SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Weight Loss advice and inspirations

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey guys

So, I'm starting this thread cause I really need advice and inspiration on weightloss. I've done well in the past, but this time I'm in a total slump!!! I always obviously want the easy fix, but I know healthy eating and excercise is the way.

My problem? I'm probably one of the laziest people out there. I do go to the gym sometimes, but need extra motivation. We've been posting loads of smoothy recipes on Chriz's thread, and I thought maybe we could share some more here? Healthy eating could only be a benefit for all right? :)

I want to and try to eat healthy, but oh golly sometimes that temptations are just too much for me. How do you guys deal with it? If any of you are using anything to curb your appetite, what is it? If you don't mind sharing?

I'd love to hear from you guys :)

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I suck at healthy living too - I get too lazy to exercise and I eat too much unhealthy food - but I do try and stick to some healthier habits.

- stopped drinking sugary drinks like Coke or Sprite. I opt for sparkling water, red wine, sparkling water mixed with fruit juice or cordial. After a while Coke, Spirite etc. tastes way too sweet to me anyway, and avoiding them completely is easy.
- Took two spoons of sugar in my coffee instead of three. Now three is waaay to sweet. Hoping to cut it down to one, or one and a half.
- I don't eat food I don't like just because it's healthier. I make an effort to find healthy but delicious recipes so that eating healthier is easy an enjoyable, so I end up wanting the healthy option more than the unhealthy one.
- Stop eating junk food like Steers, McDonalds, KFC. This is harder, but after you get used to healthier food with lots of flavour (like fresh herbs), junk food starts to taste really greasy if not gross, and it's easier to avoid.
- Gym. This is hard for me to stick to, especially when I have to get up in the morning and I think about how difficult it is for me to run for a whole 10 minutes. So i'm trying to take it easier now - just walk on the treadmill at an incline for 20-40 minutes, at a brisk pace. Then I use the elliptical machine or some other machine I like. Much easier, feels good, still works up a sweat, and I can listen to an audiobook or podcast (whereas I need music to give me the momentum to run). Helps me look forward to exercising rather than dreading it, and with the podcast I can learn something (by listening to a university lecture, for example) or listen to short stories that I add to my score for the Short Story Challenge.
- Stop eating once you're satisfied and keep the rest for leftovers/takeaway. Admittedly, I'm not good at this one, but I always wish I'd done it when I eat too much and feel sick. It sucks if you indulge yourself but it makes you feel bad anyway, whereas you would have enjoyed your meal more if you just held back a bit.
- Go for fresh, natural options whenever possible rather than food or snacks with lots of artificial ingredients.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Lauren

I love your list!
Thanks so much, I'm going to try some of these.
The thing for me is I have to gym either after work or in the evening. I just can't get up at 04:30 to be at he gym at 5 so that I can get done and then be at work at 7 :(. I wish I could gym in the mornings more because I love to swim at the gym, but only when there are very few people there. Now I gym in the evening, which gives me sligt anxiety because it's so full and I always have to wate for the treadmill to open up.

I like the idea of the audiobooks, but I suck at loading them. I'm technologically impared, so dumb question, can I load them onto my phone? Or does that take too much? I tried before on MP3 Player but it didn't work so well... any advice?

Sparkling water with cordial sounds like something I can do, I love adding lime cordial. Or just lime juice. Sometimes I do crave something sweeter, so passion fruit?

Then, I want to try this smoothy concoction, what do you think: Banana with fat free milk, table spoon of peanut butter and a dash of coco powder and maybe some fat free plain yogurt?

Thanks again for your tips.
Hope more people come and add some :)

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Hey Niecole, I really believe in weight watchers. I lost 4kg's in one month now (previously I lost 9kg's on this diet) but Lauren F is the real success story! She lost 25kg's in 8 months.

WW is the simplest diet for me and I still eat what I like. I really suggest it.

Also neither of us exercises, but it can only help :)

If you wanna know more, just shout!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes Please Lu!!!!!
Where what where lol
Please send me info that you have?

message 6: by Lauren (last edited Feb 07, 2014 12:57AM) (new)

Lauren Smith @Lu: How does WW work if you can eat whatever you want?

@Niecole: I also didn't like gyming after work that much, because that's when most people go and you have to wait. But yeah, I wouldn't take the 4:30/5am option either! Hmm.. Unless you try a shorter gym session in the morning? Like just gym for 20-30 minutes? Or take a slow jog/brisk walk around your neighbourhood in the evenings and on weekends? Could you walk to work? Barbara was saying that's been working very well for her.

Putting a whole audiobook on your phone depends on how much memory you have, but it certainly is possible because your phone just works like a flash disk. If I plug my Blackberry into my computer I can open it up and put audio files in the music or podcast folder, and it will appear on the player. I can't tell you about other phones, but I imagine it's similar. With an iPhone you probably just load audio files through iTunes, or download them directly through iTunes. If you can't fit a whole audiobook, just do a few sections at a time. Or if you want to get into podcasts, they're smaller - 15-100mb, giving you 20-90minutes of audio.

Yep, the cordial is great! Just don't go overboard because it has a lot of sugar in it. You really just want to give the water a light, refreshing flavour.

Lol, admittedly, that smoothie sounds really horrible to me because I don't like bananas, and I'm not a big fan of peanut butter, so the two together just sounds gross! Also, banana and peanut butter sounds a bit calorie-heavy. I'd go for other fruit, especially berries, then mix it with yoghurt and honey. You could go to Kauai or Osumo and see what kinds of combinations they use. They also have lots of 'boosters' that you can add, like ginseng or whatever, that have various functions. I'm sure you could find the powder at shops like Dischem. Check out the labels to find out what they do and use as needed.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Lauren, lol I also reconsiddered the smoothie. What about mango with some fat free yoghurt?
Will go have a look at Dischem

Thanks for the advice on the audio books thing, haha will let you know if I figure out how everything works

I live a rather far from work, so that wont work, but I should go walk with Yuki in the evenings, or mornings, espesially now with the sun coming up so early, and the excercise really can only do that dog good, she's even lazier than I am lol

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Mango sounds good :) I remember a mango and mint one I really liked.

Yeah, try walking. Getting some exercise in the morning will also make you feel better during the day. I find that when I exercise regularly in the mornings (3 or 4 days a week) I don't get sleepy in the middle of the afternoon, and it's easier to get up in the morning.

Lol, while your dog's lazy my cat makes me feel guilty! She runs up and down the stairs when I play fetch with her, so she gets more exercise than I do!

message 9: by Lu (last edited Feb 07, 2014 01:22AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
@Lauren - it is a point based system. Each food is assigned a specific number of points based on calories and saturated fat. There is a booklet that gives you all the foods points and you can work it out with a points calculator :)

Example: Yesterday I had 60gs of biltong, then wholegrain nacho's and weigh less nick naks, then I had 2 chicken burger patties (topped with mayo mixed with nando's sauce) things with 200g grams of oven chips, and a carrot cake thingy from woolworths. That was 18 points for yesterday. I can eat 20 points each day :)

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Oh and there are tons of things which are no points! Like basically all veg etc.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Oh ok, that makes sense. That sounds like one meal and some snacks though - don't you need to spread the 20 points out over 2-3 meals and snacks/drinks?

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
You can eat it any way you want to. I only get hungry at lunch time, so I eat then, and then again at dinner. If i'm hungry at breakfast I eat and just work my points differently. The whole thing about the diet is that you eat when you are hungry. Don't eat if you are not. It doesn't work for me if I eat when I'm not hungry to have lots of meals, I die at dinner time. It is a mistake I made before, and this time I'm just doing it the way my body wants it :) So far so good!

I know Lauren also doesn't eat breakfast, it makes her sick. So she has never done it on this diet.

Oh Mark however eats lots of points at breakfast. He spreads his out. He also just keeps loosing weight.

So I think whatever works for your body :)

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Oh and this morning I was a bit peckish so I had some biltong and coffee (which is basically free! you need like 3-4 cups to get to a point if you have milk). I plan on having some nachos with salsa and cottage cheese soon! And pork chops etc. for dinner :)

Oh and the reason this diet works for me - you can eat carbs!!!! I crave carbs. 1 cup of pasta is 2 points! And 100grams of potato is 1 point. It is AMAZING!

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I like the thing about only eating when you're hungry; I try to do that too, and then stop when I'm satisfied. I think too often we just eat because there's an opportunity, because it's a standard meal time, or you're going along with someone else's schedule. Unfortunately it's harder when you can only eat at certain times, like on your lunch break at work.

I had a healthy psychology professor who said it's best to eat lots of small meals rather than one or two big ones, but of course then you eat healthy things - lots of fresh fruit, whole grain bread, fish, etc.

My problem with dieting though is that I don't necessarily lose weight in the right places. Like my bust will get smaller and maybe my thighs, but I'll still have a big bum and a flabby belly, which just throws my figure all out of proportion. And I'll be lighter but not have much muscle so going up the stairs or having an active day makes me tired.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the WW idea!!!
Feeling very optimistic about it all now

message 16: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I am terrible at dieting. I absolutely want to go out of my mind when I know I am not allowed to eat something. I can go for weeks without for example a chocolate but tell me I am not allowed to eat it and I crave it constantly! I agree that the WW sounds wonderful!

message 17: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I'm probably the worst person to give dieting/fitness advise, however, I can say the following.

Appetite inhibitors are a definite No.
Where they suppress your metabolism, and therefore make you feel less like eating, this doesn't do you any good.
As you eat less, and more infrequently your body stores more fats because its not sure when it will get fed again, and so despite eating less, you don't actually lose weight.

Avoid store bought foods labelled Fat Free.
It has been scientifically proven that the body actually requires some fats. Without some fat in the meal, your digestive tract won’t absorb many of the nutrients - again resulting in the body storing as much as it can, while it can.
..."Fat is filling, enhances taste and supports fat burning; therefore it is necessary for fat loss. Low-fat diets can lead to dry, dull skin and feeling cold easily. Instead of low fat or no-fat eating—be smart about fat. There are “good” fats (i.e., monosaturated and polysaturated fats) and not-so-good fats (i.e., saturated, trans fats)..."

Cereal Bars - despite the ease and convenience of a breakfast on the go - or a quick snack, they're not as healthy as they're marketed to be.
Most cereal bars (and even some cereals) are full of
high fructose corn syrup - which shuts off the switches that control appetite. It's also more easily turned into fat than any other carbohydrate.

Another smoothie idea is the basic Strawberry and Banana mixture.

As for exercise... dance.
While you're making a sandwich, or waiting for the tub to fill - put on some music and jiggy about in whatever space you have available.
It may not be a "complete workout" but it is good for a bit of cardio. :)

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Useful info Jax, thanks! I've also heard bad things about fat free stuff. Like dodgy things or extra sugar they add to improve the taste. I've also heard that diet drinks (like diet coke) are bad because of whatever they use to replace the sugar.

I imagine most of us don't have to worry about getting enough fat for the day although, as you say , there's good and bad fat.

Lu, does WW have info about fats? Or other nutritional info about what you choose to eat? Because I was thinking that the biltong and chips you had isn't exactly healthy even if it doesn't have that many calories.

message 19: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lauren, WW encourages healthy fats like avo, nuts etc. They also push veg by making it no points. The point of the diet is too be full at all times by eating low in point of no points food like veg, salad some fruits and so on.

I on the other hand do not eat any of those things. And that is why I like WW, cause as long as you eat your points and you are not hungry then that is fine.

Then you get Lauren who is not allowed to eat fruit, veg and a whole list of things. So that is why this diet works for her, cause she can eat whatever she can stomach that day - within her points.

Then I know people who love the diet cause they can make a massive salad for almost no points and eat lots of tiny meals a day.

I eat biltong every day for iron. I have to get iron injections and take pills, so I find that I feel better when I eat biltong. The chips, I have a problem with carbs. I only want carbs. The chips I have been eating is because I'm not at home and at the museum. I have yet to figure out if there is a microwave or something. When I am home I eat potatoes topped with tuna, or soup etc.

Whenever I used to try and diet by eating salad or yogurt I would find myself binge eating or actually gain weight from the dairy, so I have just decided to go with what my body wants.

Soz that was a lot of typing lol

message 20: by Lu (last edited Feb 08, 2014 11:22PM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Oh and some of my other favs:

-Potato with a bolognaise sauce over it
-Seed bread with avo and turkey
-Ciabatta with Precutho ham (sp)
-Prawn tomato pasta + chili
-Nando's
-sushi
-fish!!!

message 21: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
probably every Dietician's nightmare :

Potato (either baked or as chips/fries), with bacon and cheese sauce!! :D

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Jax, your post was very insightful, and my father tells me all the time to stop drinking the fat free milk and stop eating the fat free yoghurt.
I love the dance idea as well, thinking of dancing at night a bit... could only do me good

Lu, I emailed WW twice and got no response :(
And I'm so keen on joining them!!!

message 23: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
They can take some time. Have you phoned the leader in your area? It should be on the website? or they will email you the list of the closest meetings. Maybe now that it is Monday you will hear something :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I tried to look for a contact number of someone in my area but couldnt find any.
Do you have a link perhaps of their website? I seem to be going to the international website the whole time.

I really hope so cause I'm keen on starting, but I first need to find out a few things

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
http://www.weightwatchers.co.za/

Call 0861 113 225 (hulle maak 8:30 oop) or Email: info@weightwatchers.co.za

Maar hier:
http://www.weightwatchers.co.za/class...
kan jy ook soek.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks blom
Ekt toe die website gekry (lol ek sukkel mos soms met die tegnologie)

Ekt emails gestuur so ek hoop ek vind gou gou uit, ook die nommer van die vrou wat dit doen in Stellenbosch gekry.

Maar baie dankie vriendin!!!

message 27: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Groot plesier! :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Hallo everyone...
So for those who were wondering, I started WW last week, and yesterday was my first weigh in, and I did very well :)
I'm so excited about all of it and some days I can't even manage to eat all the points lol
I've obviously checked out the sneak eats, and I can have FIVE marshmallows at only ONE point a day lol

Thanks so much Lu for suggesting this.

Have any of you got other great healthy tips?

message 29: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yay glad you did well!

Yea it is amazing how much you get to eat. I love it!

I suggest biltong, winegums, coffee for snacks :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol thanks for the support Lu :)
I do a LOT of coffee... which also fills me up
Snacks at the moment vary as I'm into sweet one day and salty the next. Sweet I go for the marshmallow, but I think I should get some biltong... how do you work out how many points biltong is???

message 31: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Biltong is 30g = 1 point.
But I eat the Woolworths ones because they have stats that can be worked out. With that it is 50g = 3 points

A winegum roll is 1 point!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool thanks!!!
I love Chicken Biltong. But I buy that at my butcher, I wonder how many points that would be? Probably less than normal beef right?

I'm just glad that I'm feeling so positive about it and it seems to be working, and the best is that I don't have to suffer at all, I eat so much!

message 33: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Mark is always surprised at how much we can eat, and he keeps double checking points with me.

Remember you don't have to eat all your points each day, you can save them up. And you don't need to eat if you are full, which can happen (rarely in my case) :)

PS: For lunch I'm having Ciabbata (sp) from woolies with Pruchuto ham (sp)!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds very yummy!!!
sorry but what does (sp) stand for?

Lol I write down everything that I eat with the points, but I get full from the fruit and veg I can eat... and then I have points left over still :)

But it's going well and I'm excercising as well which makes me feel good to

message 35: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Just means I'm not sure how to spell it :)

So glad it is going well!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

lol, there I thought it was some technical abreviation :)

Yeah I'm also glad it's going well.

Only yesterday I had an aweful stomach virus, so I think all the toxins that were left inside me have gone now...

message 37: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Oh no :(
I hope you are feeling better!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

feeling better but still weak... hope at least I lost some weight :-)