Science and Inquiry discussion

General > A general qs about goodreads

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shayan (new)

Shayan | 9 comments Hello

I am trying to add books to my owned list and can't seem to manage it. When I go to a book's page there is an option that says 'Want to read' where I can add it to various shelves but not just to my 'owned books' shelf. Is there any way to accomplish this on a book's main page?

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 334 comments Hi Shayan. If you go into any of your shelf, the list with icons will be to the right of the shelves list. Above the icons will be a "search and add" (magnifying glass icon) blank.

You can also do a "batch edit", which is to the right of the "search and add". For example, suppose you input Einstein into "search and add". All the related books would pop up. You click on "batch edit", then to the left of it, you can scroll to the shelf you want all the Einstein related books to be in. You click on the books you would like in there and can batch input them in the shelf.

message 3: by Shayan (new)

Shayan | 9 comments What you say is true for the shelves but not for the owned books list. There's no batch edit and the quick add function doesn't work very well. For example I can't add different editions of a book using that. Isn't there a way to directly add a book to the owned book list without having to add it to a shelf first?

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 334 comments I'm not sure what you mean by owned books list. The shelves are yours that you can scroll through after you click "batch edit." As far as the different editions of a book, the only way you can do that is go into the individual book and change edition. GR combines editions of a book.

message 5: by Shayan (new)

Shayan | 9 comments On the 'My Books' page there's a tab called 'owned books'...

message 6: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 26 comments The only way I know to designate a book as owned is to select the book itself. Scroll just beneath the optional editions to the small section entitled "My Review." To the bottom right of that section click on "edit review." Above the save button underneath the blank square for comments click on "more options." Now just above the save button is a box to check for owned books.

message 7: by Shayan (new)

Shayan | 9 comments The 'My Review' section is only there for books you've already rated or that are in one of your shelves. It's not there for books you search for in general.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 366 comments The "owned books" shelf might be an exclusive shelf. (I have exclusive shelves for "back at library" and "abandoned," for example.)

message 9: by Betsy, co-mod (last edited Feb 06, 2014 05:11PM) (new)

Betsy | 1668 comments Mod
Owned books is not a shelf in the same way Read or Science Fiction or Currently Reading are. Unless you create your own shelf for that purpose.

The Owned Books feature was set up originally in GR as part of the book exchange program which no longer exists.

However, you can still use it to keep track of the books you own. It's a little bit clunky, but it works.

On your My Books page at the left all your shelves are listed. Scroll down to just below your list of shelf and there is a link for Owned Books. Click that. It brings you to a list of books which you have designated as "owned".

There are two ways to designate a book as "owned". As Daisy indicated in message 6, in the review window for an individual book, near the bottom on the left is a link which says "More options". Click that. It expands the window to the bottom to include some additional fields, one of which is "I own a copy of this book." Click that. It will bring up a couple of additional fields where you can track when and where you purchased the book.

There is also a way to designate multiple books as owned, one after another fairly quickly. Go to your owned books list as indicated above. At the top right is a link that says "Add books I've shelved." Click that.

That brings up a pop up window listing the books on a selected shelf (starting with the Read shelf). Select whichever shelf you want to deal with (Note, you can't do All). Books that have already been marked as owned will be greyed out; those that haven't will be in regular type and there will be a button to "Add to books I own". You will have to scroll down and click each book you want to add. It only lists about 10 at a time, so be sure to change to the next page when you get to the bottom. Also, you may need to do several shelves in order to get all your books.

May sound like it's complicated, but it really goes pretty quickly once you get started.

message 10: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 334 comments Looks like I might be posting what Betsy just said. My GR friend Caroline, who is not a member of this group, asked me to pass this on. I just got home from work so I'm too brain dead to see whether this is a repeat.

"If I understand you correctly, you want to say you own a book without first (or simultaneously) designating it as ‘Read’ or “Want to Read’ on the primary page for the book. You can do that my making an ‘Owned’ book shelf an exclusive shelf. There is only one way I know of, but it has the drawback of preventing that book from also carrying the ‘Read’ or ‘Want to Read’ designation. If you are looking for a way to remind yourself that you thought this looked good at some time in the past and bought it but you haven’t gotten around to doing anything with it, this may work.

Go to your ‘My books’ page. At the top of the left hand list of shelves, select ‘edit'. You will see a list of all of your shelves with checkboxes that govern behavior. Create a new shelf name for owned books that will be a holding place--you don’t want to change the status on your existing ‘owned’ shelf or you will lose information about whether you have already read the book--because a book can only be on one exclusive shelf at a time.

If you check ‘Exclusive’ for this new owned book shelf, it will then appear in the list of shelves that are options when you want to add a book from the books main page, along with ‘Want to Read’, ‘Read’, etc.

This method means the drop down list on the main page can’t simultaneously tell you that you own a book and have read it or want to read it, but it is a way to remind you about things you’ve bought but are not going to get to for a while."

message 11: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 334 comments Didn't notice the "owned books" button. Works like a charm!

message 12: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

There are a lot of features on Goodreads that are not well advertised. But I tend to be a nosy parker and I'm not too afraid to try things out.

There's a thread in the Feedback Group that you might want to bookmark and check periodically:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

It's where Goodreads users post tips about little known features they have discovered. I find it very useful.

message 13: by Shayan (new)

Shayan | 9 comments There should be an easier way to add books to the owned list. I'm going to make a suggestion to Goodreads.

message 14: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Good luck. They don't really support the owned list as a feature, since it was only set up as part of the book exchange, which no longer exists. I agree with you, but I doubt we'd get much response from them.