Ruins Q&A with Dan Wells discussion

Hi!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Wells | 42 comments Mod
As terrible as it may be to admit this, I have never done a Goodreads group before. Be gentle.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Oh you'll do fine I'm sure!

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 4 comments So excited for this! Thank you for creating the group. This is one of those books I see people reading on the subway all the time. I always love chatting them up over how wonderful a read it is. I have a reminder on my calendar for the March 11th release!

message 4: by Tatis (new)

Tatis Fdz cueto ps | 3 comments I haven't read fragments yet, so I am not well actualized in the book. Also I am not good writing in English because I am Mexican, but I would live to know where did you found your inspiration to write a hole book?

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina Lewis | 9 comments Thanks so much for the invite. I too would love to learn about your inspiration for the books. This series really turned me on to the whole post apocalyptic/futuristic/sci-fi genre and now I can't get enough of it.

message 6: by Eleanor (last edited Feb 06, 2014 05:35AM) (new)

Eleanor (realtastypages) Hi Dan, So didn't read Ruins yet even though you emailed it to me last year because I'm going to wait like all the other Fans and buy and read it then :) Yes I believe I am a geek and damn proud of it! :) Hope all is well.

message 7: by Dan (new)

Tatis, yo vivia en Mexico por dos años! Me encanta tu país. Pero ya mi Español es muy feo :)

I'm inspired by a lot of things--books, movies, science, friends, the entire world around me. The inspiration for the Partials series came from three key places:
1) I wanted to tell a story about the end of the world, and specifically a plague. I loved the images that come from a plague--all the people are gone, but all of our stuff is still there, just abandoned and forgotten. Telling the story about the tiny group of survivors trying to live in the ruins of our civilization was just very exciting to me for some reason.
2) I love Battlestar Galactica, and wanted to play around with the concept of the Cylons: people who look like humans, but are fundamentally different and alien. This is a curse all writers have: we can't watch or read somebody else's story without thinking of all the ways we would have done it differently. My Partials, in the end, turned out completely different from Cylons (plus my villains actually had a plan...), but that's where the idea started.
3) I love Hermione Granger, and it always bugged me that she answered all the riddles and solved all the problems and then Harry got all the credit. So I wrote a story about a super smart, super capable girl who got to be the hero of her own story :)

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) Thanks for inviting me! I can't wait for Ruins!!

message 9: by Tatis (new)

Tatis Fdz cueto ps | 3 comments Thanks for the answer! I admire Kira because she is strong and fights for what she believes in, and I think you created a character that many girls of my age would love, because of her personality!

message 10: by Dan (new)

Eleanor wrote: "Hi Dan, So didn't read Ruins yet even though you emailed it to me last year..."

Eleanor, you just made everyone else in this group jealous :)

message 11: by Tatis (new)

Tatis Fdz cueto ps | 3 comments Ps. Authors like you should come more often to Mexico, I am jealous that only Americans get your autographs

message 12: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (realtastypages) Dan wrote: "Eleanor wrote: "Hi Dan, So didn't read Ruins yet even though you emailed it to me last year..."

Eleanor, you just made everyone else in this group jealous :)"

haha Totally didn't mean to do that ;P

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina Lewis | 9 comments Dan wrote: "Eleanor wrote: "Hi Dan, So didn't read Ruins yet even though you emailed it to me last year..."

Only a tiny bit! I would have definitely read it.

message 14: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 4 comments Living in NYC area and having read the books, I've always wondered if you had driven through or spent time in the actual areas you describe?

message 15: by Pat (new)

Pat Byrnes | 2 comments I like many of your readers are anxiously waiting for the final part of the trilogy. Will the two worlds/sides decide to work together or destroy each other? Your trilogy mirrors our society, each group is out for themselves and don’t give it a second thought about others. I can wait to read the final act. I hope you come to Kansas City on your book tour.

message 16: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (realtastypages) Tina wrote: "Dan wrote: "Eleanor wrote: "Hi Dan, So didn't read Ruins yet even though you emailed it to me last year..."

Only a tiny bit! I would..."

I've gone a few times to start it and gone no Eleanor put it down haha plus i'ma little sad to read it cause its going to be the last book in this series and it will be sad to finish it! I'm I the only one who thinks this?

message 17: by Dan (last edited Feb 06, 2014 06:25AM) (new)

Tatis, I would LOVE to go to Mexico. My books have only been there for a few years, starting almost exactly when I moved to Germany, so I haven't been able to make the trip yet. I'll be back in the US this summer, though, so a trip to Mexico is definitely in the plan, probably spring or summer 2015.

Jaime, I'm fairly familiar with Manhattan, but Long Island and East Meadow I know primarily through my obsessively detailed study of Google Earth. I've traced every step my characters took, and everywhere they turned and stopped and fought. I'd actually really love to do a real trip through the area and build a photojournal of Partials locations. I've heard from some locals who thought I did a good job, and others who thought it was horrible: did it work for you?

message 18: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 4 comments It was great because I was reading the books on the subway to work (in Times Square's fashion district) so it felt like I was there with Kira. I haven't spent much time in Long Island but Manhattan is spot on!

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina Lewis | 9 comments Eleanor wrote: "Tina wrote: "Dan wrote: "Eleanor wrote: "Hi Dan, So didn't read Ruins yet even though you emailed it to me last year..."

Only a tiny..."

I have friends that savor their books but I dive right in when I can. The anticipation is too much for me. Props to you for your self control.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) Me too, Tina! I am sure I will devour this baby when its released!

Partials (Partials, #1) by Dan Wells was my fave dystopian of 2012, and in my top 4 reads of the year as well. And Fragments (Partials, #2) by Dan Wells made the list for 2013!

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina Lewis | 9 comments Jenny wrote: "Me too, Tina! I am sure I will devour this baby when its released!

Partials (Partials, #1) by Dan Wellswas my fave dystopian of 2012, and in my top 4 reads of the year as well. And [bookcover:Fragmen..."

I agree with your top picks. I randomly found Partials browsing my library and the cover intrigued me. After reading the description, I knew I had to try it. I'm pretty sure I neglected my family so I could read it in one sitting. Fragments would have been read almost as fast but I was in the middle of my semester, as I am now, but I will find the time to read Ruins.

message 22: by Wm (new)

Wm (wmhenrymorris) | 1 comments Guten Tag, Dan.

All of your works have a little bit of (sometimes dark) humor in them even when they are emotionally/thematically heavy e.g. both the Partials and John Cleaver series. Why is that and how do you decide how much to put in or leave out?

message 23: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (realtastypages) Tina wrote: "Eleanor wrote: "Tina wrote: "Dan wrote: "Eleanor wrote: "Hi Dan, So didn't read Ruins yet even though you emailed it to me last year..."

Eleanor, you just made everyone else in this group jealous ..."

haha Thanks Luv

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) Tina wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Me too, Tina! I am sure I will devour this baby when its released!

Partials (Partials, #1) by Dan Wellswas my fave dystopian of 2012, and in my top 4 reads of the year as well. And [boo..."

YAY! Everyone of my friends that I recommended this series to that has read it, has loved it!! We've had some awesome buddy reads with it!

Dan, you have an open invitation to our Goodreads group to come over for a Q&A!

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina Lewis | 9 comments I'm curious to know what the future holds for Dan Wells. Can you reveal anything you are currently working on? Thanks!

message 26: by Dan (new)

Wm wrote: "Guten Tag, Dan.

All of your works have a little bit of (sometimes dark) humor in them even when they are emotionally/thematically heavy e.g. both the Partials and John Cleaver series. Why is that..."

I have always been the class clown, and I suppose that bleeds into my fiction as well; I can't help but think of funny/sarcastic things while I write, so I'll always put in a character like John Cleaver or Marcus who can say them for me. I also LOVE the juxtaposition of contrary emotions, so trying to make someone happy and sad at the same time, or scared and laughing at the same time, is kind of my holy grail. Humor's just too good of a tool not to use.

message 27: by Dan (new)

Tina wrote: "I'm curious to know what the future holds for Dan Wells. Can you reveal anything you are currently working on? Thanks!"

This sounds like a new topic all its own. I'll start one in a bit and give some (I hope) tantalizing answers.

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tina Lewis | 9 comments Dan wrote: "Tina wrote: "I'm curious to know what the future holds for Dan Wells. Can you reveal anything you are currently working on? Thanks!"

This sounds like a new topic all its own. I'll start one in a b..."

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it.

message 29: by Dan (new)

Jenny wrote: "Dan, you have an open invitation to our Goodreads group to come over for a Q&A!"

Thanks! But could you forgive my Goodreads ignorance, and give me a link to follow? I looked on your profile and couldn't find the group.

message 30: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Ackerley (foxywriter) | 3 comments If your publishers ever let you, Canada could uae some love too! I can't wait to read the new book. Strangely, the prequel is my fav of the set so far. Heron is such a wonderful character that I want more from her POV. W leads in my questuon nicely, who had the most difficult POV to write in this series?

message 31: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) Dan wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Dan, you have an open invitation to our Goodreads group to come over for a Q&A!"

Thanks! But could you forgive my Goodreads ignorance, and give me a link to follow? I looked on your ..."

Of course!

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 32: by Karen’s Library (last edited Feb 06, 2014 09:48AM) (new)

Karen’s Library EEPP!! Dan, I second Jenny's offer! WE LOVE YOU in our group! We've done both books as buddy reads and would love to have you join our Bestselling Author Q&A's that we do every week! I've got heart flutters thinking that you'd join us! Jenny is the Events queen! I run the Book of the Month's, so we'd feature Partials as our book of the month! Say yes, say yes!! Squee!!

Here's the Q&A's we've had so far. They've been absolutely INCREDIBLE!! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 33: by Dan (last edited Feb 07, 2014 12:54AM) (new)

BA wrote: "Heron is such a wonderful character that I want more from her POV. W leads in my questuon nicely, who had the most difficult POV to write in this series?"

I'm glad you like Heron, she's one of my favorite characters in the series--probably second to Kira, if I had to rank them. Isolation was a great way to get into her head and show another side of the Partials.

The series started with very limited POVs: Partials just has Kira, Isolation just has Heron, Fragments adds Kira and Marcus (and tiny flashes from Haru and Ariel)...and then Ruins throws out all the rules and gives us a chapter here and there from Kira, Marcus, Samm, Heron, Ariel, Haru, and even a couple of adults, like Owen Tovar and Dr. Vale, and an all-new character you haven't even met yet. It sounds like a lot, but don't worry: I did everything I could to keep the book tight and fast-paced, and not sprawl out all over the place like an untrimmed hedge. It's actually shorter than Fragments was by a few thousands words, and of course the main focus is still very much on Kira. But there was simply so much going on, and so many characters I loved and couldn't bear to leave hanging, that I slipped in lots of little scenes to let us know where everyone was, and to let us feel a little bit of their pain.

Which was the hardest to write? Ariel. No real question there. She's as driven as Kira is, but while Kira is driven by an urge to help, Ariel is all about anger. She's been hurt, and she's pissed, and she wants revenge. Her storyline was rewarding, but hard to do *right.*

message 34: by Dan (new)

Karen wrote: "EEPP!! Dan, I second Jenny's offer! WE LOVE YOU in our group! We've done both books as buddy reads and would love to have you join our Bestselling Author Q&A's that we do every week!"

Jenny and Karen, this sounds more formal than just a 'drop in and start chatting' thing, so email me and we'll set it up and do it right. Thank you very much for the invitation, I'd be delighted to join you.

Karen’s Library Awesome, Dan!! Jenny will get you set up!

I've read Partials twice (refreshed myself for Fragments) and love this series. Where did you come up with the idea for this world?

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (srstuckless) | 5 comments Did it concern you at all that with the market recently being flooded with a lot of YA Dystopian that your books wouldn't be well-received?
I admit, it took me a while to pick up Partials because I felt the genre was a bit overdone.
I'm glad I did though. Really enjoyed the first two books.

message 37: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1 comments I have to confess Dan that, purchasing PARTIALS was one of My, "I NEED A BOOK and I NEED ONE NOW"!!,, purchases. I was in My local Waterstone's store and was 'pulled in' by the colour of the spine on the Partials paper back!!! I'm so glad that I followed My gut instinct and the primary colour of the spine, My fave colour, purple!!!! I pre ordered PARTIALS 2 months prior to release and have also had RUINS pre ordered via Amazon since the beginning of January!! The release of Ruins is so close to My Birthday so.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! :D

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) Dan wrote: "Karen wrote: "EEPP!! Dan, I second Jenny's offer! WE LOVE YOU in our group! We've done both books as buddy reads and would love to have you join our Bestselling Author Q&A's that we do every wee..."

Awesomesauce! I just sent you an email :)

message 39: by Hannah (last edited Mar 12, 2014 11:43PM) (new)

Hannah Benner | 3 comments I would just like to say I am exceedingly excited about "Ruins"' release in March. I have passed the "Partials" series off to every book worm I could, and they have given it nothing but praise! Kira could be my all time favorite leading female book character. Also, your knowledge of medical and scientific terms and the correct usage of them was awesome. I've read several books where the authors have attempted the same thing and just failed completely. But, you did a commendable job, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Well, while I would love to invade you with questions...you know, "Spoilers!" and all...

message 40: by Pedro (new)

Pedro Vasquez | 1 comments GRACIAS POR AGREGARME Dan Wells ESPERO QUE PRONTO TE VENGAS A PERU Y PUEDAN SACAR UNA PELI DE LA TRILOGIA LA CONEXION :D :D :D :D Y ESPERANDO CON ANCIAS QUE LLEGUE A PERU FRAGMENTO :D :D :D :D

message 41: by May (last edited Feb 07, 2014 12:11AM) (new)

May (mayanoah) | 11 comments Hi, Mr. Wells and everybody! Thank you for the invitation to the group. Regarding Ruins, I truly hope that everything ends well for Kira and the rest of the good guys. Great series!!! :) May A Noah

message 42: by Dan (new)

Sandy wrote: "Did it concern you at all that with the market recently being flooded with a lot of YA Dystopian that your books wouldn't be well-received?"

I was slightly concerned, but not a ton. Maybe I should have been :) The thing is, I don't really consider the Partials books to be dystopian--the first one has a strong dystopian element to it, but they're more post-apocalyptic than anything. What I've learned, though, is that most readers don't make any real distinction between those two. If it's young adult SF, it's dystopian. Even Cinder by Marissa Meyer was labeled a dystopian, which doesn't make any sense to me at all.

But getting back to specifics: Partials has an oppressive dystopian government, and I can't argue with that, but then it's gone, and Fragments is about a group of misfit travelers crossing a dangerous countryside, fighting monsters, and exploring a dungeon. There are warring kingdoms, a near-human species with pseudo-mystical powers, and a quest to save the world. People call it a dystopian series, but really you've been reading epic fantasy this whole time :)

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (srstuckless) | 5 comments Dan wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Did it concern you at all that with the market recently being flooded with a lot of YA Dystopian that your books wouldn't be well-received?"

I was slightly concerned, but not a ton. ..."

I see what you're saying. Just because it YA and SF, doesn't make it dystopic. I must admit, I'm guilty of grouping all YA SF under the dystopian umbrella. I should read more of it to learn the difference. Maybe I'll finally read Hunger Games! :)

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) I also usually don't make the distinction, although I recognize differences in the genre--there is so much crossover anymore. Fantasy is my fave genre, and I'm guessing that's why I love "dystopian" so much, because it is an alternate reality much of the time, so it feels like fantasy!

Karen’s Library I think what I'm drawn to is the post-apocalyptic. So that's why this series drew me in so much! That's how I class it! :)

message 46: by Jason (last edited Feb 07, 2014 03:43PM) (new)

Jason Luu (jasonluu) | 2 comments Dan, how much time do you think you dedicated to outlining the series, and then each book before you began the actual writing process?

message 47: by Dan (new)

Don't worry, I'll be back to give all these questions some real answers on Monday. I haven't forgotten you :)

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna Weaver Sandy wrote: "Dan wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Did it concern you at all that with the market recently being flooded with a lot of YA Dystopian that your books wouldn't be well-received?"

I was slightly concerned, but..."

And you're finishing a series. You've already built a fan base, so that should help.

message 49: by Dan (new)

Catherine wrote: "The release of Ruins is so close to My Birthday so.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! :D"

It's right next to my birthday too! Happy birthday!

message 50: by Dan (new)

Hannah wrote: "Kira could be my all time favorite, leading female, book character. Also, your knowledge of medical and scientific terms and the correct usage of them was awesome. I've read several books where the authors have attempted the same thing and just failed completely. But, you did a commendable job, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!"

Thanks! Kira is one of my favorite female book characters as well :)

And I'm glad you liked the science in Partials. It was very important for me to get it right, or at least as 'right' as made up science can be. As soon as I sat down and started outlining the book, I knew it would need to have more science than the typical YA SF tends to have, because I wanted Kira to find a cure for a disease and I that means real investigation and study. I wanted to avoid having to type the words "And then Kira did some science," so instead I took the time to figure out exactly what the science was, and how the virus worked, and all the steps she'd have to go through to solve the problem. I love how it turned out, and I'm glad you did too.

On the other hand, one of my favorite reviews I've ever gotten was a blogger who just said: "Less science, more kissing!" I didn't back off on the science, but I did add more kissing :)

« previous 1