2014 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

The Boy on the Wooden Box
This topic is about The Boy on the Wooden Box
Amazing Audiobooks > The Boy on the Wooden Box

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenni Frencham (jennifrencham) I was glad to learn more about the Schindler's list survivors, but the narrative style of this book was a bit choppy, and I found that this choppiness affected my enjoyment of the book. It's funny how the YMA seem to go through phases: Last year, many of the books were about serial killers or the atomic bomb. This year, it seems many of the books are about the Holocaust.

Cindy | 7 comments I also learned a lot about the Schindler list survivors. I appreciated that Leon Leyson spoke about his life before the Nazi's came into power and about the changes occurring as they gained more power. I also appreciated that instead of ending the book with the end of the war, he spoke of his life after the war. A very informative and worthwhile book.

Jmrunninglib | 25 comments I agree a very informative and worthwhile book. There seems to be quite a few Holocaust books out there, but I thought this one told from Leon's perspective not only during the war , but after was well done. I found his comment about the racial inequalities he witnessed here in the US to be an interesting view of the times. My heart broke when his brother chose not to get taken off the train, but to rather stay with his girlfriend to the end - a love story within all the horrors.