Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Adelaide Writers Week 1/3/14 to 6/3/14

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Feb 24, 2014 10:54PM) (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Attention my fellow Adelaidians. From the 1st to the 6th of March the Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden will be hosting this years Adelaide Writers Week. Authors including Margaret Drabble, Kimberley Freeman, Zoe Ferraris, David Malouf, Jenny Bornholdt, Eleanor Catton, Elizabeth Gilbert, Jung Chang, Richard Flanagan, Philipp Meyer , Louise Doughty, Hannah Kent, Alexis Wright, Chris Womersley, Steven Carroll, Roger McDonald, Alexander McCall Smith, David Vann, Clare Wright, Cory Taylor, Christos Tsiolkas, Michelle de Kretser and a number of other local and international authors will be appearing. You can also buy book from the book tent and Saturday the 2nd is kids day.

The official program is available from Dymocks for 10 bucks. Inside you will find who is appearing on what day and time. Information can also be found here http://www.adelaidefestival.com.au/20...

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70431 comments Mod
Great post Michael! Thanks:)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) I just checked the program and i will go on four of the days. Saturday to see Elanor Catton, Sunday richard Flanagan and Philipp Myer, Monday Hannah Kent, Wednesday Cory Taylor and Christos Tsiolkas and Thursday Michelle de Kretser. If anyone else is heading in on them days give me a hoy as i would love to meet fellow Adelaidians who are members here. :)

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oi Michael, linking authors;)

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) I did that above Brenda. :D

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

OK then!! lol

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Just edited my first post as sadly Philipp Meyer has announced he wont be appearing. :(

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) I know i asked before but will anyone here in Adelaide be attending? If so msg me as i would love to meet the odd Aussie Readers member. It start's on Saturday so not long to go. :)

message 9: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Michael wrote: "I know i asked before but will anyone here in Adelaide be attending? If so msg me as i would love to meet the odd Aussie Readers member. It start's on Saturday so not long to go. :)"

is that only odd Aussie readers - or you would like to talk to any Aussie readers member - LOL!!!

Sorry won't be there - I did the Melbourne one once years ago - and was fun. I always look at where i am travelling to to see if there is anything bookie going on but haven't been lucky so far.

message 10: by Michael (last edited Mar 01, 2014 12:36AM) (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Hey everyone, was at the opening day of the festival and had a great time. Seen Eleanor Catton discussing her book The Luminaries wich was facinating. She talked about why the book was as long as it was, the connections with the astrology menchined in the book and also about how she researched with strong influences from 19th century lierature. Got my copy of her book signed and had a little chat with Eleanor wich was wonderful as she is such a lovely person. Also seen the announcement of the 2014 Aelaide Festival Awards For Literature winners.

Eleanor Catton in conversation with Stephen Romei

Signing her book.

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Wow, well done Michael. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, and great to talk to the author as well as getting your book signed!

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Sure was Brenda. It so wonderful when you get to meet your favorite authors and spend a bit of time with them. :)

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It is that's for sure!

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Oh i forgot to menchin i also bought Eleanor's first book The Rehearsal and My Beautiful Enemy by Cory Taylor who will be appearing on Wednesday. :)

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh nice! Well done:)

message 16: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Thanks for sharing the pictures Michael - looks like a nice setting, so glad it wasn't raining :)

message 17: by Michael (last edited Mar 02, 2014 02:30AM) (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Today at the festival i seen host Julianne Schultz join New Zealander's Lloyd Jones, Eleanor Catton and Gregory O'Brien in a discussion about everything Kiwi as part of the 43rd edition of the Griffith Review. They discussed everything concerning our neighbour from over the ditch including modern day quakes, the falling behind of many Maori children with there education and the great migrations that take place in the Pacific. Also seen Kate Richards who was talking with esteemed psychiatrist Jon Jureidini about her battle with depression and acute psychosis. Kate was very honest about her experience and even surprised me when she said she missed the manic moments that came along with her illness.

Lloyd Jones, Elanor Catton, Gregory O'Brien and Julianne Schultz in conversation.

Kate Richards in discussion with Jon Jureidini.

message 18: by Michael (last edited Mar 03, 2014 02:15AM) (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) More photo's from today's session at Writers Festival.

Louise Doughty on stage dicussing her latest book Apple Tree Yard

Elizabeth Gilbert and Hannah Kent in conversations about there books The Signature of All Things and Burial Rites.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson)

Christos Tsiolkas discussing his latest book Barracuda. The lady in the black shirt was interpreting what was being spoken in sign language.

message 20: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments Looks terrific Michael. Its always such a nice atmosphere there. Unfortunately I didn't get to go this year, but I spent a lot of time there last year for my year 12 research project. I'd like to go leisurely next year.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) There is always next year Jess. There was so many great authors there. I ended up going four out of the five days it was on as there was so many writers i wanted to see. :)

message 22: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 So you'll be taking rec leave this time next year? :)

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Take it the same time every year Sally. Then i have excuse not to go to the festival and the Fringe festival and plenty of movies. :D