The Next Best Book Club discussion

Non-Book Related Banter > Whatcha Doin'?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 304 (304 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I don't know about anyone else but when I'm on the internet I do a few things at a time. For instance, right now I'm watching The Color Purple and rolling cigarettes.

So! Let me know what your doin'!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) :(

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm chatting with a friend on skype--I haven't talked to my brother in like a month (he is Namibia, and contact is already an issue) and we have been meaning to talk, but he isn't on :( I'm also trying to watch Scrubs but the link isn't working :(

message 4: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I am watching my boyfriend and my roommate play X-Box, but I'm also trying to read a few pages of CoMC.

message 5: by Diane (last edited Jul 06, 2009 10:44PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Ha!! Now that I am in my 50's I don't multi-task very well so if I'm here chatting with all of you, that's it for me :)!!

message 6: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments I'm wondering why the hell did I wake up at 4 am?

message 7: by Lu (new)

Lu | 37 comments Lisa Julianna wrote: "I'm wondering why the hell did I wake up at 4 am?"

Me, too. However, I have 3 Persian cats and one likes to 'shake me up' by scratching on my bedroom chair. I jolt awake ready for action to go after her, look at my clock, and know that I will never go back to sleep. I make quilts so I can cover my furniture before I head upstairs to sleep

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) One of my cats likes to come to bed with me but always wants to go out when I turn the light out. Ok, but then if I go to the bathroom in the night she slips back into the bedroom and within a short while of me settling down, she will be scratching something and making noise. If that doesn't get me up to open the door, then she will repeatedly run her big fat body across me. She's very demanding.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) One of the great things about GR is you CAN wake up at 4 and sign on and always find something to converse about.

message 10: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I am at work trying to do as much non-work as possible.

message 11: by Lu (new)

Lu | 37 comments Petra X wrote: "One of my cats likes to come to bed with me but always wants to go out when I turn the light out. Ok, but then if I go to the bathroom in the night she slips back into the bedroom and within a shor..."

Yes. However, they are cuddles of love--too cute.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Justine wrote: "I am at work trying to do as much non-work as possible. "

Hey so am I! :D

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Í´m trying to work, really! lol
But my boss isn´t here and I need him.... So... just fighting with this horrible pc.

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (seolmara) | 28 comments umm, "work"....actually sitting in my office, exploring GR...don't tell the boss!

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) haha oh my, our bosses are lost

message 16: by Joseph (last edited Jul 08, 2009 11:15AM) (new)

Joseph (jazzman) I'm thinking fondly of the too brief vacation/work trip out West that ended much too suddenly last night. I can see why so many love it out there. As a writer, I found mysely especially moved by the praries of South Dakota and Wyoming. I loved the silence and the vastness of it;even the lonliness. There is still something big going on there.If you listen,you can hear it on the wind. Pioneers and Native Americans in a clash of cultures that would eventually destroy the one and make the victor poorer.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Knitting.

Earlier I was watching the Tour de France.

Also, keeping an ear out for my mother, as she was stung by yellow jackets this morning, and is not a happy camper.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) What is a yellow jacket?

message 19: by Areana (new)

Areana (luverbook) | 46 comments It's like a bee thing and it also stings.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Sitting at the couch, "watching" Kate & Leopold at HBO and getting ready for lunch!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Petra X wrote: "What is a yellow jacket?"

They are like bees, but mean little bastards. They attack in packs, too.

Once again, watching the Tour de France.

message 22: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments Working and waiting for 5:00 :)

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments Petra X wrote: "What is a yellow jacket?"

This reminds me of a time when we had our kids and were on vacation. We stopped at a place where there was a kiva and looking down I saw a yellow jacket. I mentioned it and my older son (who was about 4 at the time) kept leaning over the edge trying to see the "Yellow Jacket". He couldn't figure it out. LOL

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments We are getting ready to go to Denver to a racer's bbq. We go every year just before the Mile High Races. The guy's house where it is lives in a cul de sac and he has vintage cars all around and he also has a very nice museum in his basement (yes he's divorced)! LOL It really is impressive even to me.

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz Joseph wrote: "I'm thinking fondly of the too brief vacation/work trip out West that ended much too suddenly last night. I can see why so many love it out there. As a writer, I found mysely especially moved by ..."
Joseph, that is really funny, because you have listed the two states which house the two national parks which I have worked in--Grand Teton and Wind Cave. Also, judging from your post, you may enjoy a book called Last Stand about the American bison dying out as people began to settle west.

message 26: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jazzman) Thanks ,Liz.and good luck to another English major. We make great lawyers, journalists,writer's and just about everything else.I am just starting Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher.
I'm a pretty literary guy, but this one was recommended by a great guide out West.
BTW, I loved the Grand Tetons.

Feelfree to check out my books. Nature has always played a very important part in my writing.Do you know what a mayfly is? I wrote a love story about them called (oddly enough)"Mayflies. It is the only story that appears in my two short story collections.
I think the young and the young at heart are usually moved by it. I know I still am.
Best.

message 27: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) Oh, Joseph, isn't Wyoming majestic? As we were driving across the state, I kept shouting at my husband, "Pull over! I have to get a photo of this!" Living all my life on the east coast, I never saw anything like that in person before. I would love to live there, but I don't think I could survive the winters. I'm a bit worried about the politics as well, but I think I could put up with living in a red state as long as I could gaze at that scenery. If it weren't for the winters, I'd move to Cody or Cheyenne in a minute.

message 28: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jazzman) I was so moved by my visit out West, I'll be returning every year to check out the rest of it. As a longtime outdoorsman, I can't wait until I can wet my waders(that doesn't sound right) in a lovely fast moving trout stream.
I'm considering staying out West for a month or so each year.I'd like to find a place with a temperate climate ,plenty of trout water,and easy access to an fairly major airport. Does such a place exist? If not ,I think I'd be willing to settle for a frigid winter,a burning summer desert full of rattlers, and an airport a thousand miles away. The west is that beautiful!

P.S took nearly 500 pictures in 10 days. Now I have to really learn how to use my new digital SLR camera.

message 29: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 170 comments Thank you for the good words about the west. I was born and raised on CA coast and never get tired of it!

message 30: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I'm watching a tape I made when I was 18 of a Scooby Doo marathon. I cannot believe the tape still works. the sound is a little iffy though. It was made 10 years ago and has been watched a LOT!

message 31: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 170 comments I'm sitting in a hotel room in Lincoln, CA catching up on chicks on lit and goodreads and getting ready to read while my husband is at a business meeting. I was also thrilled to discover that I can once again read in the car without getting ill so I can read while we're going by less interesting parts of the landscape.

message 32: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
Im just done cleaning up after dinner, spagetti and homemade garlic bread, tho I have a headache so wasnt feeling well enough to eat much.

Im also worrying about the wisdom teeth I will have to have pulled sometime soon. The oral surgeon is out on vacation till the end of the month, I have to call tomorrow to set up an appt.

GULP

message 33: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments
Im also worrying about the wisdom teeth I will have to ...

Lori, I put having mine off forever. When I finally had them done (all at once), it wasn't that bad. Keep ice on them like you're supposed to and you'll be good as new in a few days.

message 34: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lori ~ I second Paula's sentiment. I had my wisdom teeth pulled many years ago (two on one day, the other two on a different day). That laughing gas stuff is *awesome* - the dentist could've pulled all of my teeth and I wouldn't have cared. :-) Hang in there!

message 35: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Thanks for the support. Im just worried about the pain afterwards.... I like my teeth. I want them to stay in my head, where they belong :)

message 36: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments Sorry Lori! That's no fun. I second the ice recommendation. That's what really helped me through. If I remember correctly, I lived on Jello Pudding for 2 weeks. Your Hubby and the kids will just have to be extra nice to you :)

message 37: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Oh boy, then I am in for it! My hubby is a big ole baby whenever he is hurting, but for me... he tells me to Suck It Up... Ha!

message 38: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments Lori wrote: "Oh boy, then I am in for it! My hubby is a big ole baby whenever he is hurting, but for me... he tells me to Suck It Up... Ha!

That's typical! LOL

message 39: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments Lori wrote: "Thanks for the support. Im just worried about the pain afterwards.... I like my teeth. I want them to stay in my head, where they belong :)

I didn't even take the pain killers they gave me, I had taken one and didn't like the way it made me feel so didn't take anymore and didn't really need them. Hopefully it will be that way for you too. I had stitches too.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I had all four out at once. The extraction/recovery was not nearly as bad as what the teeth got up to when they were trying to come in.

Laughing gas is great stuff; I think I'm one of the few patients at my dentist's who still uses it, though. Novocaine doesn't work so well with me, but laughing gas works brilliantly on yours truly.

I recommend milkshakes for afterwards.

message 41: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yummy, I can certainly handle milkshakes :)

message 42: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Susanna wrote: "I had all four out at once. The extraction/recovery was not nearly as bad as what the teeth got up to when they were trying to come in.

Laughing gas is great stuff; I think I'm one of the few pat..."

That's funny, I'm the opposite. They gave me laughing gas and I didn't feel a thing. They ended up having to use Novocaine anyway.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Yeah, I'm starting to think maybe I'm wired a little funny. Neither Novocaine or Tylenol do very much for me.

message 44: by Liz (new)

Liz My brother had his done not this past fall but the one before (I think) and apparently as a result of the laughing gas he was sitting in the chair afterwards, laughing as he said, "Bring on the salt water taffy!"

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Right now, addressing a cat asking "Whatcha doin', Mommy? Can I help?"

message 46: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I'm in the wisdom teeth boat as well. I have my consultation on Monday and surgery scheduled for the 31st. I feel like this is ridiculous for the amount of pain I've been in since the 2nd. I'm hoping that they will see this is an EMERGENCY SITUATION at the consultation and move the surgery forward - but at the same time I am terrified of the dentist and all dental related things and would like to postpone going for as long as possible.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) I have to get ready for Ladies Who Lunch Friday. Its probably only going to be my friend and myself today, but that will be even more fun. No dieting either.

message 48: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 170 comments I had all four out at once with just a Valium and some Novocain. It wasn't so bad and the pain only lasted for about a week. Good luck, Justine, I hope they pull the teeth sooner than later, too.

message 49: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Justine, Sounds like you are worse off than I am. I have this one sucker been trying to come in for two months, finally broke through a teeny tiny bit, and the whole gum and inner cheek is swollen and sensitive and everytime I eat or bite down, I bite the gum and cheek... so that is actually MORE painful than the darn tooth.

My consult is Tuesday, and they are going to try to get me in before the end of the month... Im not looking forward to the surgery, but I am looking forward to being able to eat normal again, and chew gum :)

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily Lori -
The same thing happened with one of my wisdom teeth after my dentist told me that I would never have to worry about them. I had them all removed at the same time (with the pleasures of the gas). It was so much more painful and swollen when the tooth was coming in in the first place that afterwards was a breeze!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7