2014 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Zombie Baseball Beatdown
This topic is about Zombie Baseball Beatdown
Amazing Audiobooks > Zombie Baseball Beatdown

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenni Frencham (jennifrencham) I'm starting this one today - I have the CDs with me at work, and I'll listen to it between classes visiting the library. Has anyone else read this one yet?

Jenni Frencham (jennifrencham) The first CD of this book was really, really boring. For a book with the word zombie in the title, there weren't any zombies at all. I was really unimpressed, as were the students who wandered through the library. It's getting a bit better now that the zombies have actually appeared. The narrator does an okay job, but I still prefer reading books myself rather than listening to them.

Jenni Frencham (jennifrencham) The book got better on Disc 3, when the zombies appeared, and the zombie cows started mooing. My junior high patrons are loving walking into the library and hearing this book when they visit me.

Angela Critics (quiltinglibrarian) | 16 comments The mooing cow zombies and the moaning "human" ones were great in the audio. I can see younger teens enjoying the humor and the grossness of this book. But it also carries an environmental message, pointing out conditions in the meat packing industry. It's not my sort of book, but I think it was definitely well done.

Ariel Birdoff (madam_pince) | 19 comments I was not expecting to like this book at all. I am not normally a zombie fan, but it was the only audio book I could download immediately on my phone. When I started listening, I was a bit bored, but soon the story picked up with the appearance of the zombies. With the backdrop of working conditions in the meat packing industry, and illegal immigrants in America, the classic zombie genre was brought to a whole new level. I could see tweens and teens enjoying this book immensely.

Tiffany (tichwi) I enjoyed this book more than I anticipated. It's not my usual genre, but it was a fun book. I think what worked for me was that the book didn't take itself too seriously, but still handled a difficult topic. It didn't hurt that the narrator was the same as in Eleanor& Park, which I am also listening too. I could definitely think of patrons who would love this.

message 7: by Adrienne (new) - added it

Adrienne | 6 comments If I had seen this book in the library I would have rejected it based on the cover. But the story was much better than I expected.

Debbie | 14 comments Like others who have commented, I didn't expect to like this one, but I did. Despite the gross humor, the author tackled some serious issues in a way that didn't feel too heavy-handed. I'll definitely add this one to my classroom library.

Jennie (bobcatbrarian) | 5 comments The narrator was very entertaining but I have to agree that there was not enough zombie action for a book that had zombie and beatdown in the title. Those action scenes were pretty good, though. And the zombie cow head? EUGH!

I thought the sidebars about immigration, poor working conditions, and hormone injected meat added another level to the story, but that those parts went on a little too long and bordered on preachy.

Deborah Takahashi (materialgirl2383) | 1 comments After reading Paolo Bacigalupi's award-winning noel, Shipbreaker, I am so glad to see another side of his writing in Zombie Baseball Beatdown. This story is a lot of fun because not only is there action and zombies, there are a whole set of very real issues that most teen readers will not be familiar with. For example, our dynamic trio are a bunch of misfits who have a lot in common despite their difference. For example, Rabi is part Indian and Caucasian, which makes him stick out like a sore thumb in his quiet little town. Miguel, whose parents (undocumented workers) were deported because they had the courage to speak out about the awful conditions of the meatpacking plant. Lastly, there is Joe whose father is an alcoholic and a single father. Although the boys don't see their friendship based on their family lives, they stick together because they help one another in may ways that solidify this relationship. In fact, it is very apparent when Miguel's aunt and uncle are taken away by ICE both Rabi and Joe tell him that he can stay with their families because Miguel "didn't ask to be an orphan). Actually, Miguel's family situation is a whole different plot of the story because Sammy's father (Rabi's arch-nemesis) is responsible for their deportation because they were going to bring down the whole meat packing facility, which means Sammy and his family would lose all their money; Sammy's family is the most affluent family in town so rather than doing what is right by the people, Sammy's father reported Miguel's family to ICE so they are no longer a threat to the company. Another thing that I love about this story is that is reminds me of the many wonderful stories by Roald Dahl where the grown-ups are beyond ridiculous and not at all responsible for their own actions.There is a lot going on in this little 292 page book that some readers might find their heads spinning; however, Bacigalupi is able to tie all of this together to create a very serious story, but with a fun twist that make this book difficult to put down.

Lee-ann | 16 comments I am only on disc 2 of this story, but I am enjoying more than I thought I would. The zombie elements paired with the bullying, class, race and environmental issues lets this book be read on many levels

Jmrunninglib | 25 comments Though I enjoyed the book more than I expected, like others before me, I don't know how my students will like it. They might pick it up due to the cover or the word zombie in the title, but get a little lost with the message. Though I did think the zombie cow head was cool and would attract the boys to the book. :)

Karen (idontkaren) I thought this was great. It makes sense to have serious issues embedded in the seemingly silly zombie book. Other zombie series like Night of the Living Dead and the Walking Dead's social critique element are just as important to the plot as the action. Even if kids just take in even a little of that message, it's effective.