Writer's Advice and Feedback Group discussion

Ask questions about writing > Hi! How should the love scenes be in YA novels?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 22 comments I'm writing one but don't know how much detailed should the live scenes be. Plzzz advice! Thnx!

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 150 comments Write whatever you feel should be in the love scene. A love scene is suppose to show some aspect of the main character(s), for example, if you have a quiet shy guy who is that way throughout your whole story, you will show a more passionate side to him in a love scene.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Thomson | 93 comments Mod
Before I comment properly do you mean things beyond kisses (sex basically)? :) x

message 4: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 22 comments Yup Amy!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Well it depends who you're writing for, I mean are you writing for yourself because if so then put in as much detail as you like. Are you writing to get something published? In which case you should probably write something a less risky.
In some books I've read the different sex references have been like "rolling around beneath the sheets", "feel your hipbone beneath my lips" (that one was a bit more raunchy).
Generally in YA novels sex is inferred but not said, and that can be as easy as saying something like "he kisses me passionately, wrapping his body around."
It really is up to you. Honestly, I tend to just go for it and then cut it down afterwards to make it a bit more PG:L xxx

message 6: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 22 comments Thnx Amy!!

message 7: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 22 comments Hey are u writing any book?

message 8: by Amy (new)

Yeah, I write loads!:)

message 9: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 22 comments Any YAs? ;) where did u post them? I wanna read!

message 10: by Amy (new)

Yeah, I'll give you a link x

message 11: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 22 comments Ok ;)

message 12: by Alice (new)

Alice (alice20) Yeah Amy's writing is awesome... You should definitely check it out! :)

In terms of love scene advice, I don't have any experience with like R-rated stuff, but for romantic scenes in general, I like the writing to be geared toward showing emotion than showing what the lovers are doing. Don't only say that they are kissing; show the love behind the kisses.
If you want good examples, just take out any YA romance book and flip to the love scenes :)

message 13: by Cindy ♥ (new)

Cindy ♥ | 111 comments Mod
It totally depends on the story at hand. There are some YA novels that have $ex scenes and there are some that just does intensive kissing.

I think they are both appropriate for YA. Just don't turn it into a 50 shades of grey book ;)

message 14: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 22 comments Thnx!!!

message 15: by Amy (new)

Thank you Ali:)