Struggling Writers discussion

Stuck on Your Writing? > What problems can the main male character' girlfriend( the main female character's enemy) cause in YA books?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments I m kind of stuck! I m writing a YA novel where the boy has a mean gf the girl gad fallen for him. The gf will disturb her a lot like she will tell her to stay away from him and stuff like that. What other problems cab she cause?

message 2: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 82 comments Well if it's YA then probably the characters are all in college right? So the gf can always embarrass the heroine in front of all other students. Then she can also create a bad image of that girl to the hero.

message 3: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Thnx a lot!!

message 4: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 82 comments Did it help??

message 5: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Of course it did!

message 6: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 82 comments Then I am absolutely elated to know that I helped !!

message 7: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Ingrid | 932 comments Mod
The boy's girlfriend is symbolized as an overly jealous mean girl, right? So it depends. How mean do you want her to be? Do you want her to toy with Faith's mental state of mind, by feeding her lies about Asher and her? Do you want her to be threatening? How are her looks compared to your girl protag. and is that an advantage? I'm not sure if the guy gradually falls in love with the girl while still being in a relationship, or if the girlfriend cheats before he falls in love with the girl, but either way, what makes the guy drawn to his girlfriend in the first place, and is he willing to sacrifice that to be with Faith? There are so many nits and tricks you could experiement with. Hope some of these ideas help you

message 8: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Thnx Ingrid! Yeah that gf is really pretty and Faith is average looking but its not about looks. And how about this: as his parents she was with him and consoled him and all and she was his high school crush? Is that a good reason y he is drawn to her or shud I think of more?

message 9: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Ingrid | 932 comments Mod
It's definitely a start:). If it's her emotional demeanor that changes due to her jealousy, then be sure to state that also.