Don't Say That discussion

Talk About It > Sexism

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nephilim (new)

Nephilim | 187 comments Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

You know the drill.

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Yesssss. I will hang out here a lot.

Similar to gay activists, feminists bother me. Many take it too far and say their minority status (which doesn't even make sense, when the numbers disagree) entitles them to a lot of things.

Now, someone needs to push back on me so I can have an excuse to explain the rest of my position.

message 3: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 186 comments I'll happily take that role.

First of all, to ensure I am not seen as biased:
I am a male.
I don't particularly care what people think of me; this is not simply for public relations.

That done; I believe that women should have wholly equal rights to men, but no more. I believe gender discrimination is wrong. I do not believe them to be a minority, overall, but in certain communities - such as those with 1 child policies - females are left for dead in favour of a son. This is completely and indisputably wrong.
What bothers you about feminism? Give some examples.

message 4: by Khalif (new)

Khalif I'm a male raised in a feminist environment.
Personally, I'm sort of 50-50 on the issue. A lot of feminists think that women are better than men, and that's problematic. See, lets say that the world becomes a matriarch (nothing wrong with that), but it's controlled by radical femminists (DEFFINITELY something wrong with that). It'll be the same thing that happened with our world before, only the gender roles will be reversed. Women will oppress men, men will slowly get a little power, then they'll take over the world, and oppress women. If any gender goes around saying that they are better than the other, they begin an endless cycle. Women and men are no better than each other overall.

message 5: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 186 comments They are not; indeed.

All that is needed is equality, such as in a Meritocracy...

message 6: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 112 comments At least in the society I live in, both men and women are discriminated against, but a lot of people think it's okay to be sexist towards men, but completely wrong to be sexist towards women. I think sexism against either sex is wrong, and I wish it would end.

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor This.^

message 8: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 11 comments Same here jason. But whats stupid is that if we were edcated more about this in schools like most people my age dont realize it is a issue.

message 9: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 112 comments Yeah, and nowadays it's encouraged to discriminate against men, with all the "Guys are so dumb" and stuff like that. If someone said out in public that women are so dumb, they would get torn apart

message 10: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 11 comments Yeah most don't even know what the word means. Once I had to make up some rules for a council at school and the person I was working with laughed at me when I used the word sexism.

Oksana the Bookaholic (cookiegurl) What I don't think is fair is that a female will get paid less doing the exact same job as a male.

message 12: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments @Oksana IKR

message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @Olasana

Bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I read a study that shows that men and women are offered the same salary. The problem is that men are more aggressive with trying to get promotions, so they make more in the end.

That statistic is skewed because they look at the whole careers of men and women. But women are still offered the same amount of money and get payed the same in the beginning.

message 14: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Miss…Waitwhat? [Taylor] wrote: "@Olasana

Bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I read a study that shows that men and women are offered the same salary. The problem is that men are more aggressive with trying to get promotions, so they mak..."

I think that that's bullshit :) My dad works with someone that has the same job as him and gets payed less.

message 15: by Nephilim (new)

Nephilim | 187 comments I know for sure because of the people I know that woman and men that are working the same jobs get more money. Also men are more likely to get promoted even if the woman is more suited of the position.

message 16: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Yep. There is sexism for BOTH men and woman, but you can't deny there are still more sexist things regarding women... for men, in my opinion, it's mostly just stereo-types, and there are stereo-types involving women too.

message 17: by Nephilim (new)

Nephilim | 187 comments True but there are also stereotypes for men like of you don't play a sport your not a man.

message 18: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Stereo-type.
I think that's stupid, by the way XD

message 19: by Nephilim (new)

Nephilim | 187 comments It is but people still do it .

message 20: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments Yeah. Same as that females aren't as good of drives as men...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay guys here comes the rant this is literally the thing I have the biggest problem with,

Let's get one thing straight I do NOT support Sexism in any way. Not towards women not towards men. I will scream at you and chew you out if you are a sexist douche bag. This is what happened one time when I sat next to a douche bag at a public event,

Me: I really want to be a lawyer someday.

Sexist douche bag: Yeah, keep dreaming girls are only something important in movies.

Me: What do you want to be?

Sexist douche bag: The President

Me: Too bad you won't get to it.

Sexist douche bag: Yes I will

Me: No. You won't get anywhere while you're still a pathetic sexist douche bag.

Sexist douche bag: *cries*

Me: *walks away with her head held high*

Call me harsh. I don't care. That guy was being sexist and that doesn't happen with me. No. I WILL take action if someone is being sexist. Don't do it.

message 22: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 126 comments The Sarcasm Queen (Rachel) wrote: "Okay guys here comes the rant this is literally the thing I have the biggest problem with,

Let's get one thing straight I do NOT support Sexism in any way. Not towards women not towards men. I wil..."

Good job :D I want to be a lawyer too.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

@Kay

Thanks. I have wanted to be a lawyer since the 3rd grade. It's a passion and are you joined to the group 'Lit Lawyers'? You should.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Let me put it this way. I'm a girl. I like my rights. But I think feminist are extreme in their ideals and utterly jealous of men. Yes. Some men will be sexist pigs. But no matter how much you scream, there will be few who change it. Why don't you ACTUALLY be independent by sucking up and dealing.

message 25: by Khalif (new)

Khalif ₵î௹៛ strong girls know aren't perfect wrote: "Let me put it this way. I'm a girl. I like my rights. But I think feminist are extreme in their ideals and utterly jealous of men. Yes. Some men will be sexist pigs. But no matter how much yo..."

Because women shouldn't have to deal with it. I mean, all the things that men do to women need to stop, and change won't just happen. the problems wit hthe world so far is that, for ages, women just sat there and let themselves get bullied. If they'd banded together and fought at the beginning, the world will be a much better place.

However, you do have a point. Some feminists can only be described as crazy. I mean, I don't have any particular feelings for my male organs, but I don't want them cut off either.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

wat do ypu mean bullied? yes we were traditionally at home raiaing chilsren whoch in a day and age when children have low respect for their parents, thats an even more impressivw feat. (im 15 so no one ahoot me for my observation) yes, im glaad wwve madw enough progress i can vote and work if i want to, but in general i dont see a problwm with modern guys. most i fins a bit sickminded but thats cuz therw 15. im asauming. and even then there are guys who arent. and moat guys are super sweet. i think equality is great but in order to raise thw pedastal for onw group, you lower for another and equality is short lives. i agree, do somethinf. dont be walked all over but rallies and beinf 'feminiat' and actinf like ur so deprives of lifw because of ur gwnser ia srupid. if u really think u can do it provw it and do it, sont say u can and rally for support from your haters!

forgive my ttpoa. tiny touch screen phone as i babyait.

message 27: by Khalif (new)

Khalif I can't believe I actually understood that

message 28: by Taylor (new)

Taylor This^^^

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya. Thanks guys. I apologized for my typos! My keyboard was tiny okay!

message 30: by Khalif (new)

Khalif Which is why I hate touch screens

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

well, so do i but this is something im passionate about so didnt have many options. can we focus on the content?

message 32: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina White | 2 comments Oksana wrote: "What I don't think is fair is that a female will get paid less doing the exact same job as a male."

Thank you!!!!