero. The mistress tried to break up the marriage by using her cousin or brother who was a painter to do a portrait of the heroine...but what he painted was an imagined nude with the heroine's face and either the mistress's body or an imagined body of the heroine...the painting was unveiled at a huge social event where the husband saw it and became enraged...his mother and sister find the wife and get her away and back home where the hero catches up and ends up forcing his wife who was in the early stages of pregnancy...she looses the baby and almost her life...before he realizes that they were set up by the ex-mistress who then is shunned by society. Does anyone know this author or book? I thought it might be Marianne Williamson, but am not able to locate under that name.

message 41: by Karla (new)

Parts of that sound familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

There's a Penelope Williamson and a Marianne Willman but at a glance I don't see anything in their works that fit your description either. I'll keep looking.

message 42: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 171 comments Deb wrote: "I am trying to remember an author I read back in the late 1980's early 1990's...the book I remember was set in New Orleans...the hero's family was old New Orleans...the heroine was the heiress to a..."

Deb, that is a book by Sandra Dubay By Love Beguiled.

Happy reading!

message 43: by Deb (new)

Deb | 4 comments JennyG wrote: "Deb wrote: "I am trying to remember an author I read back in the late 1980's early 1990's...the book I remember was set in New Orleans...the hero's family was old New Orleans...the heroine was the ..."

Jenny....thank you SOOOOO much...it has been driving me crazy trying to remember this author!

message 44: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 171 comments You are welcome. :) Enjoy and happy holidays!

message 45: by Deb (new)

Deb | 4 comments There is another book I've been thinking about...think it was from the 1980-90 time period. It is a modern romance...the main characters are the heroine who somehow inherits from a wealthy ranch landowner...when she arrives at the ranch she meets the son of the landowner and the hero who is also the son of the landowner, but who is illegitimate and whose mother was an Indian and therefore not accepted by the legal heirs. The heroine is attracted to the hero and is leary of the legal son. There is a scene where the legal son drugs the heroine with a native plant extract to try to get her to sign away her rights to the land (I think). Somehow the half Indian illegimate son spirits her away to prevent the other heirs from tricking her. I thought this book may have been written by Janet Dailey, but I haven't been about to locate. I remember the cover had lots of blues/turquoise/green. Does any of this sound familiar?