The Page Turners discussion

Author Q&A's > [Closed] Author Q&A: Leah Scheier

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Our newest Q&A is with author Leah Scheier, who wrote Secret Letters. Secret Letters by Leah Scheier

As some of you may recall, we read this book as a monthly read a while back. Here is the synopsis:

Inquisitive and observant, Dora dreams of escaping her aristocratic country life to solve mysteries alongside Sherlock Holmes. So when she learns that the legendary detective might be her biological father, Dora jumps on the opportunity to travel to London and enlist his help in solving the mystery of her cousin's ransomed love letters. But Dora arrives in London to devastating news: Sherlock Holmes is dead. Her dreams dashed, Dora is left to rely on her wits-and the assistance of an attractive yet enigmatic young detective-to save her cousin's reputation and help rescue a kidnapped heiress along the way.

Steeped in Victorian atmosphere and intrigue, this gripping novel heralds the arrival of a fresh new voice in young adult literature.

Please post questions by February 12.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Where did you get the inspiration for Secret Letters?

Who inspires you to write?

Do you base characters off of people you know?

Do you have any advice for those who wish to become writers?

When did you begin to write and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Where did you get the inspiration for Secret Letters?
Secret Letters is my first novel and it actually began as a bit of fan-fiction based on the Sherlock Holmes stories. I've loved those stories since I was a teen and always wished that Doyle had written a great recurring female character into his tales. There were a couple of interesting female characters, but they were never in more than one story. I'd also read many fan-fic adventures that had Sherlock paired with a love interest, but I wasn't interested in pursuing that idea at all. So I thought, what would his daughter have been like, if he had had one? And that's how the idea of Secret Letters came about.

Who inspires you to write?
My favorite authors (John Green, Markus Zusak, Nick Hornby). And my three daughters who love to read.

Do you base characters off of people you know?
Not really, although some of my characters are "inspired" by certain traits in people I've met. I wouldn't want my friends to think that they have to watch what they say around me because they might end up in my next novel! I would say that many of my characters are mash-ups of different people.

Do you have any advice for those who wish to become writers?
Read. Constantly. Be open to criticism. And most of all, write.

When did you begin to write and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I've wanted to be a writer since I learned to read. I was worried that the career of a writer was too unstable and unreliable, though, so in high school I made the decision to go to medical school. After I finished my residency and began working as a pediatrician I re-discovered writing. I haven't stopped since, although I keep my day job as a doc. It's what pays the bills and sometimes even gives me material and inspiration for my novels. I am currently working on a novel about a teenager with schizophrenia which was inspired by my time in the pediatric psych ward.