Uglies (Uglies, #1)
This topic is about Uglies
Archives > Uglies Series By: Scott Westerfeld, Starting: February 6th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmin (sakuchu) | 964 comments Mod
We are starting today? Really? Comes unexpected.. LOL
How many chapters are we reading per day? I'd suggest 3 for both Uglies and Bloodlines for now, so we'll have 6 chapters/day.
And after next week we can read a little bit more, if you want to! :)

message 2: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alright, so when do you want to start :)?

message 3: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alright, just tell me when you start :) (since I already have all books both Uglies series and the first of Bloodlines.) For Bloodlines: I think I already read ~5 chapters in January, do you want to join me when you read the first 5 or should I re-read them?

message 4: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
I'll join once you guys get to Specials!!!!!

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 2509 comments Yes I'll join this! :D I'll just start reading in a few days.

message 6: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Hannah: Actually I'm not sure if I can do 3.. LOL, but I'll try and for me it's an re-read anyway (I read it last year around the same time), so if I get behind way too much I can still consider simply skipping some pages. (Since I still pretty much know what happened, but read it for the challenge lol)

And we can decide on a new pace next week. We can just check how many chapters are left for the whole series and then decide how many chapters we have to read to finish the whole series this month. What do you think? :)

message 7: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes :) (you want to read 3 for Bloodlines, too?)
And just asking.. When you write "Tonight"( see above lol) do you mean Tonight as in 8th or Tonight as in 9th? Just not sure what your timezone is :) (I live In Germany)

message 8: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok since I'm apparantly ~6 hours ahead of you, I think we can say 9th lol
We can do 3 for Bloodlines too :) So I'll only have to read 1 Chapter tomorrow and after Tuesday, I'll have a little bit more time to spare again.. (The worst days will be today and tomorrow!) If you want to we can also start reading like 5 chapters a day for both series starting Tuesday :) (Learning just one subject instead of 4 will be totally relaxing! LOL)

message 9: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (last edited Feb 09, 2014 01:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just to make an example for a possible schedule:

January 9th: Chapters 1-3
January 10th: Chapter 4-6
January 11th: Chapter 7-10
January 12th: Chapter 11-15
January 13th: Chapter 16-20

and so on.. (not sure how many chapters there are)

message 10: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

You are allowed to read at work? lol

message 11: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Uglies has so many chapters?! o.O I didn't remember it being so long, last time I read it, it took me just a few days lol

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 2509 comments Ok so the schedule's 3 chapters a day? Or are we reading more because of the amount of chapters? And yeah I love short chapters!

message 13: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Maddison: We'll go with 3 chapters/day for the first 3 days and then read 5. I'd suggest we check back on the 16th, how many chapters we have to read per day to finish the whole series this month. You might want to check my schedule (see above) for the start.

@Hannah: Short chapters make buddy reads look like they take forever lol

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 2509 comments Alright. So until the 12th we read 3 chapters per day and then from the 13th onward we read 5 chapters?

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 2509 comments And on the schedule you said January when you meant February haha.

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 2509 comments Yeah but then it's not stressful haha.

message 17: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, it should be February lol (Time surely flies! haha)

Steph | 41 comments Is it too late to jump in on this? I started this book today actually.

Steph | 41 comments I've never done a group read...lol, I just thought it was crazy I stumbled across this one the same day I started this book. So forgive me if I have no clue how they even work haha.

Steph | 41 comments So where is everyone at currently? I just hit pg 136, my stopping point for tonight :)

message 21: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think we last read the Chapter Shay appeared for the first time in, right?

message 22: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, I always get confused lol
Lately I've simply started to count the chapters I read. (like if I have to read 5 I count till 5 and stop lol)

Steph | 41 comments Lol, well...I accidentally stayed up until 3am last night reading. I know I said I was done at 136 but every time I laid down and tried to sleep, I wanted to read more....so. I'm at like 250 now. Oops. Today should be fun at work, book induced insomnia! I swear, it's a real thing. Lol

message 24: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Is there something like accidentally staying up? Isnt it always more like constantly checking the time but not wanting to stop? :)

Maybe if you can wait you might be able to join us for pretties lol

message 25: by Steph (last edited Feb 10, 2014 05:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph | 41 comments Lol, I purposely avoid looking at the time. It's my boyfriend who kept rolling over and asking what time it was and why I was still up. My response, "Go back to sleep, I'm reading, I'll stop in a minute".

But I almost never do.

message 26: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (last edited Feb 10, 2014 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Now back to topic:
What did you think about the story so far, Hannah?
(view spoiler)

I'll start with Chapter 4 now! :)

message 27: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 4-6
(view spoiler)

Do you know that a buddy read that is a re-read is actually not really fun, if I'm the only one posting my opinion? (LOL) Just realised that it's pretty hard to have an unbiased opinion, when you know how the story continues O.O

message 28: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I actually already finished Chapter 10(Fight) now lol
But I like Uglies so far, even though there is nothing happening yet. :)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 2509 comments Still not started.

message 30: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah, I don't want to spoiler you, but I think it's nothing big, so I'll simply say it (it's only a small comment regarding Shay, but if you rather die than know then don't check the spoiler box lol)

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (last edited Feb 12, 2014 02:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by ☆Joycedale☆ (last edited Feb 12, 2014 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☆Joycedale☆ | 1109 comments Jasmin wrote: "Hannah, I don't want to spoiler you, but I think it's nothing big, so I'll simply say it (it's only a small comment regarding Shay, but if you rather die than know then don't check the spoiler box ..."

Does it get really bad? I'm halfway thru pretties and she's just starting to get that way

message 33: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah horrible. :(
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't have any time for reading Uglies today :( But I'll try to read up to Chapter 20 tomorrow!

message 35: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Why are you calling shay shady? lol

message 36: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Part 1 (I'm done with Chapter 16 Infiltrator now, at least I counted 16 lol)
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I read up to Chapter 25 "Work" today, I'll try to finish Part 2 tomorrow and maybe Part 3 on Tuesday. (How do you like this schedule? Do you have a lot of time to read? I remember not wanting to stop Uglies reading most of the times though lol)

The Journey
(view spoiler)

The Smoke
(view spoiler)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 2509 comments I haven't started yet haha.

message 39: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maddison wrote: "I haven't started yet haha."

Then start NOW! :)
Maybe you'll be able to catch up.

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 2509 comments I can't haha. I have books to read for other challenges then I need to read a due library book. Then I'll finish Beautiful Creatures and read Uglies.

message 41: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, I definitely want to finish both Uglies and Beautiful Creatures this month! (But I probably won't do a buddy read for beautiful creatures since the participation is really horrible in Book 1 lol)

message 42: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Part 2
(view spoiler)

☆Joycedale☆ | 1109 comments Can I read Specials and Extras with ya even though I'm on the other team?

message 44: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah wrote: "Lol of course Joycedale :) that's no problem."

Why are you helping our enemy!? *shocked* LOL (Just a joke ^^; saying that for those that are slow on understanding/seeing jokes and might be offended :) )

You read so much today! Damn lol
But I'll try to catch up and the schedule seems alright.. Actually I'd have prefered to read half a part a day, but well.. I have to hurry, right? lol

message 45: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

When I read half a part a day and one part on the last, I'll be finished on the 28th!! XD

message 46: by ☆Joycedale☆ (last edited Feb 16, 2014 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☆Joycedale☆ | 1109 comments Jasmin wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Lol of course Joycedale :) that's no problem."

Why are you helping our enemy!? *shocked* LOL (Just a joke ^^; saying that for those that are slow on understanding/seeing jokes and m..."

Its because she looooves me lol.
Noone in my team is buddy reading this. They're are just starting one for Bloodlines 2day and I've already made it through 3 of them, plan to finish the last one 2day or tomorrow because I have to get it back to the library tuesday (there's 3 holds on it)
I like buddy reads but the only one I found is Beautiful Creatures which I've already read.

message 47: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (last edited Feb 16, 2014 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Actually I catched up today!!

Uglies Part 3
(view spoiler)

Pretties Part 1
(view spoiler)

message 48: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Awesome! I will have Special part 1 done by February 19 :D

message 49: by Jasmin, Cookie Monster :) (new) - rated it 4 stars

(view spoiler)