The Book Vipers discussion

Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
This topic is about Oryx and Crake
Group Read Archive > Group Fiction Read - March 2014 - Oryx and Crake - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
The discussion thread is now open. No spoilers on this one, please.

Sandy | 458 comments Is anyone reading this, or has read?

message 3: by Paul (last edited Feb 14, 2014 04:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Picked it up from the library yesterday. Won't get to it until March though

Sandy | 458 comments I can not wait to hear what to hear what you think!

Cathy | 553 comments I'd like to join in this one. Was hoping to have it for my science fiction square in the challenge - I know Atwood doesn't like her books being described as science fiction, but could this one count as such?

Sandy | 458 comments I read that too. I can not remember the term she used to describe her books speculative fiction? I'll have to look that one up.

Cathy | 553 comments Yes, according to Wikipedia she has described some of her books such as Oryx and Crake as speculative fiction but also more recently as social science fiction - distinguishing them from writers who use extra-terrestrial settings, beings etc. Anyway, it sounds close enough to me, as a non-science-fiction reader!

Sandy | 458 comments Just finished. I'll comment more after the discussion starts :)

Casey Albert | 29 comments Also just picked it up from the library, but I've got two books to finish first before I can start it. Hoping to start within the next week or two

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 22 comments I just picked this up from the library. Looking forward to the discussion.

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments Began this today...my second Atwood book, after reading The Blind Assassin last month. Immediately hooked. I find her writing very accessible. I am looking forward to seeing where this journey takes us. Interesting to hear how she prefers to not use the term Science Fiction :D

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Also started today. It seems right up my street and I don't know why I haven't read any Atwood before.

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hsve four to finish before I get to it. Nearly got another of hers from the library today

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
I do like this, but am also finding it miserable to read! Haven't much felt like apocalyptic fiction in this gorgeous weather. Must crack on with it.

message 15: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Started last night. Very surreal so far.

Debbie | 585 comments Started today, it's a re-read for me. .needed a refresher before I read the other 2 in the MaddAdam trilogy for the series challenge. Margaret Atwood is a favourite author of mine, she is top class.

message 17: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have never read anything by Atwood, so this is a first for me

message 18: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished tonight, have given it three stars, though really 3.5 would be more appropriate. Parts of it were really good, other bits less so.

Will write more on the other thread tomorrow.

Debbie | 585 comments Just finished... bring on parts 2 and 3 :)