Don't Say That discussion

34 views
Talk About It > Racism

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nephilim (new)

Nephilim | 187 comments The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.


message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Question for y'all: how do you feel about affirmative action?


message 3: by Mira (new)

Mira Meteo (mira278) Miss…Waitwhat? [Taylor] wrote: "Question for y'all: how do you feel about affirmative action?"

I personally believe it's fine. With all the racism that is still prevalent today, if it weren't for that, there's no way to make sure people won't discriminate against people of colour. Is it unfair? Maybe. But POC at least deserve that after everything the white race has put them through.


message 4: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Wait, what? I don't know what affirmative action is... I'm young, okay XP and maybe im not reading this right but what do you mean, Touko, they deserve that after everything the white race has put them through? O_o


I just think it's really stupid when people blame white people of today, for slavery and such. Yes, they can recognize it. But... seriously?


message 5: by Mira (new)

Mira Meteo (mira278) Kay [Barbie doll] wrote: "Wait, what? I don't know what affirmative action is... I'm young, okay XP and maybe im not reading this right but what do you mean, Touko, they deserve that after everything the white race has put ..."

Affirmative actions is when accepting students in college or hiring people, you need to fill a certain quota of POC so that there's less discrimination in the hiring/acceptance rates.

And yes seriously. The civil rights movement wasn't that long ago. People alive back then are still alive today, so to try to erase the past because it "was so long ago" is incredibly wrong. And racism is still very prevalent in society, so it's not slavery, but white people continue to oppress people of colour.


message 6: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments No, don't erase the past. But I'm saying blaming young people that were not even born then because of it- that's wrong. I'm irish, and Irish people faced a LOT of discrimination. So did Catholics- but I don't blame anyone for that.


message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Nah, that's stupid.

Guess what? I'm 18 years old. My parents weren't even alive during the civil rights movement. So why, then, should I have to deal with the extra level of competition that race brings in with college admissions? I'm lucky to have been accepted to my first-choice college, but it pisses me off that minority people who didn't work as hard as I did got into the same school.

It's honestly like rewarding them for their skin color. Sounds a hell of a lot like what we did 50 years ago -- giving people privileges for being white. The only difference is the skin color.


message 8: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Miss…Waitwhat? [Taylor] wrote: "Nah, that's stupid.

Guess what? I'm 18 years old. My parents weren't even alive during the civil rights movement. So why, then, should I have to deal with the extra level of competition that race..."

Yepppp.


message 9: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments It shouldn't matter in the first place, if it was equal. They should just look at your achievements academically and other stuff... not your race.


message 10: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) i think racism is ridiculous. i mean; we're all human! heck, we're all living creatures! everyone should be treated as equal, no matter their accent, skin colour, etc..,


message 11: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @Kay

Precisely. I really don't think minorities want equality -- they just use their minority status as an excuse and leverage to bitch their way into special privileges.


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you think everybody tries to use certain aspects of themselves to cheat in life?


message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Oh, yeah. The difference is that the law ALLOWS minorities to do it.


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

And tell me these laws please.


message 15: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Affirmative action. That's what it's call.


message 16: by Taylor (new)

Taylor *called.


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Anything else dear? Besides affirmative action.


message 18: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Well, affirmative action is the blanket term for any law that favors minorities, so.


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Blankets aren't the stitiches.


message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor What the fuck is that supposed to mean? That's like saying the articles of the Constitution aren't the goddamn Constitution,

Can you give me an argument that isn't full of fallacies?


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes I could but it be entirely in vain wouldn't it?


message 22: by Taylor (new)

Taylor No. I'm extremely malleable when it comes to changing my beliefs. If you can actually give me a decent argument, I might change my perspective. But, as a current college student and a member of the workforce, I'm pretty sure I've got a bit more experience seeing the negative side of affirmative action than you do, Maybe when you're older, bud.


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Extremely malleable is something you are not, at least from what you've showed showed us and tell us mate what your experiences are.


message 24: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Look, here is the thing. I logically compare an argument for something to my own perspective. If it makes more sense than my own perspective, I adopt it into my own schema.

That being said, I have not heard a good argument that justifies affirmative action. All that garbage about how we need to make up for the shit our grandparents did is pathetic. (My grandparents didn't even do anything to the minorities…they immigrated from Sweden in the 70s.) So why should I have to take the punishment for the racism of others' ancestors?

Some bring up the current situation with minority individuals not getting a good enough education. So why not give them a better one instead of giving them money for an education they didn't earn the same way white people do? For that, I propose that, instead of giving scholarship money to people for having darker skin, we use that money to improve elementary education.

"Oh, that costs too much money," some say.

That's what's funny about the whole thing. It's typically liberals who support affirmative action and tell me that fixing up the education system costs too much money. And yet, they have no problem spending money in every other thing possible. And if pro-AA people are so hellbent on shooting for equality in everything, then why won't they put money where it's gonna help with equality?

That is why I don't typically change my mind on things like this. Because all of the arguments are faulty and riddled with contradiction.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I might be the only one however I think racist jokes are actually quite funny, me and all my friends (my group is quite multicultural) can all enjoy variety of jokes together. I find the ones about my own race particulary hilarious. What are your opinions on racist jokes?


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

No joke can be funny truly without offending someone.


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Thats very true, I have never laughed at those cartoon segments in the newspapers, because they dont offend anyone.


message 28: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 186 comments Is it racist when we account being black as an asset of, for example, a sportsperson.

ie: Didier Drogba; Ashely Cole; Usain Bolt; Various Basketballers...


message 29: by Khalif (new)

Khalif it depends on how you say it. although it's true that evolution has given certain races different physical characteristics which give either an advantage or a disadvantage at certain sports, one shouldn't say "Asians are short, and so they aren't good at basketball." It just depends how you say it.


message 30: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 186 comments Vis a vis the Asian thing, the people I see play b-ball at my school would instantaneously disprove that statement...


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay can I say how I hate when people blame white people on a lot of problems? It's so freaking annoying, like I'm white (partly Albanian and Macedonian and tiny bit Greek) and my family is white and I know a lot of people who are white and they don't cause problems. I hate when white people become the scapegoat for everything. It really pisses me off. Why is it that people push the blame on white people? "Oh it's those white guys, they caused this" "oh society favors white people" "white people control the government". Same things over and over, ugh I hate it. I hate it when people look at me like I'm supposed to be rich or something. Also, when people call me "that white girl". I know I'm white but seriously I have a name.


message 32: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Avalon wrote: "Okay can I say how I hate when people blame white people on a lot of problems? It's so freaking annoying, like I'm white (partly Albanian and Macedonian and tiny bit Greek) and my family is white a..."

IKR racism targeting white people happen. It's not just other ethnic groups. And in history class... I like learning about the past so mistakes don't happen again. But when teachers stress over and over again "the white people caused this. And that. And everything!" It gets annoying.


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I hate it when my class looks at me like I was the one who started the problem because I'm white. There was a time I was learning about the Holocaust and my teacher mentioned Hitler was a white guy and everyone just looked at me like I was the one who committed genocide. One of them asked me if I was directly related to Hitler and OMG I threw a book at that kid, I could not take it.


message 34: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Wow... O.O Do you live somewhere else? or...


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I live in NY...


message 36: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Oh wow. O.O That's so stupid!!!


message 37: by Khalif (new)

Khalif @Avalon: It's a way of striking back against the (forgive me for using this term) "enemy". Many of the racial prolblems in the world now were caused by white people. And those same problems exist today. That however, does not give the right for the entire world to turn against white people, I agree (seriously, if they were going to do this, they should have done it when Hitler was in power).
Another thing that I should point out is that when people say "white people did this or that", they aren't entirely serious. think of it as hyperbole in a way. They say one thing, but the words they use are so strong, that the meaning is misconstrued.
Also, not all people are like that. The Black Panther Political Party (a really old political party that started around the time of the civil rights movement) initially said "all power to the people", meaning all races should be treated equally. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., also said a similar thing. However, the problem is that racial issues are so deep in the mind of the public, that most people have trouble changing their views. It's easier for people to say "white people mess up everything," than it is to say "white surpremists mess up everything". People naturally lump together a whole group, instead of an individual group.

honestly, the best thing for you to do is to just speak out against it, and posting here was a good thing. however, just be careful how you say it. use your words wisely.


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I understand what you mean. It is easier for people to blame a whole race rather than picking it out specifically. And of course I speak out against it. I speak out for all races when they are being targeted. It's just I haven't done anything wrong and it annoys me but that's because people lump together whole groups, like you said.


message 39: by Martha (new)

Martha Samsell (tmhoira2012) I could never understand how anyone could hate just because someone is different than you. We are all human beings on the planet and need to learn to live together in peace.


message 40: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) Martha wrote: "I could never understand how anyone could hate just because someone is different than you. We are all human beings on the planet and need to learn to live together in peace."

EXACTLY!!!


message 41: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 4 comments I'm mixed with black and white and I used to live in a big city where there were many different races but a few months ago (almost a year) I moved to a place where there is mostly white people and the kids at my school now say every single little thing is racist an it gets annoying. (Some things they say can be a little offensive) but the really annoying ones (don't affend me) are if someone is describing something they'll say black and you can always count on someone turning around and saying that's racist. No it's not. The previous schools I had went to never said anything was racist unless it WAS racist.
Also in my social studies class we are learning about Africa and there was a country named Niger and people started laughing and there is really nothing to laugh about it is not even spelled like the "N-word" and they are being very immature.


message 42: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 186 comments It's not even pronounced the same...


message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I really don't care about someone's race. I most likely can't tell the difference between most. It really does not matter to me. Racism shouldn't exist. Not cool.


back to top