Sirens and Mermaids discussion

What makes a Mermaid book a Mermaid book?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Whicker | 1 comments Mod
Basically, does a mermaid have to be something with a tail? Would Kevin Costner on Waterworld qualify as a mermaid since he's got gills?

message 2: by R.M. (new)

R.M. Gilmore (rmgilmore) | 1 comments I'd say no on the Cosnter front. A tail makes a mermaid, I think. Not sure, now I'm going to look it up.

message 3: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabbilupe2012) I think what makes a mermaid a mermaid is half human and half fish and the magical powers they have one exception to the rule i think of with not having a tale would be Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks

message 4: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabbilupe2012) Amy wrote: "Hmmmm . . . I think a mermaid should have a tail, or any alteration thereof. Perhaps the reader would feel cheated if they thought they were going to read a mermaid book by description, and it turn..."

I agree in a since a lot of stories i read for the "visuals" like these two they are mostly opposite in the visual aspect but both good i think Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks Lost Voices (Lost Voices, #1) by Sarah Porter

message 5: by Tobie (new)

Tobie Easton (tobieeaston) Hi! Just joined :) I'm going to agree--if I'm picking up a mermaid book, I want to see a tail and hopefully some magic. I guess technically a siren book could feature bird creatures based on Greek mythology, but that wouldn't be what I was looking for. I want a beautiful, enchanting mermaid with a tail.

message 6: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabbilupe2012) tobie I have to say the magic and a beautiful over the top beautiful tail would make for a great story