#Read26Indy discussion

Realms of Fantasy, Magic, & Myth

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Brigham | 22 comments I'm a proud geek. I dig times and places that never existed. Attended Gen Con almost every year since it moved to Indy. Read through most of "Wheel of Time". Read "Song of Ice and Fire" twice. Hung out with Conan and Elric. Wandered the Shire, Shannara, Ravenloft, etc.. Decided to make topic for this genre as part of #read26indy

message 2: by Reyna (new)

Reyna Pryde (reyna_pryde) | 2 comments Hey James,
I'm a lover of all things fantasy, magic, & myth as well. I just joined the group recently, since it is one of the only groups I can find based out of Indy. Excited to see a discussion I can finally be a part of. :) I love to read, yet I find it difficult to get into some of the high fantasy out there. I love GOT (the show). When I tried to read the books before I started watching the show, I couldn't get into them. I wonder if I should go back and try again now that I love the story so much.
My reading choices are a little more relaxed and as a woman, I tend to fall on that lame romance bandwagon. LoL Still, I my love for fantasy of all types, leads me to some amazing worlds!

message 3: by Leslye (new)

Leslye (modifiedomestic) | 2 comments Just finished Game of Thrones #1 (A Song of Fire and Ice) as my work commute audio book. Still working on American Gods as my hard copy book. I also managed to get caught up on a lot of my graphic novels.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Allison | 3 comments I finished Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance over a week ago and I am still in withdrawal. I miss the characters, the world, the story.... Does anyone have any suggestions for a follow-up epic fantasy series? (and even if I've already read them, it might be nice to have a list for other interested parties)

message 5: by James (new)

James Brigham | 22 comments Katie, I have a friend who was really trying to get me into something called "The Runelords" a few years back. I've heard good things about "The Malazan Book of the Fallen". And I've read nothing but amazing opinions about Wolfe's "The Book of the New Sun". Take all of those with a grain of salt, however, as I've not had any personal experiences reading yet.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Allison | 3 comments James, I too recommend the Runelords ... to a point. The first 4 or 5 books are excellent and then they become kind of hit and miss in my opinion and somehow the characters get transported to another dimension and it gets kind of weird. Maybe it was because I spent too much time away from the series before I read those. The world, magic and heroes in the early ones are solid though and very gripping.
I tried the book of the malazan, but couldn't get into it. I may have to revisit those though as I couldn't even tell you what they were about other than the bridgeburners (I think?).
The last one I've not heard of and will check out. Thanks!

message 7: by James (new)

James Brigham | 22 comments The Black Mountains I finished this last month. It's an old school sword and sorcery book about a warrior named Chup. He encounters a giant centipede, djinn powered hot air balloons, and prismatic resurrection pools during his adventures. This either sounds awesome or awful to you at this point, I'd wager.

message 8: by James (new)

James Brigham | 22 comments I'm also a big fan of Joe Abercrombie, even though I've only read "Best Served Cold" so far.