Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Alice Walker featured in TV documentary

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic My publisher e-mailed this AP wire to me. It may be of interest to some group members.

Thursday, Feb. 6, 3:17 p.m. UTC

New York (AP) - Alice Walker, who turns 70 later this month, is thinking about her legacy.

Over the past few years, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author has donated her papers to Emory University, permitted "The Color Purple" to be released as an e-book, and reached a deal with Simon & Schuster to publish excerpts from journals she has kept for decades. Walker also participated in the documentary "Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth", scheduled to air Friday night on PBS stations as part of the "American Masters" series.

Walker has written more than 20 books, including poetry, essays, short stories and the novels "The Third Life of Grange Copeland", inspired in part by the lives of her parents, and "Meridian", based on Walker's years in the civil rights movement. But she's best known for "The Color Purple", a 1982 novel for which she drew upon family stories to tell of a young girl in rural Georgia and her struggle for independence after being raped by her father and beaten by her husband. The book and film adaptation, which came out three years later, led to such harsh and prolonged protests about the portrayal of black men that Walker later wrote a book about it.

Associated Press

message 2: by Dionne (new)

Dionne Dussard | 8 comments That sounds amazing I love Alice Walker its a shame I live in the UK.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marie Gabriel (lisamariegabriel) | 48 comments Me too.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 12 comments Dionne wrote: "That sounds amazing I love Alice Walker its a shame I live in the UK."

PBS America is available on Sky and Virgin Media. I've had a search through the schedule and can't see this show listed yet, but it should air at some point as other entries in the American Masters series have been shown.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread