2014 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Freakboy
This topic is about Freakboy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenni Frencham (jennifrencham) This is another book that I was surprised didn't win a Stonewall. I loved this book, and it's been very popular in my library, especially with patrons who enjoy novels written in verse.

Allison | 21 comments Mod
I'm reading this right now-- it's a really eye-opening, powerful read.

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) Also surprised it didn't get a Stonewall. I thought it was brilliant.

message 4: by Ramona (new)

Ramona (momoprice) | 7 comments I think someone on the yalsa listserv said it wasn't eligible for a Stonewall this year because their eligibility dates are different than the other awards and it will be eligible for next year.

message 5: by Mindy (new) - added it

Mindy | 6 comments I love the Verse Novel format! and the different voices too.

message 6: by Eden (new)

Eden Grey (edengrey) Thinking about using this for a teen book club choice next year. . .the verse novel format is fantastic! And the content is really important for teens, too.

Lee-ann | 16 comments I really like that this book did not have a quick summed up ending.

Jess (jmor) This was a really powerful read, and it made great use of the verse novel format. I usually have a hard time reading verse novels, but this was easy to read, and it was used really effectively. I like how the different characters were represented by different fonts and poetry formats.