Horror Aficionados discussion

The Indie/Small Press Corner > Indie Horror Authors - Which author would you compare your writing style to and why?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments Someone recently asked me a great question: Which author would you compare your writing style to (and why)? It definitely got me thinking about the authors who have influenced my writing. So who would you compare your writing style to...and why? Also, have readers compared your writing to other authors?

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Woods (sparkymarky1973) | 6 comments Well my debut novella Time Of Tides, a Lovecraftian horror set on the Norfolk broads, was recently compared to Stephen kings The Mist!
As a big big King fan I took that as a huge huge compliment!
For my first release, outside of my short stories, I quite rightfully was coasting on cloud 9, 10 and 11 when I read that review!

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Faulks (kim_faulks) | 14 comments A reviewer on I e if my novels said that my writing had flavours of Stephen King, that is if King got off his moped and jumped on a Harley - because Faulks certainly out does him on grit, grunt and momentum.

For myself, I don't really know. I don't think I write like anyone I've ever read. I like raw, gritty and soul tearing stories and I just write the damn thing. I don't really spend too much time worrying about anything else. I'm having too much fun.

message 4: by Harvey (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments My novels don't strike me as being like anyone else's, but maybe their tone has something in common with early Clive Barker.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments I honestly could not say nor do I feel it appropriate to compare my writing to another author. Unless only if a person said my writing reminded them of a certain one to which then I may throw the idea around.

message 6: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments I think many times authors tend to write similarly to those who have influenced them. I think my writing shows at least traces of my favorite authors.

message 7: by Angel (last edited Mar 07, 2014 01:11PM) (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments Kim wrote: "A reviewer on I e if my novels said that my writing had flavours of Stephen King, that is if King got off his moped and jumped on a Harley - because Faulks certainly out does him on grit, grunt and..."

I like your attitude, Kim! I'm looking forward to reading your books. Mark, Harvey and Justin too. I really think many "Indie" authors are overlooked. I, for one, enjoy coming across new talent. I've never read Clive Barker, if you can believe it, but I know he's one of the great ones.

I wish you all the best with your writing, and like Kim, have fun along the way!

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) I have no idea nor do I care. I don't read books, magazines, newspapers or anything else. I always found reading extremely boring! However, I do like to write.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments I'm going to answer this again since I took the shortcut and said I could not compare myself to any other author.

On a really good day I would compare my writing to Edgar Allan Poe, keyword a really good day. Also when I'm really into detail and have my criminal instincts on gear then John Grisham.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 4 comments Good question to have an answer for, because about half the potential readers I talk to about my books ask this question.

The answer depends on which of my books I discuss: I have two YA speculative fiction titles, Blood Roses and the sequel Morning Stars, that reviewers say read like Dan Brown and Michael Creighton co-wrote a vampire series. I have a Dark Urban Fantasy/Dark Fae novella (soon to be novel), On The Bridge: The Complete Gretchen Thyrd Novella, that reviewers have compared to Laurel K. Hamilton. And my latest novel, which is a mystery horror novel with shades of romance and humor and sex, The Alewife: Curse of Obsession. Reviewers have compared the writing to King, Koontz, and Lovecraft, with one reviewer remarking that it reminded her of an episode of Dr. Who (a comment that made my day).

So, I like to skip around with regard to genre and writing style, and although I don't try emulate any author (consciously, at least), The Alewife was written as an homage to Stephen King, but I didn't set out to write an SK-like novel. Reviewers, especially those who wrote some of the harshest reviews, often remark that my writing is very good, but that my characters are less accessible than they want. Other reviewers love my characters, so who knows?

message 11: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 798 comments I read Stephen King and Anne Rice before I wrote my first novel, so the two of them I guess. but my book is compared to another novelist altogether

message 12: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Anthony | 33 comments After reading King's 11/22/63 I was inspired to begin writing again. Now I'm finishing up my third book. I'm not comparing myself to him, but I was definitely inspired by him.

message 13: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Robbins (mikerobbinsauthor) | 12 comments I've only written short stories in the horror genre so far and they tend to be Twilight-Zoneish, so I'd say Rod Serling.

message 14: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Anthony | 33 comments Jonathan wrote: "M.A. wrote: "I've only written short stories in the horror genre so far and they tend to be Twilight-Zoneish, so I'd say Rod Serling."

Serling's a great influence to have. He rarely turned out a dud."

"Walking Distance" is still my favorite episode/short story of his.

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments I Like to think my horror writing sometimes resembles that of Rod Serling as well. I usually try to give my stories that odd and eerie element of the unknown. One of the characters in my 2nd book is based off of the character Henry J Fate from the episode "Mr.Denton on Doomsday".

I love the Twilight Zone, watch the marathons every year and aside from their entertainment factor they also make for a good source of inspiration.

message 16: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Jonathan and Justin, I couldn't agree with you more. In style, I like to think that I kind of emulate my hero, Jack Finney. If ever there was a writer whose material echoes Serling's Twilight Zone, it's him.

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments I've never heard of Jack Finney, I'll have to look him up.

message 18: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Justin, I don't believe it! To read Jack Finney for the first time?! Check him out on Wikipedia first, so that you can get a rundown and a checklist of his stuff. He's the guy who wrote The Body Snatchers back in the fifties. Also, all of the major ones are available as ebooks. Enjoy!

message 19: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Thank you, Jonathan.

message 20: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Robbins (mikerobbinsauthor) | 12 comments I did some follow-up on Rod Serling. I'd only known his Twilight Zone and Night Galleries work and wondered if he ever wrote a novel. I couldn't find one. I'd be interested in seeing how his style translated to long form.

message 21: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments M.A. wrote: "I did some follow-up on Rod Serling. I'd only known his Twilight Zone and Night Galleries work and wondered if he ever wrote a novel. I couldn't find one. I'd be interested in seeing how his style ..."

I once read a short story of his in a book. I don't remember what it was called but it was about a fisherman who came across a mermaid.

message 22: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments I don't know about a novel, but he wrote a long screenplay called Requiem For a Heavyweight. It's the story about an ageing boxer. The teleplay was written and produced in 1957 and the movie in 1962. It was Serling's own personal favourite of his works. It was extremely well received and won awards. Unless you already know about it, check it out. Well worth a look. Lots of famous names were involved in all versions (there's a British one as well).

message 23: by John (last edited Apr 23, 2015 09:47AM) (new)

John Huber | 10 comments I gave a free copy of my debut novel to a blogger in Grand Forks. He said my style sounded like a punchier Douglas Clegg.